Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

Los Angeles City Council has voted to ban the use of electronic cigarettes in the city's restaurants, bars, nightclubs and public spaces.

The council voted unanimously to ban the battery-powered devices, which are filled with nicotine liquid.

If the bill is signed into law, Los Angeles would follow New York and Chicago in imposing similar rules.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-26452778

By all means, let's panic because something looks like a cigarette and might make someone uncomfortable.

• Like 7

My brother uses one of these and it actually smells good.

• Like 3

I don't really have an opinion on the ban mentioned in the article, I am also sure that these things are not as harmful as 'real' smoking but I cannot get a nagging feeling out of my head that some of these e-cigs contain some nasties.

It would be nice to see some research into their content and any possible side effects that is not tainted by the tobacco companies influence.

• Like 1

I don't really have an opinion on the ban mentioned in the article, I am also sure that these things are not as harmful as 'real' smoking but I cannot get a nagging feeling out of my head that some of these e-cigs contain some nasties.

It would be nice to see some research into their content and any possible side effects that is not tainted by the tobacco companies influence.

It's already tainted by the tobacco companies' influence. They're after the Vape companies and want the big piece of the pie. The lobbyists are pushing hard to ban Vape products on Ebay by labeling them as "tobacco products" even though they have nothing to do with tobacco.

If the tobacco companies start making up stories that tell you about how much healthier it is (and they will after they own the market), you shouldn't believe that either.

• Like 1

It's not a mystery what's in vape juice either. There isn't any lack of research beyond our own individual lack of research. It's regulated by the market thus there are consequences for not putting out the product one claims to.

http://www.projectva...what-is-ejuice/

But is it non-GMO?

• Like 1

If they are going to ban them in bars that have live music then they had better ban fog machines too. They both work pretty much the same way.

They should also ban the boiling of water in restaurants too, that creates hot water vapor also known as steam.

• Like 3

But is it non-GMO?

I'm not sure. Which ingredient listed above could be GMO?

It adheres to "standards set down in the USP, NF or FCC (U.S.Pharmacopoeia, National Formulary, and Food Chemical Codex)", whatever that means.

I'm not sure. Which ingredient listed above could be GMO?

It adheres to "standards set down in the USP, NF or FCC (U.S.Pharmacopoeia, National Formulary, and Food Chemical Codex)", whatever that means.

I would thing that the vegatable glycerin could be a GMO derived product. We should get Food Babe on it.

I have to agree, it's people seeing the vaopr and reacting as if someone held a terd under their nose...it is not smoke and it has no smell...just little punkies more concerned with your life than their own.

Mind your own business....perhaps instead of e cigs...everyone should bean up and just rip raunchy farts all the time...how long till that gets banned?

• Like 5

In my experience, people only seem weird about it until they realize it isn't a cigarette. I have had people next to me literally waving their hand in front of their face while I'm vaping, and once I show them what it is, they are usually very accepting.

• Like 1

People will eat processed food with all kinds of crap and chemicals in it, but inhale a bit of water vapor with some nicotine in it, and they all lose their damn minds.

Unreal to me.

• Like 3

everyone should bean up and just rip raunchy farts all the time...how long till that gets banned?

Until you get sued for it :)

• Like 1

It's already tainted by the tobacco companies' influence.

That is exactly why I said 'that is not tainted by the tobacco companies'.

Are you after me this week Yamato ;)

labeling them as "tobacco products" even though they have nothing to do with tobacco.

Please forgive my ignorance here, but where does the nicotine come from then, is the nicotine used artificial or some sort of substitute?

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

Please forgive my ignorance here, but where does the nicotine come from then, is the nicotine used artificial or some sort of substitute?

That's an awesome question. In 2009 they were all supposedly synthetic. Although Nicotine is naturally present in many plants, tobacco would be by far the most efficient way to extract it. Since then tobacco companies have gotten, for better or worse, invested in the e-cigarette market more and more in recent years and it's gotten to the point where bans are happening despite the differences with smoking. Los Angeles just imposed a ban hours ago.

That's an awesome question. In 2009 they were all supposedly synthetic. Although Nicotine is naturally present in many plants, tobacco would be by far the most efficient way to extract it. Since then tobacco companies have gotten, for better or worse, invested in the e-cigarette market more and more in recent years and it's gotten to the point where bans are happening despite the differences with smoking. Los Angeles just imposed a ban hours ago.

I didn't realise synthetic nicotine was used, I just assumed the tobacco plant was an integral part of the process. I would also assume (got to stop doing that ;) ) that using the plant would be more economical than synthetically producing the nicotine making the synthetic redundant.

Personally I would label it as a tobacco product, but this is from generic grouping rather than meticulous research.

Thanks for the link about the e-juice content a few posts back, its just a bit to rosy for me though, seems a bit like a school report written by the pupil rather than the teacher. Interesting read though. :tu:

Edited by Junior Chubb

They tried to warn about dangers of smoking shisha last year, but did not say how many people have died over the hundreds years since its been smoked

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2312978/Smoking-shisha-NOT-safe-alternative-cigarettes.html

The tobacco companies must be...fuming, they do not like losing money and not having the upper hand in control, so paying a few "experts and law makers" a few hundred million to try and put a stop to the opposition would be right up their street.

• Like 1

Just a thought, when people are using these e-cigarettes does the nicotine get into the surrounding air and affect bystanders? If so, perhaps this is the reason they're being banned? If not, then I have no idea why they aren't acceptable. Anyone know?

• Like 1

E-cigs should have the same restrictions as normal cigarettes. I personally think they're worse in public since they're odorless and you can't smell it when you're inhaling some second-hand vapor.

E-cigs should have the same restrictions as normal cigarettes. I personally think they're worse in public since they're odorless and you can't smell it when you're inhaling some second-hand vapor.

We're always inhaling one thing or another. How far would you like to go?

• Like 3

Just a thought, when people are using these e-cigarettes does the nicotine get into the surrounding air and affect bystanders? If so, perhaps this is the reason they're being banned? If not, then I have no idea why they aren't acceptable. Anyone know?

They should ban automobiles then. The fumes they give off are far worse for you. Have you ever been walking down the sidewalk when a diesel bus passes you by?

Ban this, ban that, sue him, sue her... I swear nobody is happy anymore unless they are complaining about something.

• Like 4

They should ban automobiles then. The fumes they give off are far worse for you. Have you ever been walking down the sidewalk when a diesel bus passes you by?

You want to try riding behind one on a bicycle in traffic... I would join the complaining but my car is diesel :blush: