Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S. planned to blow up the MOON

sean6

Numerous other news wires have the story ,not just tabloids.

Google it .

Ahem.

. http://www.wopular.c...ights-over-ussr

its probably not the last time either. Guarantee they are not alone.

the blacks were not the first slaves on this planet, why do some people think that??? Please remember that many of those black slaves were sold to the spanish by their own families then taken to America.

also there was a time when the celts and pagans got slaughtered because of a religion, the Americans had nothing to do with that.

I am not actually sticking up for the Americans, i am just saying that throughout history the Americans were not the worse.

I never said they weren't other slaves. The ancient Romans had slaves . That was actually due to the caste system . You were born into it .

This was ships,full of white Americans ,sailing to Africa ,and CATCHING HUMANS,as if they were animals ,loading dozens of them on a,boat,and shipping them to the new world .

Forcing them to accept their god .Giving up their language ,freedom and religion ,which is,what they did to the Indians .

We slaughtered the Indians for refusing to accept Christianity in some cases.

The crusades ,luckily ,are on the Europeans ....

I never said they weren't other slaves. The ancient Romans had slaves . That was actually due to the caste system . You were born into it .

This was ships,full of white Americans ,sailing to Africa ,and CATCHING HUMANS,as if they were animals ,loading dozens of them on a,boat,and shipping them to the new world .

Forcing them to accept their god .Giving up their language ,freedom and religion ,which is,what they did to the Indians .

We slaughtered the Indians for refusing to accept Christianity in some cases.

The crusades ,luckily ,are on the Europeans ....

"Some African states played a role in the slave trade. They would sell their captives or prisoners of war to European buyers" the Americans were not the first to have the slaves from Africa, remember slavery in Africa among themselves came well before that.

There is no condoning any of it, but its a global thing, not just an American thing, personally I think they are all bad and would not single out just one continent.

As for the religious aspect of it, well that is what has caused the most wars and its still going on today.

As an none follower of any cult, i despise those who killed others in the name of religion.....and still do today!

• Like 2

When there's a write up from somewhere other than the Daily Mail, I'll give the story more thought. Until then....not so much.

Ditto.

Daily Mail has no credence here. It's like believing in Batboy.

• Like 1

I

Ditto.

Daily Mail has no credence here. It's like believing in Batboy.

oH

A bunch of other newswires has it .Wait for a foreign agency to get ahold of it,because no American news source will touch it is my guess.

I would say it was possible . It was the 50s,and we are also in a space race with Russia ,for the moon . Who knows .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

IoH

A bunch of other newswires has it .Wait for a foreign agency to get ahold of it,because no American news source will touch it is my guess.

I would say it was possible . It was the 50s,and we are also in a space race with Russia ,for the moon . Who knows .

I'm not saying it wasn't possible. They thought up a lot of crazy crap in the 50's, but I've lived in England and the Daily Mail is like the Weekly World News was but just about 1/4 less outrageous. lol

• Like 1

CHINESE TO BLOW UP THE MOON

China has embarked on a bold plan to control the world’s weather patterns – and it begins with blowi...

http://weeklyworldnews.com/aliens/23976/chinese-to-blow-up-the-moon/

Russians to blow up the moon.....

I read a troublesome story in the publication Weekly World News a year or two ago about a bizarre plot by the Russians to blow up the moon.

The article said the plan, approved by the Russian government, was designed to cause the Earth to tilt differently and consequently improve the Russian growing season. The bad side of the plan, the story said, was that the change would impact weather in the United States.

Demolishing the moon, the story said, “will be a simple matter of placing about 600 multi-megaton nuclear warheads on Soyuz-type rockets and launching at the target.”

http://perdurabo10.tripod.com/id946.html

Still believe?

• Like 3

snapback.pngSimbi Laveau, on 25 November 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

I always so embarrassed to be American . I love my country ,as its my birth place ,but so many things are so ....disgusting...

The average Joe p***es and moans about all the foreigners hating us ,are just jealous,etc,have no clue.No clue at all.

simbi i just wanted you to know that i understood where you're coming from. i've heard many americans express the same thing, athough it is often met with the same misunderstanding.

i absolutely cannot stand the american government, or their pompous belief that they are the greatest. greatest what? that's open to debate.

and in the fifty two years i've been alive i cannot remember a time when i didn't feel that way.

however, i have travelled to every state in your beautiful country (except hawaii and alaska) and i've met some incredibly wonderful people. people who shouldn't have to be invited to move out if they don't like it.

i'm sorry that some would propose that you do that. if more americans voiced their disgust as you have perhaps it could make a difference somehow, rather than being met with such a response.

Edited by JGirl
  • Like 3

But wait....After further review......

In 1949, the Armour Research Foundation (ARF), based at the Illinois Institute of Technology, began studying the effects of nuclear explosions on the environment. These studies would continue until 1962.[2] In May 1958, ARF began covertly researching the potential consequences of an atomic explosion on the Moon. The main objective of the program, which ran under the auspices of the United States Air Force, which had initially proposed it, was to cause a nuclear explosion that would be visible from Earth. It was hoped that such a display would boost the morale of the American people.[3]

At the time of the project's conception, newspapers were reporting a rumor that the Soviet Union was planning to detonate a hydrogen bomb on the Moon. According to press reports in late 1957, an anonymous source had divulged to a United States Secret Service agent that the Soviets planned to commemorate the anniversary of the October Revolution by causing a nuclear explosion on the Moon to coincide with a lunar eclipse on November 7. News reports of the rumored launch included mention of targeting the dark side of the terminator—Project A119 would also consider this boundary as the target for an explosion. It was also reported that a failure to hit the Moon would likely result in the missile returning to Earth.[4]

A similar idea was put forward by Edward Teller, the "father of the H-bomb", who, in February 1957, proposed the detonation of atomic devices both on and some distance from the lunar surface to analyze the effects of the explosion.[5]

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Project_A119

The first idea of exploding a bomb on the lunar surface seems to be in Robert Goddard's "A Method for reaching extreme altitudes". Goddard investigated the possibility of reaching the Moon with a rocket loaded with photographer magnesium powder, in order to record the explosion made by the impact. Instead of carrying out a simple theoretical study, in October 1916 Goddard made an experiment to establish the minimum powder mass to be carried by the rocket. By observing at night from his Worcester home the magnesium flash made in an air evacuated glass ampule located some 3,600 meters away, he determined that the flash made by 0.0029 grams of magnesium was barely visible and the one made by 0.015 grams was plainly so.

From these data he calculated that, using a 30 cm diameter telescope to observe the impact, the rocket was to carry 1.2 kg of magnesium for the flash to be barely visible and 6.27 kg to be plainly so. To carry this mass to the moon, Goddard estimated that it was necessary to use a rocket of some fifteen tons launch mass, able to accelerate the payload to escape speed. Goddard himself noted that "the plan of sending a mass of flash powder to the surface of the moon, although a matter of much general interest, is not of obvious scientific importance". This was however the first idea of an interplanetary mission to do without of the presence of humans: the first "space probe".

Later, in the Forties, the German born popular science writer Willy Ley further perfected the Goddard idea. He noted in fact that if the terrestrial observers able to observe the lunar impact of the magnesium laden probe were incapacitated by bad weather, the impact may happen without any witness. To counter this problem Ley proposed the impact on the Moon of 0.5 kg of high explosive and 4.5 kg of white powder, possibly powdered glass that, once dispersed on the surface, would have formed a patch of surface more brilliant than the surroundings.

In 1945 US astronomer H. H. Nininger suggested the use of two new technologies developed during the most recent war, guided missiles and atomic weapons, to dislodge lunar soil samples and to carry them toward the Earth, thus providing an artificial imitation of what astronomers believed had happened during the formation of the larger craters or during the eruption of the lunar volcanoes, creating a class of natural glasses called tektites.

In 1957 Kraft Ehricke, an Atlas missile designer and Nobel prize George Gamow proposed a small probe called Cow (after a nursery rhyme) that was to fly by the Moon before returning to Earth one week after launch. A follow-on version was to be preceded by an atomic bomb that was to raise a cloud of vaporized rock. The second probe was then to fly through the cloud, thus returning lunar surface samples to Earth.

In October of the same year, JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratory) presented its idea of a lunar program that would overshadow Sputnik. The program was called Red Socks and it could include the detonation of an atom bomb on our natural satellite's surface, in order to collect, as Nininger had proposed, any lunar rock that would be hurled to our planet by the explosion and to produce, in the words of JPL's director Pickering to produce "beneficial psychological results".

As the first race to the Moon unfolded, both the USA and the USSR had plans to nuke the Moon.

In parallel with the Able probes' development, the US Air Force started a top secret project, called A119, described euphemistically as a "study of lunar research flights" and only revealed 42 years after its conception.

It was probably based on a still secret RAND Corporation study, started in 1956, aimed at putting a nuclear warhead on the Moon. The same idea was shared by Edward Teller, the father of the hydrogen bomb who in February 1957 proposed exploding an atomic bomb at some distance from the lunar surface to observe the fluorescence induced in it or even directly on the surface to observe what kind of disturbance it might cause. Moreover, after being mentioned in Project ``Red Socks'', the idea of the emphatically called ISBM (InterSpatial Ballistic Missile) was analyzed in some detail by engineers of Lockheed Space and Missiles Division who determined that a 11 kTon bomb carried by an Agena rocket would have had enough time to explode before being crushed in the impact with the Moon.

However, such a project would probably have been forgotten had the Soviet Union not declared an unilateral nuclear test ban on March 31, 1958. This ban was interrputed on September 30, announced by the United States on October 31 and finally accepted by the Soviet Union in December. The ban was supposed to lead to a total test ban but, for lack of an agreement, the Soviet Union resumed testing on September 1, 1960, followed by the United States four days later. Despite this, for almost two years the two superpowers did not explode a single nuclear weapon. In this climate of incertitude, it is not surprizing that the US military considered moving their own tests in space, giving them an aura of scientific respectabily. Project A119 was thus started by the US Air Force Special (i.e. nuclear) Weapons Center, its main aim being of sending to the Moon without any warning a fission atomic bomb to impress the Soviets and their allies.

Very few details of the project have been revealed, and the few ones mostly concern the scientific side. To the project in fact participated from the spring of 1958 a small group of scientists of the Armour Research Fondation of the Illinois Institute of Technology, providing scientifical consultancy on the mission. This group included many well known scientists such as Leonard Reiffel, project chief scientist and later to be the manned Apollo lunar missions scientific instrumentation manager, Gerard P. Kuiper, a Dutch born planetlogist and his doctorate student Carl Sagan, the future famous planetary astronomer, scientist popularizer and author of the science fiction novel Contact. Counting on the accuracy of the launcher, far too optimistically estimated as "a couple of miles" at the Moon's distance, it was decided to explode the bomb on the night side close to the terminator, in order to maximize visiblity. Whatever the yield of the bomb and contrary to Kuiper's calculations, the crater created by the explosion would not have been visible: a 1 kiloton bomb would have digged a 50 meters diameter crater and a 1 megaton a less than 400 meters diameter one. ..............

http://www.theliving...e_the_Moon.html

You choose what story to go by........

Sounds like some whack attempt to collect dust samples......

Yes, as utterly deranged as it may sound today, the United States Air Force actually had a top secret plan called Project A 119 in the 1950s. This Cold War scheme entailed detonating a nuclear weapon on the lunar surface in order to see how the mushroom cloud would expand and contract in a low gravity setting.

Even more interesting, a young Carl Sagan was part of the project — the very man who would go onto champion nuclear disarmament and the dangers of nuclear winter. According to Space.com, he even later tried to use his research from the project to acquire an academic fellowship, possibly breaching national security in the process.

As far as benefits to science go, Sagan figured that the resulting dust clouds from the blast would yield a great deal of interesting soil data — including the possibility of organic material. According to Scientific American, some scientists even recommended sending two rockets: the first to nuke the moon’s surface and the second to fly through the giant dust cloud to collect samples. Obviously, this would have likely even changed the way the moon and its “face” appeared from Earth.

Fortunately, we never put Project A 119 into action, but the line of thinking follows an interesting scientific trend — one that I’ve discussed with fellow science blogger Allison Loudermilk on a number of occasions. What is it about our desire to throw a nuke at something in the name of science?

http://blogs.howstuf...uclear-weapons/

A true story, twisted in so many ways......

Edited by Sakari

They wanted to intimidate the Russians by putting on a high tech light show? The nuke would have had to be small but that whole bit about missing and having it come back around in it's orbit at some point was a deal breaker - that's a good thing... :clap:

I remember a guy back in the Nixon era that wanted to rid the world of pollution...by creating huge rockets in the Sahara Desert that would blow the Earth out of its orbit...leaving all the pollution behind.

Regardless...an atomic explosion on the moon would not effect anything in any way.....ever seen the Moon through a telescope...seen all of those immense craters? yeah

I remember a guy back in the Nixon era that wanted to rid the world of pollution...by creating huge rockets in the Sahara Desert that would blow the Earth out of its orbit...leaving all the pollution behind.

Regardless...an atomic explosion on the moon would not effect anything in any way.....ever seen the Moon through a telescope...seen all of those immense craters? yeah

Exactly, even our most powerful nukes would do little to the moon other than create more craters and "maybe" push it just a little farther away in orbit.

Edited by pallidin

snapback.pngSimbi Laveau, on 25 November 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

I always so embarrassed to be American . I love my country ,as its my birth place ,but so many things are so ....disgusting...

The average Joe p***es and moans about all the foreigners hating us ,are just jealous,etc,have no clue.No clue at all.

simbi i just wanted you to know that i understood where you're coming from. i've heard many americans express the same thing, athough it is often met with the same misunderstanding.

i absolutely cannot stand the american government, or their pompous belief that they are the greatest. greatest what? that's open to debate.

and in the fifty two years i've been alive i cannot remember a time when i didn't feel that way.

however, i have travelled to every state in your beautiful country (except hawaii and alaska) and i've met some incredibly wonderful people. people who shouldn't have to be invited to move out if they don't like it.

i'm sorry that some would propose that you do that. if more americans voiced their disgust as you have perhaps it could make a difference somehow, rather than being met with such a response.

JGirl,

I said being American is the freedom to leave anytime you like...

I have no issues with someone voicing opinions on our Government, I do, I think it is corrupt.I think we need a revolution myself. But, because our Government is a joke, it does not make me " embarassed to be American.".......I do not care where you are born, you should all ways be proud of your Nationality. Maybe not your Nation.

I only stated what I did for the " I am embarassed to be an American " comment.........To me, that is over the top. Just my opinion...... I am proud to be American.

Exactly, even our most powerful nukes would do little to the moon other than create more craters and "maybe" push it just a little farther away in orbit.

Just push it a little farther away in orbit? Is THAT all? Why, that wouldn't effect anything here on earth, right?

Again, eighth grade education....

And as for this silly idea that American society has been the most ruthless or immoral through history... again, EIGHTH grade education.

Numerous other news wires have the story ,not just tabloids.

Google it .

Ahem.

. http://www.wopular.c...ights-over-ussr

Really? Did you overlook the fact that this "Wopular" site points right back to the Daily Mail's article???? That's a site that collects news clips, not real news stories.

I Googled it as you suggested and it's all the same article recycled around the web. If this is what news reporting has come to, then I say we get rid of journalism all together.

JGirl,

I said being American is the freedom to leave anytime you like...

I only stated what I did for the " I am embarassed to be an American " comment.........To me, that is over the top. Just my opinion...... I am proud to be American.

no disrespect sakari, but i did not read it that way and i doubt simbi did either

i think what she was expressing was that she was embarrassed by her country's actions, not that she is embarrassed to be american. at least that is how i understood it.

someone who loves their country can still be embarrassed by its actions.

• Like 2

Hey guys, did anyone besides Sakari read the article, the part where it said this was Carl Sagan's plan to blow up the moon?

and the winner of the "biggest threat to the safety of the world" award goes, once again, to the US of A!!!

Wrongo, Israel wins this hands down everytime.

Until they are disarmed the rest of us are not safe!

Hey guys, did anyone besides Sakari read the article, the part where it said this was Carl Sagan's plan to blow up the moon?

Wrongo, Israel wins this hands down everytime.

Until they are disarmed the rest of us are not safe!

funny, i feel much much more threatened by the actions of the usa.

funny, i feel much much more threatened by the actions of the usa.

Please, we have had power and your part of the world is still fine. Now our power is declining, the USA won't be tops forever, and that is fine. If we were a threat to you, then it is diminishing, and I disagree with our foreign policy when it came to destroying democracies and installing dicators in Latin America + the other horrible things we have done and are still doing but please you are in Canada

and we are not going to use nukes like Israel is. We have had nukes for a long time but these guys are just not responsible enough to have them as us and Russia were in the Cold War.

The whole of the Middle East needs to be a nuclear weapon-free zone until they can get their act together collectively.

Edited by I believe you

Please, we have had power and your part of the world is still fine. Now our power is declining, the USA won't be tops forever, and that is fine. If we were a threat to you, then it is diminishing, and I disagree with our foreign policy when it came to destroying democracies and installing dicators in Latin America + the other horrible things we have done and are still doing but please you are in Canada

and we are not going to use nukes like Israel is. We have had nukes for a long time but these guys are just not responsible enough to have them as us and Russia were in the Cold War.

The whole of the Middle East needs to be a nuclear weapon-free zone until they can get their act together collectively.

i do not feel the usa will attack canada - i feel threatened by their actions with regard to the world in general.

arrogance of the magnitude that the government of the usa has is dangerous to everyone.

• Like 1

How far back you wanna go ?

Let's start with the native Americans ....where are they all ?

Oh yeah,we slaughtered bunches of them . Lest we not forget wounded knee and AIM.

The slave trade .Hunting humans ,in Africa ...Roots ,the story ,is fact based .

The war with Mexico to STEAL Tejas ...Texas .

The decimation of the American buffalo .

The Japanese internment camps during WW2,of american Japanese ,and then sending our enlisted American Japanese to Europe to fight the most dangerous battles,but if they died,eh..who cares .Then,bombing Hiroshima and Kyoto ,which was all civilians and women and children .

Allowing Chinese immigrants to build our railroads,for pennies a day .Die doing it,and once it was built ,making it ILLEGAL for them to have a job or give a Chinese a job,as they were heathens as per the govt.

Duping the Sioux Indians off their land,and shoving them into reservations ,so we could steal the gold that was theirs in the black hills

Which is very similar to what we do in the middle east for oil today .

Any other indians we forced on to reservations ,to take their land..

And these are just a small outline of America's history.

The entire nations history ,is built on the blood of other people .

No,there is no other government quite like ours.

It ,of course,does not reflect the people as a whole ,but no one cares .

Wasn't it British government ruling during the slaughter of the Native Americans though?

Japanese government of WW2 and German government of WW2 (Hitler) where certainly bad as well. British Government has done some nasty things. Israeli government as well. (doing nasty things right now) All the governments do nasty horrible things.

Whew I am so glad this didn't happen. That would have serouisly screwed up the lunar obit. The amount of rocks and dust that would have hit the earth would have destoryed everyone.

Whew I am so glad this didn't happen. That would have serouisly screwed up the lunar obit. The amount of rocks and dust that would have hit the earth would have destoryed everyone.

That is probably why it never was really an actual plan.

Just like the Star Wars SDI was never really a plan either. Just stuff we wanted the soviets to think we could do.

no disrespect sakari, but i did not read it that way and i doubt simbi did either

i think what she was expressing was that she was embarrassed by her country's actions, not that she is embarrassed to be american. at least that is how i understood it.

someone who loves their country can still be embarrassed by its actions.

Maybe I did not interpet " I am embarrassed to be a American " wrong....

I think it is cleared up either way.