Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

"You didn't build that"

• Please log in to reply
439 replies to this topic

#436    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,496 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

View PostTiggs, on 07 September 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

Your post single-handedly proved my position. As does your continuing attitude towards me.
Yawn.  No I proved how empty your arguments are, how meaningless your hyperbole is and if you had a lick of sense you'd know that without my having to explain it to you.

BTW, I argue with you only to dissaude people on the fence from falling into the hypnotic trance of liberalism.  I have no illusions of ever changing what you think because, as I said, you are a zealot.

So, what is your plan for November 7th after the disaster that is going to hit the democrats on November 6th?  Will you cry "They cheated!!"  or something else?  Better start planning because armageddon is only 60 days away, I gauarantee that.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#437    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,557 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

View PostMerc14, on 07 September 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

Yawn.  No I proved how empty your arguments are, how meaningless your hyperbole is and if you had a lick of sense you'd know that without my having to explain it to you.

BTW, I argue with you only to dissaude people on the fence from falling into the hypnotic trance of liberalism.  I have no illusions of ever changing what you think because, as I said, you are a zealot.

So, what is your plan for November 7th after the disaster that is going to hit the democrats on November 6th?  Will you cry "They cheated!!"  or something else?  Better start planning because armageddon is only 60 days away, I gauarantee that.

Again. I rest my case.

#438    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,557 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostMichelle, on 07 September 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

I happen to be a right leaning Libertarian.

Presumably you'll be voting for Gary Johnson, then?

#439    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,496 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

View PostTiggs, on 07 September 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

Again. I rest my case.

Weak.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#440    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,767 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostTiggs, on 07 September 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

Presumably you'll be voting for Gary Johnson, then?

I'm leaning heavily in that direction.

#441    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,557 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

View PostMerc14, on 07 September 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

Weak.

Strong. Since we're obviously playing the childish game of just repeating the opposite of what the other person says to form a polarized partisan argument.

And you'd have got away with it, too, if it wasn't for all those pesky neutral fact checkers.

#442    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,496 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostTiggs, on 07 September 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

Strong. Since we're obviously playing the childish game of just repeating the opposite of what the other person says to form a polarized partisan argument.

And you'd have got away with it, too, if it wasn't for all those pesky neutral fact checkers.

Neutral fact checkers?  LMAO.  You want to make a little bet on the outcome of the election?  I'll bet the republicans take the senate, kep the house and win the Presidency.  If they don't, I won't post here for two months after taaking my deserved whipping the 7th.  If I am right you leave for two months after taking the same whipping the 7th.

Come on, you are so sure of yourself, put it on the line.  I'm the one out on a limb here so man-up.

#443    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,557 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostMerc14, on 07 September 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

Neutral fact checkers?  LMAO.  You want to make a little bet on the outcome of the election?

What makes you think that I think the Democrats are going to win? And what do neutral fact checkers have to do with the outcome of an election?

#444    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,265 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:22 PM

View PostTiggs, on 07 September 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

What makes you think that I think the Democrats are going to win? And what do neutral fact checkers have to do with the outcome of an election?

Directly nothing, but if the vice candidate and the candidate keep on spurting boolcrappy then indirectly a lot.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#445    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,557 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 07 September 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

Directly nothing, but if the vice candidate and the candidate keep on spurting boolcrappy then indirectly a lot.

Well, that I can see, but it's not as if Facts will change dependent on whichever candidate wins. They just are.

For example - If the Democrats win, it's not as if Romney actually meant "I like being able to fire people" in the context that the Democrats are claiming he did.

If the Republicans win - it doesn't make "You didn't build that" any more contextual, either.

#446    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,496 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

View PostTiggs, on 07 September 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

You're the one that mentioned neutral fact checkers, not me. I have no idea what you were talking about but you referring to any info you use as neutral is laugahable.  

So you think I am right then and the dems lose the exec and senate.  Good, glad you agree.

Edited by Merc14, 07 September 2012 - 06:34 PM.

#447    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,925 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

View PostTiggs, on 07 September 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

Who are these nuetral fact checkers you speak of?

#448    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,307 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

dang is this thread still active????

#449    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,265 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostTiggs, on 07 September 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

Well, that I can see, but it's not as if Facts will change dependent on whichever candidate wins. They just are.

For example - If the Democrats win, it's not as if Romney actually meant "I like being able to fire people" in the context that the Democrats are claiming he did.

If the Republicans win - it doesn't make "You didn't build that" any more contextual, either.

Absolutely. For about 82% of those who are going to go to vote the arguments are of very little influence, they will make their cross (or whatever method is used in that state) where they always did or where their "cool friends" put it.

The restant 18% is what matters. And they actually have the fate of the country in their hand.

This year it is in fashion to be libertarian so most are "libertarian". and many of those who are could hardly explain what a "libertarian" is.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#450    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

View PostTiggs, on 07 September 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

It's called Doublethink.  You should know that....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users