Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Pharisees - bringers of legalism or love?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16    SCFan

SCFan

ISA 62:2; 65:15; HOS 1:10; 2:23; MATT 21:43; ACTS 11:26

• 2,621 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 03 April 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

... and so fall into his own trap, as surely that was working as well. "Ha! Got you" ~ Jesus.

Jesus preached this,

moral laws > ceremonial laws and traditions

When the two conflict in every day life, the moral law always prevails!

EDIT: the Pharisaic cult were inversed: ceremonial laws and traditions > moral laws

When the two conflict in every day life, the tradition always prevails!

Edited by B Jenkins, 04 April 2013 - 12:35 AM.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#17    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,910 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

PA

Thanks for the kind words.

If something scripted becomes an end in itself, then that can lead to absurdity.

You know that perennial thread topic, "If you could ask Jesus one question..." Well, there they are, the Pharisees who are living in the situation, and their one question to Jesus is "Did you wash your hands?"

I think your point about about some Christians getting caught up in the ritual performance, rather than attending to the meaning is apt. I recall listening to a Roman Catholic priest talking about all the particulars of the Eucharist. He was clearly into details: the wine has to be grape wine, and the bread must be made from wheat, he made a joke about "no rice cakes or sake," and then went on to say that in the Latin rite the bread must be unleavened, although the Eastern rite, which uses leavened bread, is valid anyway, because they, too, use the exact words of the institution narrative, but ...

I have to pause for a moment. This is a man who fully believes that he is discussing literally bringing himself face-to-face, bodily, with the living Christ, and this is what he's thinking about. I think he must be spiritually tone deaf not to realize how much he has in common with those Pharisees who had no better question for Christ when they were bodily face-to-face with him.

But if a ritual points to something beyond itself, then performing the ritual can lead the person to "look through" or "look past" the ritual to see whatever it is that the ritual is pointing to. At least hypothetically, I imagine thinking about why or whether there should be a fence around the Torah could be a valuable experience for some people. I know that for many people, including priests, the Roman Catholic Eucharist can be an intense spiritual experience.

Maybe it is inevitable for some people to go through a period of fixation on the prosaic performance of a ritual before they break through. Or, maybe they just get so fed up with the ritual fussiness that they just chuck it, and the breakthrough consists of  a new perspective on the purpose or meaning of the ritual which is then left behind. Paul and Gautama might be examples.

Before the enlightenment arrives, though, the spiritual giant-to-be might be insufferable :) .

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users