Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mars Snail, Bone Or Weathered Rock?

AggManUK

Hi All

Using the Microsoft WorldWide Telescope, i came upon something very odd indeed.

You can find the panoramic image in the program by going to...

WorldWide Telescope Mars / Panoramas /

Opportunity / Opportunity Mission Success.

If you don't have it installed then you can view the oddity on my youtube video.

[media=]

[/media]

I am stumped to explain it! If you have time, take a look and let me know what you think.

Cheers

AggManUK.

• Like 1

Do you know what the date of the photo in question is? I want to have at the original images if possible.

If I may offer you a genuine piece of advice, if you want to discuss a NASA photo on these forums, it's generally best to simply post the photograph along with a possible link to the source or reference number for others to look up the original. I appreciate that you have a YouTube channel (that you may wish to get people looking at) and want to zazz up your find, but it's really not necessary for people to watch 45 seconds of animations and music before getting to the point.

Anyway, interesting find. As I say, I'd like to look up the original and have a proper look at it.

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 5

Looks more like a bone than snail to me.

Do you know what the date of the photo in question is? I want to have at the original images if possible.

If I may offer you a genuine piece of advice, if you want to discuss a NASA photo on these forums, it's generally best to simply post the photograph along with a possible link to the source or reference number for others to look up the original. I appreciate that you have a YouTube channel (that you may wish to get people looking at) and want to zazz up your find, but it's really not necessary for people to watch 45 seconds of animations and music before getting to the point.

Anyway, interesting find. As I say, I'd like to look up the original and have a proper look at it.

Thanks for the response. Your right, i did go overboard with the video! I can't find a date for the image right now as my WorldWide Telescope program has stopped working. I will reinstall and let you know.

It's a rock for crying out loud! What makes it look weird is that the majority of the light colored rock is covered with same dark dust (carefully examine to the right side of the "snail" and you'll see what I mean) as the plain it rests upon.

• Like 2

I have managed to find the original image for you.

http://marswatch.astro.cornell.edu/pancam_instrument/images/Opportunity_Mission_Succcess.jpg

The date of the image storage on the site is 23-Apr-2005 Time 20:46.

• Like 1

It's a rock for crying out loud! What makes it look weird is that the majority of the light colored rock is covered with same dark dust (carefully examine to the right side of the "snail" and you'll see what I mean) as the plain it rests upon.

I know it not a snail. I even say in the video that it's not. However, I have never seen a rock with two sharp points like that. To the right of the object i see the shadow of one of the points.

Found it. It's a panorama taken just after the successful landing and deployment of Opportunity. There's full-size JPGs and TIFFs available here - http://marswatch.astro.cornell.edu/pancam_instrument/mspanb.html

It can also be seen but not very clearly on the following pics taken on Sol 2 of Opportunity's mission:

http://marsrover.nasa.gov/gallery/all/1/p/002/1P128372948EFF0200P2211L2M1.HTML

http://marsrover.nasa.gov/gallery/all/1/p/002/1P128372948EFF0200P2211R2M1.HTML

Here's a direct blow-up as it comes from NASA's panoramic photo:

y8k0.png

• Like 1

I have managed to find the original image for you.

http://marswatch.ast...on_Succcess.jpg

The date of the image storage on the site is 23-Apr-2005 Time 20:46.

Thanks, I found it via the WorldWide Telescope website which had a link to it.

Given that it's in the area where Opportunity landed, and given how it landed, I wonder if it might be something that fell of it. The lander basically inflated airbags and crash-landed into the planet and tumbled along until it came to a halt before deflating the airbags. You can see the ground marks from the airbags in the full panorama.

On the other hand, rocks do come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Thanks, I found it via the WorldWide Telescope website which had a link to it.

Given that it's in the area where Opportunity landed, and given how it landed, I wonder if it might be something that fell of it. The lander basically inflated airbags and crash-landed into the planet and tumbled along until it came to a halt before deflating the airbags. You can see the ground marks from the airbags in the full panorama.

On the other hand, rocks do come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Yeah. The more i look at it, the more i think it came off the lander. Maybe when the airbags deflated it fell softly, hence the lack of soil disturbance. Thanks for looking and helping out! All the best. :yes:

No, no! I know it's very misleading, but look just to the right of the "snail's" right "antenna". The rock is flat with dust on top of it.

Hopefully this will clarify what I'm seeing ...

l33c.jpg

I've highlighted the edges of the rock covered in dust in red, though your original is clearer.

Does this make better sense?

Also interesting are all the flat circles scored with symmetrical rays coming from smaller offset circles. Anybody want to guess?

• Like 1

have you guys and galls seen all other stuff that is all over the place in the image? But the "snail" one is freaking awesome.One of the best mars mysteries so far ...

Why there are traces in the soil representing a sun ? Aliens sending us a message ?

source

http://marswatch.astro.cornell.edu/pancam_instrument/images/Opportunity_Mission_Succcess.jpg

ScreenShot2013-11-09at82337PM_zps58fab859.png

Footstep?

ScreenShot2013-11-09at82400PM_zps6267917e.png

What is this?

ScreenShot2013-11-09at82524PM_zpsc850ec66.png

or this?

ScreenShot2013-11-09at82542PM_zps496183fa.png

Edited by qxcontinuum

Don't forget, if this is the actual landing site they you will have the exhaust gasses from the "crane" present. They could account for the strange "rays" QX noted.

Don't forget, if this is the actual landing site they you will have the exhaust gasses from the "crane" present. They could account for the strange "rays" QX noted.

Sigh...

This isn't Curiosity's landing site, it's Opportunity's landing site.

There was no sky crane for the Spirit and Opportunity landers. They used a cruder method more suitable for smaller lighter landers and rovers. They used a parachute to slow their descent and then inflated airbags to cushion their landing. They crashed into the surface of Mars and bounced along the surface until they came to a halt, then deflated the airbags before deploying the rovers.

The surface marks we're seeing are marks made by the airbags rolling the rover into its final resting place that it started its mission from.

• Like 5

Also interesting are all the flat circles scored with symmetrical rays coming from smaller offset circles. Anybody want to guess?

No guesses needed. The panorama photo is taken from Opportunity's landing site. The "flat circles with symmetrical rays" are marks left by the airbags that were used to cushion Opportunity's landing while it crash landed and bounced forward until it came to a rest before deploying the rover.

As I've already noted and which is explained by NASA on their website that the image is taken from.

• Like 2

have you guys and galls seen all other stuff that is all over the place in the image? But the "snail" one is freaking awesome.One of the best mars mysteries so far ...

Why there are traces in the soil representing a sun ? Aliens sending us a message ?

Or they are obviously marks left by the airbags that the landers deployed before they hit the surface and rolled to a halt before deflating and letting the rovers deploy.

As I already noted and which is explained in the NASA link I provided above in this thread.

How about people read the freaking thread and the links and explanations provided within before blurting out an ill-informed opinion?

• Like 1

or you chill out not taking anything too personally...

some of us like dreamin...

Edited by qxcontinuum

Whatever... Posting an explanation and pointing out that it has already been explained in a thread is not taking things personally, it's merely pointing out the typical laziness of forums users who launch into posts without reading the thread they' re replying to.

Did i say something that made no sense or is factually wrong? If so, tell me what's wrong and I'll either try to explain myself or admit my error. Otherwise, please let's not resort to this kind of petty nonsense.

• Like 2

Your expertise is always appreciated but full of drama ...

this

How about people read the freaking thread and the links and explanations provided within before blurting out an ill-informed opinion?

Edited by qxcontinuum

What is your point, if any?

I've repeatedly explained the silly "traces in the soil representing a sun" idea as being marks left by the lander's airbags.

Just what are you (or anyone else) arguing for or against at this point in the thread?

That the object in the OP is of extraterrestrial origin? That the "traces in the soil representing a sun" marks are of extraterrestrial origin? I can't even disagree with you as I don't know what you're saying. You seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing and I can't make out what, if any, argument you're trying to make.

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 1

Sigh...

This isn't Curiosity's landing site, it's Opportunity's landing site.

There was no sky crane for the Spirit and Opportunity landers. They used a cruder method more suitable for smaller lighter landers and rovers. They used a parachute to slow their descent and then inflated airbags to cushion their landing. They crashed into the surface of Mars and bounced along the surface until they came to a halt, then deflated the airbags before deploying the rovers.

The surface marks we're seeing are marks made by the airbags rolling the rover into its final resting place that it started its mission from.

Sorry, my bad.

It looks like all the mars missions failed to discover past or perhaps present life just because those looking for it don't even believe in it firstly ... Without faith is all a big waste of money.

And it seems you are examining the same images like everyone else but pulling some conclusions that must be necessarily accepted by everyone as entirely true and nothing else but the truth. Is your computer magical, do you know details we can't see?

Same as you're claiming to be signs from landing I am saying they are aliens. Big tall grey aliens. They draw a sun there to let us know this fact. You can't never prove me otherwise as I don't as well...

Edited by qxcontinuum

What is your point, if any?

I've repeatedly explained the silly "traces in the soil representing a sun" idea as being marks left by the lander's airbags.

Wait , what?

You are saying that those land traces representing a perfect circle and it's line coincidentally looking like a sun have been created when the airbag snapped revealing the lander? Where is the airbag then?

In fact you can clearly see the airbags if you scroll about 120 degrees to the right.

have Nasa identified the pieces from the rover including the one was posted by OP? if this is truly where is originating? Nobody worried about it?

Edited by qxcontinuum