Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best fraud in history

EmpressStarXVII

Ever hear of Frank Abagnale Jr.?

I find his story so facinating. He was only 16 years old when he started his life of check and identity fraud. In a little over 5 years he wrote $2.4 million dollars worth of bogus checks under 8 different names. He even was able to work as a Pan Am co-pilot, an attourney, a peditrician doctor, and a professor of sociology at Brigham Young University! Everything about his life was forged. His degree at Harvard, his pilot licenses. Can you imagine that?

He was eventually caught by the FBI and sent to prison for 5 years, little after his release he went and worked as an FBI agent detecting fraudulent checks. Eventually he created his own company for security to banks, and is now a legitiment millionaire.

If only we all could do this and have a happy ending :rolleyes:

Read more of his story here.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• American Chupacabra

• trickyhomunculi

• EmpressStarXVII

• RushMaiden

You do know there was a movie made about this right ??? Its called Catch me if You Can....

Yes, thats what got me interested, because I was surprised I never heard who he was before.

• 2 weeks later...
Ever hear of Frank Abagnale Jr.?

I find his story so facinating. He was only 16 years old when he started his life of check and identity fraud. In a little over 5 years he wrote $2.4 million dollars worth of bogus checks under 8 different names. He even was able to work as a Pan Am co-pilot, an attourney, a peditrician doctor, and a professor of sociology at Brigham Young University! Everything about his life was forged. His degree at Harvard, his pilot licenses. Can you imagine that?

He was eventually caught by the FBI and sent to prison for 5 years, little after his release he went and worked as an FBI agent detecting fraudulent checks. Eventually he created his own company for security to banks, and is now a legitiment millionaire.

If only we all could do this and have a happy ending :rolleyes:

Read more of his story here.

I quite enjoyed Catch me if you Can, some of the incidences in that were funny lol.

On the other side of it though, quite scary isn't it that someone could do all that and not get caught for quite a long time, no wonder the FBI wanted him, they probably thought it would be a good idea to keep an eye on him LOL. (Apart from being an expert and helping them in this field that is).

I quite enjoyed Catch me if you Can, some of the incidences in that were funny lol.

On the other side of it though, quite scary isn't it that someone could do all that and not get caught for quite a long time, no wonder the FBI wanted him, they probably thought it would be a good idea to keep an eye on him LOL. (Apart from being an expert and helping them in this field that is).

lol

why hadn't i heard of this guy before?

This guy was friggin genius, such an amazing story

he was no genius he got caught

there are major criminals committing frauds and you will never ever know their name nevermind hear about the crime,now thats genius

• 3 months later...

one of the greatest fraud masters was Rabbi Joseph Prushinowski he obtained $190 Million in International bank fraud. He was eventually caught in Israel.

You do know there was a movie made about this right ??? Its called Catch me if You Can....

Love that movie. Surprised nobody before him thought of using the logos on model airplanes to make fake airline-pilot checks

why hadn't i heard of this guy before?
I kind of doubt that it's the sort of thing the F.B.I. is happy to discuss. The guy pulled all that off and evaded them for a long time.

Surprised nobody before him thought of using the logos on model airplanes to make fake airline-pilot checks
You never know what is going through someones mind while they are sniffing model airplane glue.

I kind of doubt that it's the sort of thing the F.B.I. is happy to discuss. The guy pulled all that off and evaded them for a long time.

I agree. They probably want people to think that they can catch crooks just *snap* like that.

You never know what is going through someones mind while they are sniffing model airplane glue.

:w00t: That's funny...but true :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

If I can remember correctly the chick got screwed twice. Once by him then his fake check. I wonder if she was able to cash it. The movie was pretty good and it's weird how everything seemed to work out for him until the end. I guess some people are just a little bit more lucky than others.

Runner-up goes to Brian Bosworth who conned the Seatle Seahawks into giving him 10 million...

"Ever hear of Frank Abagnale Jr.? "

Yes, but I would not go so far as to say that he pulled the best fast-one in history.

My front runner is Guiseppe Balsamo, better know as Alessandro Comte di Cagliostro. He managed to run away with part of France's royal treasure.

Edit: missed apostrophe

Edited by questionmark