Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jesus Tshirts banned

The Id3al Experience

I love how us humans have all this free will and free speech.

Obviously it may be offensive to people. but i still beleive it shouldnt be banned. If you dont like it dont buy it. simple.

If you take offense to it. Get over yourself. Release your ego :)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6420730/Jesus-is-a-c-retailer-fined

Edited by The Id3al Experience

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• Beckys_Mom

• Paranoid Android

• Kazahel

You should know by now that all normal rights and privileges go out the window when religion is involved.

That band Cradle of Filth has a habit of getting banned in places, due to their shock rock themes.

Edited by Jerry Only

First, I disagree with the ruling - if you don't like a t-shirt, don't buy it. But don't demand a retailer be fined for stocking a product. Yes, even if that product is "Jesus is a c***". And this coming from a Christian, shock horror.

Second, I would think Cradle of Filth is using this logo as "shock value" more than anything - I don't think they've actually got anything against Jesus per se (more likely against the followers of Jesus).

Third - Cradle of Filth was one of my favourite bands when I was growing up. Up until I heard this story I still was a big Cradle fan (though I haven't heard a lot of their newer stuff). They've lost a fan today. I've always known them to be non-Christian (or even anti-Christian) but I've always been able to push that aside. With such marketing, I am not sure I can do that any longer (for the record, they would lose me as a fan if their shirt said "Mohammed was a c***", or "Siddhartha Gauatama was a c***", or even "L. Ron Hubbard was a c***". I can't abide anything like it).

Edited by Paranoid Android

First, I disagree with the ruling - if you don't like a t-shirt, don't buy it. But don't demand a retailer be fined for stocking a product. Yes, even if that product is "Jesus is a c***". And this coming from a Christian, shock horror.

Second, I would think Cradle of Filth is using this logo as "shock value" more than anything - I don't think they've actually got anything against Jesus per se (more likely against the followers of Jesus).

Third - Cradle of Filth was one of my favourite bands when I was growing up. Up until I heard this story I still was a big Cradle fan (though I haven't heard a lot of their newer stuff). They've lost a fan today. I've always known them to be non-Christian (or even anti-Christian) but I've always been able to push that aside. With such marketing, I am not sure I can do that any longer (for the record, they would lose me as a fan if their shirt said "Mohammed was a c***", or "Siddhartha Gauatama was a c***", or even "L. Ron Hubbard was a c***". I can't abide anything like it).

I'd feel the same,PA. I am Christian and I do not feel the need to publicly hate on other religions. It's wrong, crass and boring. I think the reason Christians are singled out for the most part is that we're an easy mark. The haters depend on the dogma of Christianity to protect them. Brave souls that they are, I wonder why they don't sell a "Mohammed is a whatever"..t shirt? It's odd to me that a group of people need to attempt to publicly offend another group.

It is also free speech to express when one is offended.

Sock Value sells, sex sells. People use these tactics often to sell, I always thought it was to make up for a lack of talent. I agree with PA. It is going out of your way to cheese people of to get a reaction. We should all be smarter than to fall for tactics. I applaud PA for dumping them on the grounds that their tactics shocked a fan into no longer buying their goods. I wish more people would do this so we can get back to relying on actual talent. It reminds me a little of when a New Zealand fellow was painting his backpacker vans with disgusting slogans. When sitting at the lights with your 6 year old daughter, and some crappy old noisy van rolls up at the lights with a slogan telling women to “shut up and open their legs”, how do you explain what the slogan means to such a young child who can read? I pay taxes for a clean city. If it is in your face, I think one has the right to object, and lets face it, the twerps that think something like this is cool will probably hang out around a church smoking cigaretts or the like to get a reaction to the shirt. That is inciting anomosity, and I think we should be more mature as a species than this.

And PA brought up the most pertinent point, it is likely they are indifferent to the slogan, lets see these coward do the same with an Anti Islam rant. We all know how that would end.

Edited by psyche101

Some things are morally not acceptable, sooo ummm if I go and put my Achmed t-shirt on that says, "I keel YOU" am I gunna get blown out of the water?unsure.gif In this day and age your lucky if some wears enough to cover up appropipriately let alone what's on their t-shirt. Dissing god is harmless compared to what I've seen and read.

I find it offensive when I see women made to cover their face, but my tax dollars still has to put up with It.disgust.gif If your religious what are doing in a Novelty shop that sells them, Get back to church. tongue.gif

Well I dont believe in jesus but if I saw somebody wearing that 't' shirt I would find it offensive. Not because it had the word jesus, or whoever it was refering to, but just the use of the 'c' word, even with asterisks, is offensive. I just dont like the word. I dont like seeing it written and it's even worse hearing it being used.

But then I am a stuck up sticky beak Brit lol :innocent:

Well I dont believe in jesus but if I saw somebody wearing that 't' shirt I would find it offensive. Not because it had the word jesus, or whoever it was refering to, but just the use of the 'c' word, even with asterisks, is offensive. I just dont like the word. I dont like seeing it written and it's even worse hearing it being used.

Well, it might seem that I may well be a Bogan according to Bogan dot com. I like ACDC quite a lot, and do not mind a bit of Chisel either. However, I too cannot stand the use of the word, and also find public usage offensive. We Bogans have rather high moral values you see.

How does one explain this slogan to a child that might view the shirt, and can read? I think the issue is far larger than ones right to feel they are acting cool.

Some things are morally not acceptable, sooo ummm if I go and put my Achmed t-shirt on that says, "I keel YOU" am I gunna get blown out of the water?unsure.gif In this day and age your lucky if some wears enough to cover up appropipriately let alone what's on their t-shirt. Dissing god is harmless compared to what I've seen and read.

I find it offensive when I see women made to cover their face, but my tax dollars still has to put up with It.disgust.gif If your religious what are doing in a Novelty shop that sells them, Get back to church. tongue.gif

Good thing you were not too privy to Wicked Camper Vans, those slogans were downright derogatory to females in general. I Keel you is funny, and it's from the telly commercial about ring tones isn't it? But using the C word in public is just not on. People who buy this shirt will not exclusively wear it to adult venues only. It's not the dissing God bit, it's the C word in public. I can just see some angsty teen proudly displaying their rebellious nature at the local Shopping Centre and some little kid pointing and asking Mummy what that means. I used to have a Radiators T Shirt when I was a young man that displayed one of their hit songs names, and I am sure you know the track I mean, but I only wore it to Night clubs.

Didn't help either. Waste of 10 bucks. Should have claimed it on tax. I understand about the veil, I do not think it is appropriate in this country either, but that is not slander and swearing in little kids faces. This is. Like Graffiti cleaning, I expect the councils to clean this filth up as well.

Edited by psyche101

I Keel you is funny, and it's from the telly commercial about ring tones isn't it?

"I keel you" is what the hack comedian Jeff Dunham's puppet character "Achmed the Dead Terrorist"'s catchphrase is.

220px-Jeff_Dunham_and_Achmed.JPG

Obviously it may be offensive to people. but i still beleive it shouldnt be banned. If you dont like it dont buy it. simple.

So you wouldn't be upset if that word was applied directly to you, I take it ? I would automatically classify anyone wearing a t-shirt with such on it as a "grub". That is just my right to free thought !

Its just an immature shock value statement...I dont see anything wrong with the shirt being available, but like other explicit language or behaviour, is best kept away from the general public and viewed between consenting, irresponsible ;) adults

He sold a lot of them before they were banned.. It must mean a lot of people saw the humour in them or thought they were cool..

I personally wouldn't wear anything that contained bad language on it.. I wouldn't care what it was.. BUT in saying that, I wouldn't complain about those who do wear them...

1329276873[/url]' post='4204457']

1329280288[/url]' post='4204515']

Well, it might seem that I may well be a Bogan according to Bogan dot com. I like ACDC quite a lot, and do not mind a bit of Chisel either. However, I too cannot stand the use of the word, and also find public usage offensive. We Bogans have rather high moral values you see.

How does one explain this slogan to a child that might view the shirt, and can read? I think the issue is far larger than ones right to feel they are acting cool.

Honestly that "word" is used waaaay too much down under, "G'day ya, ____" how's it Goin ____? Not pretty. Achmed totally rocks btw. devil.gif I got called It once by a scrag at the club, had her hands on my man bailed her up and she mouthed off called me a stupid such and such"so I kicked her ____ then proceeded to inform her, she won't be using hers any time soon. yes.gif

Otherwise I refuse to use the word generally.innocent.gifSome t-shirts are funny , some so wrong they are far from amusing, vulgar mostly.Oh and when ever I see a turban or burka, it makes me sick, sorry but the news has done it too me.disgust.gif

So you wouldn't be upset if that word was applied directly to you, I take it ? I would automatically classify anyone wearing a t-shirt with such on it as a "grub". That is just my right to free thought !

I wouldnt care if that word was applied to me. It would probably make me laugh. It's not my style of clothing though but I guess some of the younger would like it. I wouldnt think of them as grubby. I would think of them as young.

Anyway I think its a little boring in this case and is trying too hard to get shock value. It needed a more poetic touch or something.

Mainly I think people should not be too offended. Jesus wouldve forgiven them I suppose because he was a smart...

Edited by Kazahel

"I keel you" is what the hack comedian Jeff Dunham's puppet character "Achmed the Dead Terrorist"'s catchphrase is.

220px-Jeff_Dunham_and_Achmed.JPG

That's the one!

I wouldnt care if that word was applied to me. It would probably make me laugh. It's not my style of clothing though but I guess some of the younger would like it. I wouldnt think of them as grubby. I would think of them as young.

Anyway I think its a little boring in this case and is trying too hard to get shock value. It needed a more poetic touch or something.

Mainly I think people should not be too offended. Jesus wouldve forgiven them I suppose because he was a smart...

So I am not smart because I dont like foul language? I am not smart because I would find it offensive? i am not smart because I dont like to see young children exposed to this sort if language? I am not smart, because if it was MY kid wearing that t shirt I would have a few things to say to him/her. (not that either of my two would wear such a thing as they were brought up to respect other's feelings)

IMO it is much smarter not to use these words in the first place.

I dont like to see or hear foul language being used just for the sake of it.

I am not saying I have never used such words (with the exception of the C word which I do not use) but to see it flashed all over a t shirt or to hear it used unnecessarily is, IMO extremely bad manners at the very least.

There is nothing worse than hearing somebody having a conversation where the F word or the C word is used every other word! Totally unnecesary, yet some people cannot (or dont know how to) make up a sentance without the use of these words.

edit. Kazahel....apologies in advance if I took your 'smart' meaning the wrong way :) (none if I didn't lol)

Edited by Englishgent

He sold a lot of them before they were banned.. It must mean a lot of people saw the humour in them or thought they were cool..

But what sort of person would think such is cool? I would think only people who like to buck the system or have authority issues. Personally, I have no time for stirrers.

I personally wouldn't wear anything that contained bad language on it.. I wouldn't care what it was.. BUT in saying that, I wouldn't complain about those who do wear them...

What if some teen wore this to the local shopping mall and your daughter asked you to explain the phrase? I think we are expecting people to act responsibly with such item, and the type of people who buy such items are not going to fall into this category.

So I am not smart because I dont like foul language? I am not smart because I would find it offensive? i am not smart because I dont like to see young children exposed to this sort if language? I am not smart, because if it was MY kid wearing that t shirt I would have a few things to say to him/her. (not that either of my two would wear such a thing as they were brought up to respect other's feelings)

But would you forgive someone if they wore such a thing? Jesus might not of liked it.. or maybe he might not of cared.. either way I think He wouldve forgiven someone over it and not let that taint His love.

So yeah.

But what sort of person would think such is cool?

Those that went out to buy them... The article says they sold a lot.. Obviously someone liked them enough to shell out and wear them. . I know plenty of people that think those sort of things are cool and funny.I have seen them all before in real life..... Not me personally. This world is full of all sorts... No point in denying that, we all know it takes all sorts in this world

What if some teen wore this to the local shopping mall and your daughter asked you to explain the phrase? I think we are expecting people to act responsibly with such item, and the type of people who buy such items are not going to fall into this category.

Then I will explain it to her.......In general though - Just because I may not like that sort of thing..Does not in any way give me the right to look down my nose at anyone else that likes it... I am not some arrogant or selfish person that thinks ok I do not like how this is or that is ...So I do not think it is nice, so no one else should... It is none of my business what other people wear to be honest... I cannot complain and wont lower myself to complain either. I see no point, not if I am not bothered about what other people wear.... I keep myself to myself in public at all times.. I have seen much worse in public.. I just ignore it

Personally, I have no time for stirrers.

Simple then isn't it? Ignore them, if you have no time for them, ignore them.. I do it al the time.. I see no point in making a big deal over it.. It is none of my business what strangers in the street like to wear..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

But would you forgive someone if they wore such a thing? Jesus might not of liked it.. or maybe he might not of cared.. either way I think He wouldve forgiven someone over it and not let that taint His love.

So yeah.

That is benevolence, not brilliance.

That is benevolence, not brilliance.

I think it could be argued that its the same thing.

You might not think its smart to be forgiving but that doesnt mean I agree.

Those that went out to buy them... The article says they sold a lot.. Obviously someone liked them enough to shell out and wear them. . I know plenty of people that think those sort of things are cool and funny.I have seen them all before in real life..... Not me personally. This world is full of all sorts... No point in denying that, we all know it takes all sorts in this world

The article only says they sold a lot of hoodies the previous winter. This run went on sale only days before the arrest. I do not associate with people my age that would find that funny. Can't say I would like to to be honest, it paints a very dim picture of an adult. You say you are not one to judge, but is that not what the slogan is doing? And yes, the world is full of all sorts, and many in prison. No denying it, but a society does not have to live with ratbags either. Lets face it, any person with an ounce of respect would not wear such rubbish filth in public. Misguided youth I feel are probably going to be that largest contingent of buyers I would expect. I have to say, for a person who usually has such strong opinions, your offer liberal views to certain crowds that makes one intensely curious.

Then I will explain it to her.......In general though - Just because I may not like that sort of thing..Does not in any way give me the right to look down my nose at anyone else that likes it... I am not some arrogant or selfish person that thinks ok I do not like how this is or that is ...So I do not think it is nice, so no one else should... It is none of my business what other people wear to be honest... I cannot complain and wont lower myself to complain either. I see no point, not if I am not bothered about what other people wear.... I keep myself to myself in public at all times.. I have seen much worse in public.. I just ignore it

What about the highly sexualised image of a Catholic nun as stated in the article? Can you explain that to your daughter? It is not about being arrogant, or about looking down your nose, we all live in a society and as such we need to try and make it comfortable for all people. Wearing a filthy slogan like this and then placing graphic images on there as well is is going out of ones way to make people in general feel uncomfortable. The people who wear the shirt are the ones on the offensive here. There is nothing wrong in asking someone to maintain values in public, we all have to live in the public, so we all get a say. This is a minority group, and therefore were punished and censored by the wishes laid down by the community. Not harsh enough IMHO.

Yes it does give you the very right to look down at your nose at a person who does not have the common decency to keep their own judgement of a certain person, who may not even exist! in private. I do not see any reason whatsoever to promote such foul language in a public place to promote ones opinion. That is downright disrespectful and condescending to anyone who has to view the shirt.

May I ask, what have you seen in public on a shirt that is more offensive than the C word with a highly sexualised image of a Catholic nun? You seriously have me scratching my head over that one I have to say.

Simple then isn't it? Ignore them, if you have no time for them, ignore them.. I do it al the time.. I see no point in making a big deal over it.. It is none of my business what strangers in the street like to wear..

Do you pay taxes? Because if you do, then it is your business. If my kids cannot ignore something like this because it is in their faces, then I am not going to, I see that as a basic parental responsibility. It is not OK to go out of your way to upset other people for fun. Here in Australia, one can be arrested for swearing in the street.

Big fines for those who cry foul

And under laws set to be introduced to State Parliament this week, Victoria Police will get permanent powers to slap potty-mouthed perpetrators with on-the-spot fines of up to $240 for using language deemed to be indecent, disorderly, offensive or threatening.

I cannot ignore them at the local shopping centre, so I wont, I will act in turn. The way I see it, wearing something as blatantly offensive as that is taking the first swing. If someone wants to wear such filth in public, I will report them to the police and attempt to have them removed from family environments. That is what was happening, the article states than people were wearing them down the street. To me, it is no better than the slogans wicked vans were using like: women should shut their mouths and open their legs. Would you be OK with that on a hoodie at the local shopping centre?

I think it could be argued that its the same thing.

You might not think its smart to be forgiving but that doesnt mean I agree.

And you may consider it smart to be benevolent, but that is merely opinion. In reality and by definition, they are two different things. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, nobody is entitled to their own facts.

Now that's the ticket. Not necessary at all.