Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep Effects on Astronauts

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA Research Reveals Biological Clock Misalignment Effects on Sleep for Astronauts

Since the beginning of the space program, astronauts have dealt with the realities of spaceflight from microgravity in weak muscles and space radiation, to sleep deprivation and disorientation. Both before and during astronauts’ flights, changes in biological clocks, or circadian rhythms, contribute to sleep deficiency and increase the use of sleep-promoting medications.

For most people, the circadian rhythm is a little longer than 24 hours. On Earth, our daily exposure to light from the sun keeps us synchronized to the 24-hour day. As they circle around Earth in orbit, astronauts experience a sunrise or sunset every 45 minutes. Understanding the effects of spaceflight on astronauts may help prepare NASA for planning longer crew stays in deep space and possible missions to Mars, where the day length is a little longer than 24 hours. Most importantly, investigating these effects can reveal new ways to reduce the general consequences of the exposure of spaceflight on the human body.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

As they circle around Earth in orbit, astronauts experience a sunrise or sunset every 45 minutes.

Well - that rules me out of ever becoming a girly astronaut...I'm as cranky as hell if I don't get my straight 8 hours of zzzz time.

images%2015_zpsyurpnpq0.jpg

• Like 1

Well - that rules me out of ever becoming a girly astronaut...I'm as cranky as hell if I don't get my straight 8 hours of zzzz time.

images%2015_zpsyurpnpq0.jpg

Your sleeping your life away woman!! ;)

• Like 1

The physical exertion in 0g will be minimal so surely the amount of rest needed will be vastly reduced too? They wont need a typical 8hrs if their bodys are under a fraction of the stress and endurance of earth

The physical exertion in 0g will be minimal so surely the amount of rest needed will be vastly reduced too? They wont need a typical 8hrs if their bodys are under a fraction of the stress and endurance of earth

You are making a huge (and totally incorrect) assumption here, that astronauts expend little energy in space. In fact, to counter the bone and muscle wasting that would otherwise occur, astronauts spend at least two hours every day vigorously exercising.

You are making a huge (and totally incorrect) assumption here, that astronauts expend little energy in space. In fact, to counter the bone and muscle wasting that would otherwise occur, astronauts spend at least two hours every day vigorously exercising.

My mistake, i was thinking out loud, i stand corrected, thank you

• Like 1

Well I take my hat off to you Lucas - at least you tried to apply some critical thinking :tsu:

• Like 1

Hey, in a world in which so few people are prepared to think at all thinking out loud is a good thing.

• Like 2