Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

West Virginia Mysterious Appearance

Kyle Richard M.

Firstly, this is my first topic here on UM. I have had this account for three years and only used it for about the first year before abandoning it,and I never really created a topic because I never had anything very interesting happen to me or anything interesting to talk about. But luckily I never deleted this account, and sure enough three years after its creation I have an actual use for it! Now, before I begin my topic, I would like to say that you shouldn't take my words for 100% fact. My recent experience is just that, a first hand experience. I am probably just completely crazy and/or have amnesia. But for me, this experience feels completely real, and that is enough for me. So take these words as you must, and let me begin to recite my tale.

Okay, so this all starts at the end of last week. In US history class, we were discussing the Civil War and my teacher brought up about how Virginia seceded from the Union and then the northwestern section of the state seceded again back into the Union as West Virginia. Now, this piqued my curiosity a little bit as I never remembered hearing about this happening. So I just kept this to myself, and just figured that after the Civil War West Virginia was reconnected back into Virginia. So fast forward to today, and during class we were given a US map to study from for an upcoming test on Friday. We were also given a second map to keep blank while labeling the first so we could have a map to study from with the states labeled, and another blank map to test our knowledge of the states from. So, of course on these maps, I saw it there again. West Virginia. This really made me me feel weird, because I thought West Virginia was only a Civil War thing. So I just kept this to myself because I didn't want to make myself look weird and/or stupid for not even knowing a whole state exists. When I got home later that day, I made sure to look up the state, and sure enough I saw it still exists today. I then preceded to ask around about West Virginia and the first person I asked was my brother and he said he had knew it existed and about the history of it during the Civil War. Now, this was confirmation to me that something weird had definitely happened, as my brother is not interested in history at all, yet he knew about West Virginia and it's history. So this put a dent in my theory I had been forming about how the state's history must of been glossed over in my younger years or something to that effect. If his class had talked about it, so must have mine. So that leaves me here, pondering over the mysterious appearance and sudden existence of the state of West Virginia.

Okay, now to my theories. Firstly, I would like to say that I am a complete skeptic of anything 'paranormal' related. (not sure if this would count in this category though) So in my opinion, the most likely explanations for this situation range in the mundane. But for the sake of presenting all explanations, I will also provide counter arguments for my own explanations. So, to begin, I am notorious for bad memory, and I don't know the states that well, so that could be a completely valid explanation for this. But as well, if given state's names and abbreviations and asked if they are real states, I can usually recognize that they are actual state names and abbreviations. And I also am familiar with all the state's shapes. Those three do not hold true for the state of West Virginia. The name, abbreviation, and shape all seem completely foreign to me. Another explanation is that I could have gotten some head injury somehow and gained amnesia. But I don't remember getting an injury at all recently. So this now just leaves the fantastical explanation, that my 'soul' could have somehow 'hopped' into another universe where history is slightly different. Of course I don't buy that answer, but it's very interesting to ponder about. An argument against this though is that if WV didn't exist, than that would leave only 49 states. Now, I have always remembered there being 50 states so that would mean a new state would have to exist in WV's place (not literal place, just metaphorical place), but I can't place a name at all on a state that I think should be there.

So that finishes up my 'little' tale. I have heard of others having similar experiences, though they only ranged to thinking and remembering a person having died when they were actually alive and vice versa. I have not heard of anything as big as thinking a new state appeared in another's place overnight like this. If anyone can give me a name for this phenomena that I may have experienced, then please do, because this is a really interesting thing to go through, even if it's entirely in your head. But it also gives you the feeling of uncertainty, thinking that this could happen again, with it being an even bigger change next time. So if anyone out there may have had a similar experience to mine, then please share with me so that I don't go crazy thinking that I alone in this. So sorry for the long read, but I like to write in a lot of detail. At least this was one heck of a story to start off with on this forum with! Cheers.

Edited by Kyle Richard M.

Unfortunately, you are not alone.

"western Virginia?"

"No, West Virginia!"

And also, unfortunately, nothing paranormal is involved.

• Like 1

Or you learned something.

• Like 3

i am from west virginia, born in boon country.. raised in marmet, a very small town.

Lots of pple assume WV is just the western part of Va.

Sadly I need to correct them.

You know, a few yrs back at my job we had this high school part time worker, she came to me freaking out because she could not locate a school using the zip and state.. i showed her on the computer how to do a search, she said she knew how, but nothing came up, so i told her to go to the search and type in zip.. then the state abrev. she put in NO.. i am like... huh? NO? you mean NC or ND or.. and she said no, it is definately NO.. i then asked her WHAT state? She said 'no orleans'..

I had to tell her to type in La... and after the call she said 'why did los angeles work, and i had to NOT laugh and tell her thatr New Orleans is a City in louisiana and Los Angeles is in california.

she was like 'oooooooooooooooooooooh'

SO you are not alone in what my granddaddy would call 'having the brain farts'

(seriously, that is what he called stuff like this)

• Like 2

Dude. What? You didn't know something, then you learned it and were confused because you didn't know it before you learned it?

In your defence, have you ever just tried to write down all 50 states from memory? It's not as easy as it sounds. But nothing weird happened.

• Like 3

I'm glad somebody finally got to the bottom of that whole "West" Virginia thing.

Now, if we could only figure out this "New" Mexico conspiracy.

i am from west virginia, born in boon country.. raised in marmet, a very small town.

Lots of pple assume WV is just the western part of Va.

Sadly I need to correct them.

You know, a few yrs back at my job we had this high school part time worker, she came to me freaking out because she could not locate a school using the zip and state.. i showed her on the computer how to do a search, she said she knew how, but nothing came up, so i told her to go to the search and type in zip.. then the state abrev. she put in NO.. i am like... huh? NO? you mean NC or ND or.. and she said no, it is definately NO.. i then asked her WHAT state? She said 'no orleans'..

I had to tell her to type in La... and after the call she said 'why did los angeles work, and i had to NOT laugh and tell her thatr New Orleans is a City in louisiana and Los Angeles is in california.

she was like 'oooooooooooooooooooooh'

SO you are not alone in what my granddaddy would call 'having the brain farts'

(seriously, that is what he called stuff like this)

I've heard stories from people who live in New Mexico having difficulty getting things shipped to them because they're told "we don't ship internationally".