Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Applicants wanted for one-way ticket to Mars.

mars settlers

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#91    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,637 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

They will be doing all sorts of tests in the underground cities, it will be one massive lab. Would be interesting to see what kind of race of people they will develop over time, but we will not be around to see that, and i think that could be a good thing.
Dr Frankenstein, eat your heart out!!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#92    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

It will take a few trips to set up a viable working Colony,possibly a decade or so.It is sheer madness to think that one trip will be enough,you need proven technology not experimental.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#93    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,997 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 21 April 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

It will take a few trips to set up a viable working Colony,possibly a decade or so.It is sheer madness to think that one trip will be enough,you need proven technology not experimental.

Yes i think the whole idea is totally nuts, but here again is the video of how it should work, with advance landers and rovers building the habitat.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#94    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,637 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

Good to know tax payers are not funding it, but the private companies who are have to get the money from somewhere, so somewhere along the line we will be paying for it in what they are charging us now.
If i were around to see it actually work then I might feel it justifiable, but by the time they have it sussed, if they ever do, what ever these private companies are selling to us, the costs would have rocketed. WE WILL be paying for it somehow, and somehow I do not think it is worth it, humans living on Earth together is more important.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#95    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,748 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Seeing that story about James May off of Top Gear visiting NASA, of coruse, that's the answer isn't it! Send the whole Top Gear crowd! They'd love it, and it'd get Clarko out of our way for ever! :clap:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#96    Calle

Calle

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

• Everyone but few seeks Perfection, the few that does not seek it knows that perfection is impossible, because perfection is unachievable

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:59 AM

View Postseeder, on 21 April 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

"Sex is very difficult in zero gravity, apparently, because you have no traction and you keep bumping against the walls," biologist Athena Andreadis of the University of Massachusetts Medical School told SPACE.com in 2011. "Think about it: you have no friction, you have no resistance"
Be fun to watch the others try it,  if nothing else!!  :w00t: :w00t:

plus, they wont exactly have midwifes and doctors to help a birth along will they?  Or tend to any complications that may arrise. Or have the 'right' drugs for all eventualities? Now will they?
what if she needs a cesarean?? Loses blood? Goes into coma? Who you gonna call?

Well about Sex, i would say A Magnet Shoes <- Stand Still and they wont send doctors or engineers if something fails, they will train the chosen ones in Medical - Mechanical Engineering - Computer Science - Communication - and other stuff i dont know the name of

#97    Winchester_8

Winchester_8

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

• I want to believe.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

Mars One will announce the start of its astronaut selection program at a press conference in New York on April 22nd at noon (EDT). The event will be moderated by Emily Lakdawalla, Senior Editor at the Planetary Society. The panel will include

- Bas Lansdorp, Co-Founder and CEO, Mars One
- Gerard 't Hooft, Nobel laureate and Ambassador of Mars One
- Norbert Kraft, Chief Medical Officer, Mars One
- Grant Anderson, Sr. VP Operations, Chief Engineer and Co-Founder, Paragon Space Development Corporation
- Bryan Versteeg, Mission Concept Artist, Mars One

Watch it live here, it starts within 1 hour and 40 minutes :)

#98    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,748 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

Just out of curiosity, do any of these people have any experience in Space exploration? Perhaps people might feel more confident coming forward if they know that there are some people who know something about astrophysics and Space travel on the board.

Although I can't help thinking, in view of the selection process which seems to involve America's or Britain's Got Talent style auditions, of the Golgafrincham Ark Fleet Ship B. I wonder if it might all be a plot to get some of the more flamboyant an extrovert off the planet and well away from everyone else. :innocent:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#99    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,234 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

https://www.youtube....d&v=WJNGH4NZJ4U Live!

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#100    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,234 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

https://www.youtube....d&v=WJNGH4NZJ4U Mars one press conference!

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#101    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,349 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 21 April 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

Well, they have canals, we know ...
And if Mr. Hoagland is right*, there's great underground cities & all sorts of things. Sounds as if it'd be fun.

* :unsure2:
   But Mars also has Monsters because they are in the Movie "John Carpenter" ,and they also have Ghosts, ref that Movie "the Ghosts of Mars"...and the atmosphere is breathable so whats the problem.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#102    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,997 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 22 April 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

But Mars also has Monsters because they are in the Movie "John Carpenter" ,and they also have Ghosts, ref that Movie "the Ghosts of Mars"...and the atmosphere is breathable so whats the problem.

add a few more to your list, I reckon Ive seen about all of them!!

Best Mars Movies

http://www.ranker.co...re-movies-lists

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#103    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,349 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

View Postseeder, on 22 April 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

add a few more to your list, I reckon Ive seen about all of them!!

Best Mars Movies

http://www.ranker.co...re-movies-lists
  We also have Mars Bars, hee hee.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#104    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,997 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 22 April 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

We also have Mars Bars, hee hee.

But the good news is... Mars BRAS wont be needed, much less gravity means 'things' dont get saggy! And stay perky !!  :w00t:

#105    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,903 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

View Postshaddow134, on 21 April 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

Right now with our tech it is a two year round trip.  When they do go they will need to come up with names for fifteen more months.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

Also tagged with mars, settlers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users