Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Siberian permafrost thaw warning

permafrost thaw siberia caves

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,740 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Evidence from Siberian caves suggests that a global temperature rise of 1.5C could see permafrost thaw over a large area of Siberia.

A study shows that more than a trillion tonnes of the greenhouse gases CO2 and methane could be released into the atmosphere as a result.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21549643

Posted Image

#2    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

They knew too much about flying saucers!

• 27,158 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Oh not another Warning. Can these endless parades of Experts suggest anything practical or helpful? Then what's the point of endless Warnings and Fears.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#3    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,952 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Well, I guess they can say, "We warned you."

#4    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwít éoredmæcg

• 5,170 posts

• Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre, mod sceal þe mare, þe ure mægen lytlað.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

I don't think it's thawing at all - It just seems to be relocating to my paddock! (It's snowing again!)

PS - Our Parish Council has just decided to twin the village with Novosibirsk!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#5    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

And so it will come to pass that Siberia will become the new Eden, a paradise on Earth. The weather will be warm and sunny, the black soil fertile and the army large, to keep the millions of climate refugees out :)

#6    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

If the global temperature is rising, then why has it be one of the coldest winters of my life this year.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,941 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Yes if the temperatures do rise 1.5C it could thaw the permafrost and release greenhouse gases and methane but they aren't saying it is happening, just if.

#8    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

I foresee another greenbelt ripe for farming and Agriculture if this happens. We could likely double the worlds population in such a scenario. :tu:

#9    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 22 February 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

Oh not another Warning. Can these endless parades of Experts suggest anything practical or helpful? Then what's the point of endless Warnings and Fears.

New Zealand's leading google scientist solves Global Warming problem.

"Just leave the fridge doors open! problem solved... That'll be one Nobel prise please...  :tu:

:lol:

Edited by Professor T, 22 February 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#10    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• 6,650 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Could someone explain to me how a 'global' temperature (average for the entire World) drop would affect one particular area? What if the global temperature drops, yet Siberia stays just as cold? How would the permafrost then melt?

Why not just say 'if the temperature in Siberia drops'.

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 23 February 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,952 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 22 February 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

And so it will come to pass that Siberia will become the new Eden, a paradise on Earth. The weather will be warm and sunny, the black soil fertile and the army large, to keep the millions of climate refugees out :)
That is not the fear; the fear is that the Earth become like Venus with its runaway greenhouse gases.

#12    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Maybe a stupid question but is their no way of collecting the methane?  If their is so much I am surprised nobody is drilling there and collecting.

Posted Image

#13    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 12,000 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

View Postskookum, on 23 February 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

Maybe a stupid question but is their no way of collecting the methane?  If their is so much I am surprised nobody is drilling there and collecting.
Not really.
Collecting from a massive defuse source would be impossibly expensive. The emissions are from thousands of square miles of thawing bog and continental shelf. Its not like tapping into a geological gas deposit which tends to accumulate at one point.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 23 February 2013 - 01:26 PM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#14    Twinkle Arora is back

Twinkle Arora is back

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 202 posts

• Mythical Awareness

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

View PostCoffey, on 22 February 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

If the global temperature is rising, then why has it be one of the coldest winters of my life this year.

Actually Earth if all about energy (heat) distribution and dissipation through winds or cyclones or other natural calamities.
Earth as a closed system (kind of closed) tries to maintain its equilibrium and what greenhouse gases are doing that it is disturbing it's cycles of maintaining equilibrium.
This causes a climate change as the earth is trying to balance it out somehow and which in turn causes extremes highs in some places and extreme lows in some places and even more natural calamities.
I may not know much about it but scientists are still learning about the earth cycles and there are many things to be learn't.
I seems that if we continue like this it would be too late.

#15    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

View PostTwinkle Arora is back, on 23 February 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

Actually Earth if all about energy (heat) distribution and dissipation through winds or cyclones or other natural calamities.
Earth as a closed system (kind of closed) tries to maintain its equilibrium and what greenhouse gases are doing that it is disturbing it's cycles of maintaining equilibrium.
This causes a climate change as the earth is trying to balance it out somehow and which in turn causes extremes highs in some places and extreme lows in some places and even more natural calamities.
I may not know much about it but scientists are still learning about the earth cycles and there are many things to be learn't.
I seems that if we continue like this it would be too late.

I thought it was a natural cycle though?

I read about the key scientists who are showing these results where funded by the big il companies. I found that strange as though there is some kind of ulterior motive.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

Also tagged with permafrost, thaw, siberia, caves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users