Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

GPs to prescribe self-help books

gps self-help books library

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 31 January 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

Old guy comes to the doctor for a checkup. "You seem to be 20 years younger than your age" seez the doctor.

"Well", seez the guy,"that is because I never drank, never smoked never ate any sweets and never had anything with women, now I will celebrate my 80th next week"

The doctor scratches his head and seez "Interesting, may I ask with what you will celebrate?"

I..have read this five times now and I still can not seem to grasp this. The guy only 'seemed' to be 20 years younger than his age. Was his age actually 80 years? He never drank. Never smoked. Never ate any sweets, nor never had anything with women. I'm trying to figure out what else he could do. How would an assumed 80 year old man celebrate his birthday?
I am not taking the p**s. I sincerely do not get the joke. Maybe my Virgo is thinking too much on this... or my INTJ.
What is the pun?
(The above was stated with no intention to offend or to cause ill-Will. I simply stated the above in all honesty.)

Kindest Regards.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#17    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,209 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostAsadora, on 31 January 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

I..have read this five times now and I still can not seem to grasp this. The guy only 'seemed' to be 20 years younger than his age. Was his age actually 80 years? He never drank. Never smoked. Never ate any sweets, nor never had anything with women. I'm trying to figure out what else he could do. How would an assumed 80 year old man celebrate his birthday?
I am not taking the p**s. I sincerely do not get the joke. Maybe my Virgo is thinking too much on this... or my INTJ.
What is the pun?
(The above was stated with no intention to offend or to cause ill-Will. I simply stated the above in all honesty.)

Kindest Regards.

Ok, maybe you get it in the other version:

Guy comes to the doctor and seez he is sick.

"Well, do you smoke"?
"No, never did"
"Do you drink?"
"No, I am a teetotaler"
"Do you have much sex?"
"No, I am a monk and I take my vows very seriously"

The doctor scratches his head, reaches for a book on a shelf behind him and says "Don't worry, I will find something to forbid you".

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#18    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 31 January 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

Ok, maybe you get it in the other version:

Guy comes to the doctor and seez he is sick.

"Well, do you smoke"?
"No, never did"
"Do you drink?"
"No, I am a teetotaler"
"Do you have much sex?"
"No, I am a monk and I take my vows very seriously"

The doctor scratches his head, reaches for a book on a shelf behind him and says "Don't worry, I will find something to forbid you".

OH!!!!! I get it now!!! The second version was better (for me). Thank you for giving your time in order for me to understand and get the pun second time around.

:clap:

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#19    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Many questions about the practicality of this. What if, as has already been mentioned, there is no library nearby, as could be the case these days, or the patient is only served by a mobile library, which isn't very frequent? What if the patient cannot get to the library? What if the library does not have the particular book that was recommended? Can libraries be sued by loved ones of a family member who self harmed or worse because they could not provide the prescribed material?

Side note: I didn't know people went to their GP with relationship problems. Maybe a self help book could work with that kind of issue.

However (and importantly), I'm not convinced that self help books will actually do anything to help people who are genuinely depressed and are reaching out for help. I would be deeply offended if I worked myself up to going to the GP to ask for help, thinking I have depression, and to be essentially told to go read a book.

Posted Image

#20    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,374 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

View Postealdwita, on 31 January 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

Somebody stop this thread degenerating into a "When I went to the doctor's......" debacle!
  Yep you are correct, but if you were being chased by a Lion, who or what would you rely on to get away, a doctor or your Horse ? Sadly G.P's are well overpaid for giving out pills, or passing you on to a Hospital "for futher tests", I was at the the Docs last week,I got a prescription for pills,took 2 ,then got a frantic phone call saying come to the surgery immediately ,dont take any pills, we have given you the wrong ones.Ah well you gotta "pop" off sometime.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#21    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:00 AM

So instead of being sent to one those NHS shrinks who are fighting for their own jobs while many mental health patients are being forced  back onto the streets, you can just pop over to the local library....oh wait, its not so local anymore because many libraries have been closed down:

http://www.telegraph...he-stories.html

But for all those who are illiterate, its ok because you can always go and see the NHS shrink because soon they will be able to fit you in as they have turfed out all the mental cases back onto the streets:
http://www.telegraph...y-NHS-cuts.html

It seems quite obvious why the doctors are sending people with depression to the libraries, they have no where else to send them and they are not trained to deal with these patients and getting away with prescribing some pharmaceuticals tablets is not helping, as well as costing to NHS too much when the money.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#22    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

And what is this supposed to do for them ?
What if they don't like to read. Reading and taking a pill,are two very different things .
It has no placebo affect either .

Miss me?

#23    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,206 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:33 AM

How to fashion a noose from almost anything is a great Government Publication.  Sadly... it's only available by prescription to the terminally ill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users