Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

You don't always know what you're saying

Still Waters

The dominant model of how speech works is that it is planned in advance — speakers begin with a conscious idea of exactly what they are going to say. But some researchers think that speech is not entirely planned, and that people know what they are saying in part through hearing themselves speak.

http://www.nature.co...-saying-1.15136

• Like 1

"know what they are saying in part through hearing themselves speak."

Welcome to PMS. Some sufferers could have told science that.

The dominant model of how speech works is that it is planned in advance — speakers begin with a conscious idea of exactly what they are going to say. But some researchers think that speech is not entirely planned, and that people know what they are saying in part through hearing themselves speak.

http://www.nature.co...-saying-1.15136

I have found that this describes the way I write. I just begin, the words flow and the message is there - I'm often not specifically conscious of what I'm going to "say" until it's on the page.

I don't think consciously we really know what we're going to say next except in a general way. No one plans beforehand every word they're going to speak in their next spoken sentence. It just comes out.

In this sense, I think our subconscious mind is the entity that plans speech. I agree with 'and then' in the above comment. When I'm writing a story the dialog pretty much writes itself, but when I'm writing descriptively I have to think about it.

I think this demonstrates, for me anyway, that speech is mostly already composed before it is spoken.

bleep cleep chimney