Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Your favorite movie monsters

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1    Spore

Spore

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 175 posts

• Divine Abyss

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Anguirus
Destoroyah
Gigan
King Kong
Godzilla
King Ghidorah
Mechagodzilla 2
Mechagodzilla 3
Megalon
  Orga
Rodan
Hedorah Mecha-King Ghidorah
Mothra   Newer movie monsters & others=       Alien Queen , "Clover"  , Sharktopus, The Blob,  Kraken, if I didnt add your favorite, please add :yes:

#2    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

THE THING!

Posted Image

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#3    Spore

Spore

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 175 posts

• Divine Abyss

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

nasty looking, but nice ^ :lol:

#4    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

Mecha Streisand

Posted Image

#5    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

XENOMORPH

Edited by Hasina, 15 January 2013 - 09:58 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#6    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,212 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Kind of old school for me...

Dracula (the Christopher Lee version is my favorite) - absolute evil - with class...
The Monster - From "Young Frankenstein" - the zipper in the neck was perfect!...
The Creature from the Black lagoon - Kind of felt sorry for him/it
The Alien - From "Alien"
The Pod People - From "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"

#7    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• 1,513 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

This is more along the lines of the OP as far as the Toho movie monsters, but mine, maybe only in second to Godzilla, would be the Green Gargantua from 'War of the Gargantuas'.  It's a cheezy 60's movie but probably has more scenes of the monsters themselves than any of the era (not sure about the Gamera movies though, never was in to those).  Anyway, the Green Gargantua was the only giant monster from the Godzilla pantheon that I'm aware of that actually ate people, and he was scary looking on his own.  At the age that I first saw it, perfect stuff for many nightmares.

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#8    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Godzilla definitely. Although I rather like the 90s iteration (especially the "meltdown" one).

I have a soft spot for both Anguirus and Baragon, but probably because Baragon's a wee bit ridiculous. King Ghidorah too, and that giant robotic funky chicken Gigan :)

The Alien from Alien.

Pumpkinhead (hell yeah!)

Is it racist to include Jawas? Because... you know... they're a fully realised alien species... ?

I have to admit I also have a soft spot for werewolves: Dog Soldiers, Lon Chaney Jr (it's common knowledge he was, in fact, a wolfie), the wolves from A Company Of Wolves (which are essentially wolves that take on the guise of people).

Gwangi!!!!! In fact nearly any Harryhausen creation: Medusa (who scared the crap out of me as a pup), Talos, the hydra, the gryphon in Sinbad, the sea monster in Titans... the list goes on forever... Oh and Bubo!

And since Cthulhu was in his own movie by the HPLHS; Him too!!! :D

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#9    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Count Orlock (both Max Schreck and Klaus Kinski) - Nosferatu
Erik (Lon Chaney) - The Phantom Of The Opera
Count Dracula (Christopher Lee) - Horror Of Dracula
The Monster (Boris Karloff) - Frankenstein, Bride Of Frankenstein, & Son Of Frankenstein
The Monster (Christopher Lee) - The Curse Of Frankenstein
Mr Hyde (Frederick March) - Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde
Lola The Panther Woman (Kathleen Burke) - Island Of Lost Souls
Larry Talbot (Lon Chaney Jr) - The Wolf Man
Irena (Simone Simon) - Cat People
Imhotep (Boris Karloff) - The Mummy
Kharis (Christopher Lee) - The Mummy
Ants - THEM!
The Pod People - Invasion Of The Body Snatchers
The Thing (James Arness & Carpenter remake) - The Thing From Another World
Asa & Igor (Barbara Steele & Arturo Dominici) - Black Sunday
Leon Corledo (Oliver Reed) - The Curse Of The Werewolf
Anna (Jacqueline Pearce) - The Reptile
Michael Myers (Nick Castle) - Halloween
Alien - ALIEN
David (David Naughton) - An American Werewolf In London
Eddie Quist (Robert Picardo) - The Howling
Tarman - Return Of The Living Dead
Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund) - A Nightmare On Elm Street
Dr Hill (David Gale) - The Re-Animator
Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger) - The Terminator
Brundle Fly (Jeff Goldbloom) - The Fly
Pinhead (Doug Bradley) - Hellraiser
Pumpkinhead
Count Dracula (Gary Oldman) - Bram Stoker's Dracula

Many, many kaiju creatures previously listed.

I will probably post up more as they occur to me but that's all for now!

View PostLiquid Gardens, on 15 January 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

This is more along the lines of the OP as far as the Toho movie monsters, but mine, maybe only in second to Godzilla, would be the Green Gargantua from 'War of the Gargantuas'.  It's a cheezy 60's movie but probably has more scenes of the monsters themselves than any of the era (not sure about the Gamera movies though, never was in to those).  Anyway, the Green Gargantua was the only giant monster from the Godzilla pantheon that I'm aware of that actually ate people, and he was scary looking on his own.  At the age that I first saw it, perfect stuff for many nightmares.

GAIRA!

Edited by B Jenkins, 16 January 2013 - 12:58 AM.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#10    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,182 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

The Thing and Freddy Krueger plus many that you have already mentioned.

#11    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• 1,513 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

View PostB Jenkins, on 15 January 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

GAIRA!

Ha!!  Thanks, I knew he had a name, I was thinking 'Sanda' or 'Saida' or something like that, maybe that's the brown one.  Terrifying stuff though, even when Godzilla was mean he didn't eat people, he might burn or stomp you or smash you with his tail.  Definitely nothing along the lines of looking in a window, reaching in and grabbing someone, and stuffing them in your mouth and chewing; as far as terror, that's on a whole other level compared to things like giant flying spinning flaming turtles.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#12    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

View PostLiquid Gardens, on 16 January 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

Ha!!  Thanks, I knew he had a name, I was thinking 'Sanda' or 'Saida' or something like that, maybe that's the brown one.  Terrifying stuff though, even when Godzilla was mean he didn't eat people, he might burn or stomp you or smash you with his tail.  Definitely nothing along the lines of looking in a window, reaching in and grabbing someone, and stuffing them in your mouth and chewing; as far as terror, that's on a whole other level compared to things like giant flying spinning flaming turtles.

Yes, War Of The Gargantuas has plenty of horror elements and I like the dualism between the two monsters too. Gaira is a horrific kaiju creation with a frightening appearance and his scream is chilling. This film scared me too as a child watching it on Saturday afternoons. It is one of my favorite if not very favorite kaiju monster films. Maybe a tie between it and Godzilla vs Hedorah.

There is only one other kaiju film that approach the horror of this film to me as a child and that was Rodan with those giant mutant grubs in the flooded mineshaft that would pull people under the water.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#13    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,484 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

I like the old ones too..... Frankenstein, Swampthing, and the Wolfman rocked.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#14    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• 1,513 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

View PostB Jenkins, on 16 January 2013 - 01:57 AM, said:

Yes, War Of The Gargantuas has plenty of horror elements and I like the dualism between the two monsters too. Gaira is a horrific kaiju creation with a frightening appearance and his scream is chilling. This film scared me too as a child watching it on Saturday afternoons. It is one of my favorite if not very favorite kaiju monster films. Maybe a tie between it and Godzilla vs Hedorah.

There is only one other kaiju film that approach the horror of this film to me as a child and that was Rodan with those giant mutant grubs in the flooded mineshaft that would pull people under the water.

I remember checking out the TV guide in the paper every week and would check the weekend horror/creature feature listings hoping for War of the Gargantuas, it was to me the tops at the time.  In almost every other kaiju from that era it seems that there are long stretches where the monster is not in the scene, even some of the later ones also, but Gargantuas does not have that problem.  The only criticism I have is that the middle scene with Gaira vs the military is a bit long, but other than it's solid all around.  Ha, I had forgotten about that Rodan scene, that is another nightmare-inducing one.  I saw Gargantuas when I was probably way too young, maybe 5 or so, those are about the earliest repeat nightmares I recall ever having.  They didn't last long, but then my older cousins took me a few years later to see Jaws (PG my butt) and that was the end of restful sleep for another while.

#15    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

View PostDancingCorpse, on 15 January 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

THE THING!

Posted Image
CORRECTION! THE PALMER THING!

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users