Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

4 dolphins shot to death in California

Lt_Ripley

4 dolphins shot to death in Calif.

By NOAKI SCHWARTZ, Associated Press Writer

Fri Jun 15, 6:01 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - Four dead dolphins have washed ashore with fatal bullet wounds and fifth with lacerations on its pectoral fin, said authorities who have offered a reward for information on the slayings.

The long-beaked common dolphins were all discovered between Carlsbad State Beach and Oceanside Harbor between May 29 and June 5. Photos showed their normally sleek gray skin mottled and stained with blood from the bullet wounds.

"It's a horrendous thing that happened," said Mark Oswell, spokesman for the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration. "That someone would go out there and shoot four dolphins."

Necropsies revealed that the dolphins, which were healthy with bellies full of fish, may have been shot at the same time with the same gun. Four had between one and three bullets of the same caliber in the same part of their heads.

Federal officials say that nationwide, they normally get one report of a dolphin shooting a year. The last time San Diego reported such a death was five years ago. Before that there hadn't been one in the area since the 1960s.

"It usually turns out to be a fisherman," said Oswell, adding there have been cases when anglers take out their frustrations on dolphins and other mammals that eat their catch.

The agency is offering up to $2,500 for information on the deaths. If caught, the perpetrator could face civil penalties of up to $12,000 or a criminal fine of up to $20,000, as well as jail time.

Harassing or killing dolphins is a violation of the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972, a federal law that protects seals, sea lions, dolphins, whales and other marine mammals.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070615/ap_on_...ered_dolphins_1

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sir_Muffonious

• Lt_Ripley

• Bunny Munro

• goalienan

:hmm::no:

Dolphins are such beautiful and intelligent creatures.....It goes to show that man is a cruel and vicious predator IMO.......

A triple salute to the NRA ! Just keep on handing out guns to idiots !

WHAT A SICK INDECENCY!11one!

.... *eats tuna sandwich*

Edited by Affliction

WHAT A SICK INDECENCY!

.... *eats tuna sandwich*

lol . hey it was funny ! ( defending myself for laughing)

That is soo sad. How could someone do something like that to those poor aminals. :(

That's sick & wrong. I feel bad for the four dolphins. I hope they catch who are responable.

What's the difference between killing a dolphin for ****'s and giggles and let's say a bug for one's personal convenience, a life which most do not even consider before taking? It amuses me how angry people get when animals which are considered to be "cute" are killed.

I'm just wondering what people's tale on this is, I just see it as a perk of being at the top of the food chain.

i saw a video of trawler men, think chinese? collecting dolphins in their nets and boy it was sick, but then the slaughter comes and it was not humanily it was slice the throat area and leave the dolphin flapping around in shear pain. made me physically sick. im a vegetarian now, but then i heard tomatoes plants scream when you pick the tomatoes off. their is no winning :no: ill just eat grass :yes:

What a sick inhumane act! I demand that the local authourities stop all other investigations at this time and find the ones responsible. Who cares about drug running and murders when dolphins are being shot!? :sm

That is so sad...They're such gentle creatures.. When my grandson surfs, there are usually 2 or 3 dolphins right beside him...He said they make him feel protected... :)

That is so sad...They're such gentle creatures.. When my grandson surfs, there are usually 2 or 3 dolphins right beside him...He said they make him feel protected... :)

That would be anyone's reaction to a swarm of dolphins. But you'll all see the truth when they show their true colors and start eating people. Prrft, and you all blame the sharks.

There was no reason for this. I believe if you kill something you either eat it or use it for something productive.

or use it for something productive.

Like distracting police while your buddies enact an enourmous illegal arms deal? Yes, I suppose that's productive.

That would be anyone's reaction to a swarm of dolphins. But you'll all see the truth when they show their true colors and start eating people. Prrft, and you all blame the sharks.

Huh?????

There was no reason for this. I believe if you kill something you either eat it or use it for something productive.
For the most part, yeah. I might be a little on the other side of the fence when it comes to varmints like squirrels that get into my fruit trees and eat allmy fruit though. Nonetheless, this is different. Dolphins are not eating what little you have, they are not very tasty and there is no real use for their body parts that is not better suited by another material. What's more, they are a protected species. Simply put, LEAVE THEM THE HELL ALONE!!!

Like distracting police while your buddies enact an enourmous illegal arms deal? Yes, I suppose that's productive
I don't see how those two things are anything alike.

You must be from LBI :)

That is so sick and from they way it happened it sounds like fishermen. I hear what we call in the Pines "Baybillies" bragging about asinine crap like this. wrap them up and throw them out as bluefish chum... :angry:

Lapiche

For the most part, yeah. I might be a little on the other side of the fence when it comes to varmints like squirrels that get into my fruit trees and eat allmy fruit though.

I don't really see much difference there either. Is your fruit worth more than a squirrels life? The squirrel is just acquiring a meal in the way he knows...the squirrel does not recognize ownership.

Let's just kill everything that gets in our way. Isn't that what man does ultimately..even to himself? It's there. Kill it.

I have an immense reverence for life. All life. Why do we need to kill everything that we see? I reached out today and grabbed a tiny gnat for no apparent reason except that it was there. And I thought...how vain! How vain to think that human life is more sacred than the life of a gnat. Life is not to be extinguished so lightly. I would not be so perplexed about the life of a gnat I suppose if I could just as easily create another gnat.