Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How do i tell my parents i'm not christian

atheist tell not christian parents

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

• "I go when I want to go. To prolong life would be tasteless"
    Albert Einstein

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

stop stressing out. it's no biggie. just be good. that's all that matters.

"The truth is out there. We are all searching for it."
   PitchP

#17    CelestialStar

CelestialStar

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

• In science, nothing is absolute. They are merely speculations accepted as truth until disproven. There is no guaranteed truth, just perception.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

View PostStar of the Sea, on 23 December 2012 - 01:28 AM, said:

Okay it just comes across that your parents have force fed you religion and that appears to be the problem and why you are no longer Christian. :)

Edit to add: Your last question "also who should i call if they were to beat me on these grounds (hypothetically)"

Do you have a teacher whom you trust to speak to about this? Perhaps seek out someone whom you can turn to before you decide whether you are going to tell them you are no longer Christian.
i just needed to know in case i need it, i have a teacher i can talk to, but i need that # just in case (hopefully i wont)

Edited by CelestialStar, 23 December 2012 - 01:47 AM.

You want my proof that it's real?
Where is your proof that it isn't?

#18    shadowlark

shadowlark

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

View PostCelestialStar, on 23 December 2012 - 01:33 AM, said:

1.therein lies my worry, its amazing that religion can cause so much pain and tear apart families like that

2. i know it doesn't last forever, but putting up with it is painful too,

dont worry though:
they throw me out, i tell CNN, from cnn to the entire USA and more, a simple exchange.

No offense, but I don't think CNN is going to care if you get kicked out of your house. People get kicked out every day for being atheist/different religion/gay/dating someone not of their race.

As to who you would tell if the beat you, I think the obvious answer is the police.

#19    CelestialStar

CelestialStar

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

• In science, nothing is absolute. They are merely speculations accepted as truth until disproven. There is no guaranteed truth, just perception.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:51 AM

View Postshadowlark, on 23 December 2012 - 01:49 AM, said:

No offense, but I don't think CNN is going to care if you get kicked out of your house. People get kicked out every day for being atheist/different religion/gay/dating someone not of their race.

As to who you would tell if the beat you, I think the obvious answer is the police.
1. a bit harsh but i get the message
2. no one ever tells it to CNN, they would probably do a report on it regarding whether or not a parent can legally do that
3. under that mentality, the police wouldnt care either

Edited by CelestialStar, 23 December 2012 - 01:53 AM.

#20    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

Sounds like to me you are about 13 or 14.  So if they want you to go to church I don't see how your going to get out of it.  If you are only about 13 I wouldn't tell them or get into a religious argument with them it won't do any good.  Quit often people only hear what they want to anyway so hinting won't do any good probably.  I would just hang in there until I was old enough to leave.

When I was at home I was forced to go to church but there were times I could get out of it.  I was forced to dress like a moron and taught views no girl should have pushed off on them.  Little do parents realize when that kid grows up and leaves home they will probably get in more trouble than someone that hasn't had church pushed down their throat.  Hopefully you won't make that mistake.

I've seen this happen.  I never make my son go to church and never did but my neighbor was so strict and religious both her sons were getting into trouble.  One of them wanted to come live with me he was so unhappy.  She wouldn't even let them read comic books, they did at my house, because she said they were of the devil and this came from a woman that use to party a lot.

#21    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,797 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:55 AM

The police would care because it is neglect not to care for your underage child.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#22    CelestialStar

CelestialStar

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

View PostHilander, on 23 December 2012 - 01:54 AM, said:

Sounds like to me you are about 13 or 14.  So if they want you to go to church I don't see how your going to get out of it.  If you are only about 13 I wouldn't tell them or get into a religious argument with them it won't do any good.  Quit often people only hear what they want to anyway so hinting won't do any good probably.  I would just hang in there until I was old enough to leave.

When I was at home I was forced to go to church but there were times I could get out of it.  I was forced to dress like a moron and taught views no girl should have pushed off on them.  Little do parents realize when that kid grows up and leaves home they will probably get in more trouble than someone that hasn't had church pushed down their throat.  Hopefully you won't make that mistake.

I've seen this happen.  I never make my son go to church and never did but my neighbor was so strict and religious both her sons were getting into trouble.  One of them wanted to come live with me he was so unhappy.  She wouldn't even let them read comic books, they did at my house, because she said they were of the devil and this came from a woman that use to party a lot.

i must say, im a bit unhappy with the suggestion, but know that you are right

p.s. i have no intention of getting into trouble or anything, there is no need :)

Edited by CelestialStar, 23 December 2012 - 02:02 AM.

#23    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

Unless it is of utmost importance to you that they know, why trouble them with it?

You get to choose what you believe or don't, and their approval or disapproval won't change it.

Now, on the otherhand, you feel compelled to get it off your chest, just be honest and straight forward with it.

I've never told my mother that I am a non-believer.    I don't really have any plans of telling her.  She knows I am not religious, but not she doesn't know to what extent.

#24    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

View PostCelestialStar, on 23 December 2012 - 12:45 AM, said:

I didnt think there was, i just hoped,
well have a merry christmas

I think you just have to say it how it is...the sooner the better...this is the best way,
hopefully they being Christian and your parents will love you just as much and respect you for being who you are not who they want you to be....I think that's the biggest issue to any relationship your always going to be let down because people generally are not who you want them to be.

#25    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

you dont. you practice what you believe. Thats why we have freedom of religion.

#26    Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

How old are you?  Why intentionally create conflict?   There is no need to harass your parents about their beliefs.  Let them believe whatever the heck they want to believe?  

If you intentionally create conflict all it will do is create "duality and separation" between your parents and you.  Drive a wedge in the relationship.  

All Christianity is anyway is a mixed up religion created from an amalgam of beliefs that were common during the 1st Century.   It's a little bit of Mithraism, Judaism, Horus worship, Isis and Osiris, etc.   I believe Jesus was just a little Jewish rabbi that had a deep and profound near death experience while he was up on that cross and they cut him down and he was in a coma and on Sunday he got up from his coma and told everyone he could what he experienced during his near death experience.  Christianity at it's very heart is a near death experience religion and the New Testament is basically a highly embellished and out of sequence near death experience story.    It's a religion with a dash of Mithraism, Judaism, and Horus, Isis, and Osiris worship thrown in to make it more interesting.

#27    RavenEyes19

RavenEyes19

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:28 AM

View PostArtaxerxes, on 23 December 2012 - 02:12 AM, said:

How old are you?  Why intentionally create conflict?   There is no need to harass your parents about their beliefs.  Let them believe whatever the heck they want to believe?
How would a person be harrassing their parents by simply telling them they no longer believe in their religion?

Some people live and breathe christianity..it consumes their thoughts and everything that comes out of their mouths is somehow related to their beliefs. I imagine it would get exhausting having to pretend to be something you're not..having to discuss religion as if you're a believer or having to pray all the time. That said, I think anyone who wants to tell his/her parents should at least wait until they are out of the house and independent. I've known people who were kicked out of the house for coming out as an atheist or nonbeliever. Also accept the possibility that your parents may disown you or never talk to you afterwards.

#28    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:01 AM

Do you really need to? We were never religious in my house, never went to church or even spoke of religion really but I know my mum believes in god, a Christian god. Even as a young kid I believed in a Christian god, mainly because they speak of it on TV as fact. When I grew up though, my beliefs changed a lot, but I found no reason to say to my mum "I think it's unlikely there is any god" (only my opinion), never had a reason to say it. But obviously it must be different in your house being so openly religious.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#29    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,184 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

View PostArtaxerxes, on 23 December 2012 - 02:12 AM, said:

Did you read the OP? It is the parents enforcing their beliefs, apparently to the extent the children can't eat unless they pray.

How the hell is telling someone you don't believe, harassment?

Edited by Rlyeh, 23 December 2012 - 07:21 AM.

#30    Me_Jane

Me_Jane

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

just pretend until you dont live at home anymore, then tell them. its not worth the drama.

jane

Also tagged with atheist, tell, not, christian, parents

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users