Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

American flag pins are for idiots

Lt_Ripley

This generation doesn't sacrifice or even pay for our wars. No, all we do is sport pins and bumper stickers.

By Bill Maher

Oct. 12, 2007 | New Rule: Show me a man wearing an American flag pin in his lapel, and I'll show you an a******. I'm sure there are exceptions, but in general people need to remember that lapels aren't for wearing pins to create the illusion that you're supporting the troops. They're for wearing ribbons to create the illusion that you're helping cure a disease.

Last week we had the first genuine controversy of the presidential campaign: the shocking news that Barack Obama doesn't wear an American flag lapel pin, so apparently he and America are no longer going steady. "No lapel pin, Senator? It's like not wearing pants. Why don't you just stab the Statue of Liberty in the eye while b****-slapping a 9/11 widow?" Another in a series of bull non-stories that have zero effect on the troops, the war or anything in the real world -- or, as Fox calls it, "Breaking News."

A reporter in Iowa asked Obama why he doesn't wear the pin and Obama explained that, to him, wearing the pin had come to seem like a "substitute for true patriotism." Bravo, Senator. And then, in yet another shining example of why the media is part of the problem, ABC's Claire Shipman said, "TMI, too much information -- all he had to say was, 'Don't judge me by what I wear, move on.' He played into the idea that he's not ready for prime time."

What, schoolgirl? "Too much information?" What is she, 12? This is typical press hypocrisy -- they say they want somebody who doesn't give pat political answers, but when they get one, they call him a loser. They say they don't like safe robots like Hillary, but they create conditions where only that species can survive. And they give cover to people like Sean Hannity, who reported on "no pin" gate and then had to call a doctor because his fake outrage hard-on lasted longer than 72 hours.

Of course, the Republicans are the party of Mark Foley and the Rev. Ted Haggard and Larry Craig and countless other closeted homosexuals, so their fixation on jewelry is understandable, but still ... the flag is just a symbol. You're getting p***y about a brooch, you drama queens, one that was probably made in China. It's probably leaking poison lead on you right now.

At least that would be some sacrifice, because let's be honest: this generation doesn't do real sacrifice or even pay for our own wars. That's what grandkids are for! No, we do flag pins and bumper stickers. And not even bumper stickers. Bumper magnets. Because stickers are tough to get off, and we may change our mind about never forgetting.

When I see the little flag right here, the first thing I think is, you voted for, and still like, George Bush, the man who has gotten more troops unnecessarily killed and maimed by failing to plan for their mission, by pushing their units to the breaking point, by letting his corporate enablers like Halliburton, Bechtel and Blackwater rape and pillage not just the Iraqis, but our own army.

Can you imagine how apoplectic the flag-pin people would be if these same transgressions against the military were being made by Bill Clinton? Oh, who am I kidding? They'd still be obsessing about the *******.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2007/10/12/flag_pins/

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caesar

• BrucePrime

• EmpressStarXVII

• Fluffybunny

Top Posters In This Topic

he's right

Of course, the Republicans are the party of Mark Foley and the Rev. Ted Haggard and Larry Craig and countless other closeted homosexuals, so their fixation on jewelry is understandable, but still ... the flag is just a symbol.]
hahaha!

This generation doesn't sacrifice or even pay for our wars. No, all we do is sport pins and bumper stickers.

By Bill Maher

Oct. 12, 2007 | New Rule: Show me a man wearing an American flag pin in his lapel, and I'll show you an a******. I'm sure there are exceptions, but in general people need to remember that lapels aren't for wearing pins to create the illusion that you're supporting the troops. They're for wearing ribbons to create the illusion that you're helping cure a disease.

Last week we had the first genuine controversy of the presidential campaign: the shocking news that Barack Obama doesn't wear an American flag lapel pin, so apparently he and America are no longer going steady. "No lapel pin, Senator? It's like not wearing pants. Why don't you just stab the Statue of Liberty in the eye while b****-slapping a 9/11 widow?" Another in a series of bull non-stories that have zero effect on the troops, the war or anything in the real world -- or, as Fox calls it, "Breaking News."

A reporter in Iowa asked Obama why he doesn't wear the pin and Obama explained that, to him, wearing the pin had come to seem like a "substitute for true patriotism." Bravo, Senator. And then, in yet another shining example of why the media is part of the problem, ABC's Claire Shipman said, "TMI, too much information -- all he had to say was, 'Don't judge me by what I wear, move on.' He played into the idea that he's not ready for prime time."

What, schoolgirl? "Too much information?" What is she, 12? This is typical press hypocrisy -- they say they want somebody who doesn't give pat political answers, but when they get one, they call him a loser. They say they don't like safe robots like Hillary, but they create conditions where only that species can survive. And they give cover to people like Sean Hannity, who reported on "no pin" gate and then had to call a doctor because his fake outrage hard-on lasted longer than 72 hours.

Of course, the Republicans are the party of Mark Foley and the Rev. Ted Haggard and Larry Craig and countless other closeted homosexuals, so their fixation on jewelry is understandable, but still ... the flag is just a symbol. You're getting p***y about a brooch, you drama queens, one that was probably made in China. It's probably leaking poison lead on you right now.

At least that would be some sacrifice, because let's be honest: this generation doesn't do real sacrifice or even pay for our own wars. That's what grandkids are for! No, we do flag pins and bumper stickers. And not even bumper stickers. Bumper magnets. Because stickers are tough to get off, and we may change our mind about never forgetting.

When I see the little flag right here, the first thing I think is, you voted for, and still like, George Bush, the man who has gotten more troops unnecessarily killed and maimed by failing to plan for their mission, by pushing their units to the breaking point, by letting his corporate enablers like Halliburton, Bechtel and Blackwater rape and pillage not just the Iraqis, but our own army.

Can you imagine how apoplectic the flag-pin people would be if these same transgressions against the military were being made by Bill Clinton? Oh, who am I kidding? They'd still be obsessing about the *******.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2007/10/12/flag_pins/

I don't think hat obama fellow amd others like him feel the need to run arround waving the national flag in peoples faces. To many, patriotism and love of country is not something which needs to be overt. It's something that just should be so there is no need to shout about it because it is assumed.

hope this makes sense. just my thoughts.

Obama doesn't wear a flag pin ... Breaking News!!! :rolleyes:

Who the hell cares? it doesn't say anything about his patriotism. (I'm not a big obama supporter btw)

OK... You are on record as saying that displaying the American flag is for idiots.

As someone from the world of our fighting men and women as well as police and fire and rescue I am saying that is offensive and insulting. Very insulting considering the lives on the line to save your sorry hides.

People who think displaying their country's flag is for idiots seem depraved or diseased or both. At the very least like a bunch of spoiled, ungrateful losers.

What we would expect from the failed 60's self-loathing protester wannabes.

Here's a challenge for you.

Send the fire and rescue departments in your area a message saying that displaying their country's flag is for idiots. Include your name and address. Then provide us on the forum with proof you did so.

Edited by libertyworld

I'm sure there are exceptions, but in general people need to remember that lapels aren't for wearing pins to create the illusion that you're supporting the troops. They're for wearing ribbons to create the illusion that you're helping cure a disease.

Beautiful! My favorite line from the rant. I hate those damned ribbons.

A reporter in Iowa asked Obama why he doesn't wear the pin and Obama explained that, to him, wearing the pin had come to seem like a "substitute for true patriotism." Bravo, Senator.

Yes, Bravo Senator Obama! While I don't agree with the statement that flag-pins are for idiots, both Obama and Maher are right that no one's patriotism should be judged because of a lack of a stupid peace of jewelry.

Edited by BrucePrime

Beautiful! My favorite line from the rant. I hate those damned ribbons.
that makes two of us. i hate how people pretend to be patriotic because they have a yellow ribbon magnet on their car.
While I don't agree with the statement that flag-pins are for idiots, both Obama and Maher are right that no one's patriotism should be judged because of a lack of a stupid peace of jewelry.
yupp, republicans must be running out of smear ideas. its so childish is laughable.

I was an Army Medic. I am now a firefighter Medic. I could care less if a person wears or displays an American flag. I could care less if they like the flag. Not my business. If they dont break any laws by destroying public flags I could care less what this guys thoughts are on the flag.

I worry about the citizens in general.

I care if they have a smoke alarm outside of their kids bedroom. I care if they practice a fire escape plan with their families. I care if they come to the station to learn how to instal baby seats correctly so that if they get in an accident the baby will be as safe as possible.

I care about things that actually make a difference in life. I dont bother spending brain cycles worrying about some guy disliking flags. Bigger and more important things to worry about.

Edited by Fluffybunny

I was an Army Medic. I am now a firefighter Medic. I could care less if a person wears or displays an American flag. I could care less if they like the flag. Not my business. If they dont break any laws by destroying public flags I could care less what this guys thoughts are on the flag.

You unpatriotic hate-monger.

You unpatriotic hate-monger.

Just as long as you are being safe, I could care less what you thing of me and my patriotism.

OK... You are on record as saying that displaying the American flag is for idiots.

As someone from the world of our fighting men and women as well as police and fire and rescue I am saying that is offensive and insulting. Very insulting considering the lives on the line to save your sorry hides.

People who think displaying their country's flag is for idiots seem depraved or diseased or both. At the very least like a bunch of spoiled, ungrateful losers.

What we would expect from the failed 60's self-loathing protester wannabes.

Here's a challenge for you.

Send the fire and rescue departments in your area a message saying that displaying their country's flag is for idiots. Include your name and address. Then provide us on the forum with proof you did so.

Your a public servant doing a job and that's IT! If you are doing the job for the medal or the pat on the back you shouldn't be on a squad or in a firehall and the least of your worries should be someone who thinks displaying the flag is dopey.

Lapiche- a volunteer firefighter for 20 years

I think its sad how he can make such a statement, to call people who wear the American flag pin as idiots. I was born under the flag, served under the flag and will be buried under the flag. how can he make such a statement under the very flag that protects his freedom of speech and his way of life. and an its an insult to those who have fallen under the flag.

Just as long as you are being safe, I could care less what you thing of me and my patriotism.

That was sarcastic. I was not being serious.

Truth is, you have my dream job.

That was sarcastic. I was not being serious.

Truth is, you have my dream job.

Oh sorry for the confusion. I still want you to be safe...and have smoke detectors...and all that... :)

Oh sorry for the confusion. I still want you to be safe...and have smoke detectors...and all that... :)

Trust me...I do work for Kidde and State Farm (as part of their Fire Safety Prevention Week)...I've seen enough to make sure I check smoke-detectors and carbon-monoxide detectors to the point of paranoia.

I think its sad how he can make such a statement, to call people who wear the American flag pin as idiots. I was born under the flag, served under the flag and will be buried under the flag. how can he make such a statement under the very flag that protects his freedom of speech and his way of life. and an its an insult to those who have fallen under the flag.

Call me a cynic, but to me that sounds like blind patriotism. It's just a piece of cloth, I don't care to say it. You wasn't born under the flag, you was born under a white hospital sheet, you didn't serve under the flag, you served under the president for the country. The flag doesn't protect our freedoms, those who we elect do. I'm not going to salute a flag if I want to show patriotism, I'm going to salute those who have actually done the work; not some cheaply made fiber.

Flags do not fly into foreign lands to protect us, it doesn't supply CPR to a choking child, it doesn't hold the water hose to put out flames of a burning building, or talk a bank robber into letting hostages go. It's YOU who does this, the American people. I'm not going to salute a flag if I want to show patriotism, I'm going to salute those who have actually made America what it is. The soldiers, the firemen, police officers, EMS workers, nurses, doctors, and guardsmen. It's the people that has made what America is. To me, that seems more personal and more caring.

I do understand where you come from as saying our flag represents all of this, but it doesn't cut it for me. I'd rather thank the people personally.

In my most humblest of opinions of course ^_^.

And yes, it's kinda mean to call someone an idiot ;).

Call me a cynic, but to me that sounds like blind patriotism. It's just a piece of cloth, I don't care to say it. You wasn't born under the flag, you was born under a white hospital sheet, you didn't serve under the flag, you served under the president for the country. The flag doesn't protect our freedoms, those who we elect do. I'm not going to salute a flag if I want to show patriotism, I'm going to salute those who have actually done the work; not some cheaply made fiber.

The American flag represents America and its people its . the red means the blood fought for victory and freedom. the stripes represent the 13 original colonies , the stars repesant the 50 states, and the white means freedom. to me it also represents those that have fallen to protect it the American flag flying at half-staff /mass is a symbol of mourning for the dead or as a signal of distress. the American flag is a symbol that represents America "It's just a piece of cloth" well tell that to the American POW's who cried when they saw the flag and knew finally they were free, from WWII to Vietnam. I know that the flag is nothing more then "just a piece of cloth" to some, but to others it represents something the American flag is a monument, a symbol of our freedom, our country and our way of life!

FLAGS OF OUR POW FATHERS

Edited by Caesar

The American flag represents America and its people its . the red means the blood fought for victory and freedom. the stripes represent the 13 original colonies , the stars repesant the 50 states, and the white means freedom. to me it also represents those that have fallen to protect it the American flag flying at half-staff /mass is a symbol of mourning for the dead or as a signal of distress. the American flag is a symbol that represents America "It's just a piece of cloth" well tell that to the American POW's who cried when they saw the flag and knew finally they were free, from WWII to Vietnam. I know that the flag is nothing more then "just a piece of cloth" to some, but to others it represents something the American flag is a monument, a symbol of our freedom, our country and our way of life!

FLAGS OF OUR POW FATHERS

I said I understood where you're coming from :P. I know what the flag represents, but as a personal feeling I feel like actual people represent it better.

I said I understood where you're coming from :P. I know what the flag represents, but as a personal feeling I feel like actual people represent it better.

Well most of those people have fallen. you made it seem as if it was just a piece of cloth!

Its just a flag.

And he's not saying the flag is stupid..hes saying people waving it around to show false patriotism is idiotic.

Well most of those people have fallen. you made it seem as if it was just a piece of cloth!

Have you ever saluted a grave site of a soldier? I have ;).

Its just a flag.

And he's not saying the flag is stupid..hes saying people waving it around to show false patriotism is idiotic.

See, that's what I got out of the article as well.......I don't get the people freaking out here, especially when they miss the point of the article.......but alas, I've said what was on my mind, think I'll just go back into "lurk" mode now.....

Have you ever saluted a grave site of a soldier? I have ;).

Your suppose to put your right hand over your hart, you salute only when covered.

Your suppose to put your right hand over your hart, you salute only when covered.

I'll remember that next time ;). I'm not a military genius, at least I'm still being respectful ;). Sheesh, if you're gonna be that picky you aint getting any flowers or nothing on yours old man :P.