Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Video game violence

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: Do video games contribute to violence? (77 member(s) have cast votes)

Do video games contribute to violence?

1. Yes (6 votes [7.79%])

Percentage of vote: 7.79%

2. No (39 votes [50.65%])

Percentage of vote: 50.65%

3. They might influence to a certain degree, but you don't suddenly forget the difference between right and wrong (32 votes [41.56%])

Percentage of vote: 41.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

With the US shooting the debate around video game violence has regained attention. I was wondering what everyone's insight is on this topic.

Some articles that might be of interest for argumentation:

Shooting renews argument over video-game violence
http://www.google.co...2b21e3dd4ed7dc4

Power in Games: Why Game Violence is a Red Herring
http://www.gamasutra...Red_Herring.php

Do violent video games lead to real violence?

electronics.howstuffworks.com/video-game-violence.htm

#2    Angelicon

Angelicon

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

POPULAR

Always easier to blame video games then your own failures as parents, friends or associates of people who do wrong to other people. People need to learn to start taking responsibilities for things.

#3    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

• WRATH

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

Only as much as every other piece of Media. Art depicts violence, as does literature, film and music and yet it always comes back to video games.

I think there's a high correlation between troubled teens and seclusion and in seclusion, gaming is a great escape and real-life substitute both visually and as a stimulant and so the mere fact that some messed up kids play games and then go on a shooting spree is probably because they were messed up in the first place. (Although I'd bet one or two nut-bars got a little inspiration from a game..and film,book and painting)

'See that guy who shoot up that mall? yeah did you know he was an avid reader of the Peter Pan books?!'
'Srsly?!1'
'Ya'
'They must be the cause of this whole mess, BAN PETER PAN, BAN PETER PAN.'

We look for reasons and patterns on which to blame to nasty things in life without realising that they've been festering in our heads all along.

Edited by Sean93, 21 December 2012 - 12:48 AM.

"Regarding life, the wisest men of all ages have judged it alike: It is worthless."

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

#4    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,474 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

If a person is really that weak, gullible, impressionable and totally out of control with their impulses that they are moved to commit acts of murder because of something they seen on a screen, read in a book, heard in a song or just eavesdropping then they already had a problem long ago.

Lethanial is right, it is always easy to blame outside sources, acting as if we are so weak and vulnerable that we cannot possibly control ourselves and that we are just mere pawns, reacting to whatever we see or hear without any will of our own.

Yes..I agree that individuals need to be far more responsible for their actions and stop acting like they were helpless pawns once they got caught red-handed. (Yes, I am aware there are exceptions but I am speaking in general terms here.)

#5    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:07 AM

Violent games doesn't make people violent, people get drawn towards the things they like. Just because people play it does not mean they will do it unless they have issues. If a person gets influenced by something that easy, it's a personal problem not a media problem. Ok maybe If the majority of the population who played violent video games went out and GTA/Manhunt'ed everything then maybe you could blame video games.

People just want to blame something for things they cannot understand. Just a witch hunt.

#6    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,830 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:45 AM

I posted this video before on a different thread. It's an experiment to see if video games involving shooting are 'mass shooting simulators/trainers'.

From Penn & Teller's: Bullsh!t.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#7    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:37 AM

My ten year old son is playing Black Ops 2 as I type this. I have no concern for his ability to be responsible. But I am blessed with a great child. Not everyone is.

#8    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

Penn&Teller :tsu:

Anyway:

Why Video Games Don't Correlate to Gun Violence

Posted Image

Fisher shows that the trend line for the graph actually has a downward slope, meaning more video games do not mean more gun violence. The graph also goes on to show how much of an outlier the United States is when it comes to gun-related murders.

http://www.theatlant...ce-chart/60079/

Ten-country comparison suggests there’s little or no link between video games and gun murders

http://www.washingto...nd-gun-murders/

Look at Korea. South-Korea has a game culture like you wouldn't believe. You're treated like Justin Bieber over there if you're a gamer.
And no higher gun related assaults that correlate with that. What can be said is that it's prohibited for a civilian to own a gun there.....

#9    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• 1,571 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:03 AM

View PostRender, on 21 December 2012 - 06:55 AM, said:

Penn&Teller :tsu:

Anyway:

Why Video Games Don't Correlate to Gun Violence

Posted Image

http://www.theatlant...ce-chart/60079/

Ten-country comparison suggests there’s little or no link between video games and gun murders

http://www.washingto...nd-gun-murders/

Look at Korea. South-Korea has a game culture like you wouldn't believe. You're treated like Justin Bieber over there if you're a gamer.
And no higher gun related assaults that correlate with that. What can be said is that it's prohibited for a civilian to own a gun there.....

The graph is interesting. A good illustration of what is obvious to everyone - except more than a few Americans.

It's not about guns. It's not about video games, or TV violence, or just about any other social factor that can be dreamed up.

It's about Americans.
(sorry, but there's no nice way of saying it)

#10    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,138 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:07 AM

Maybe video games is more of an outlet and with out them more nuts would be doing it for real.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#11    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

My kid is playing Black Ops 2 again. He just turned it back on since my last post 27hrs ago. The last time he played. Should I be seeking help for him. Possibly medication ?

Oh hes 10. Cant wait much longer to address this issue.

Edited by AsteroidX, 21 December 2012 - 08:13 AM.

#12    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,830 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

I play video games fairly often. I think some of them are a good challenging thing to try. I'm also working hard and learning to play the drums. I doubt video games would suddenly make me want to be violent and shoot people. I've never played a game shooting game and wished I could go do that in real life.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#13    evil_kenshin

evil_kenshin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

I've played violent games all the way since doom back when I was 6. I haven't gone on any massacres or attacking people so video games are just a scapegoat for when these situations occur.

#14    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,753 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

A virtual world is different from a physical weapon.

Posted Image

#15    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,118 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

It seems likely, but not certain, that violent video games would be some sort of factor in the final equation.  I think I've read that the military uses shooting video games as some sort of assessment tool for potential recruits.

If killing people becomes part of a game, can that attitude be transferred to real life?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users