Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Kids Poisoned by Medical Marijuana

pot marijuana poison

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

#1    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,233 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:17 AM

http://health.usnews...ana-study-finds

"We are seeing increases in exposure to marijuana in young pediatric patients, and they have more severe symptoms than we typically associate with marijuana," said lead researcher Dr. George Sam Wang, a medical toxicology fellow at the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center in Denver.

The active chemical in marijuana, tetrahydrocannabinol, is in higher than normal concentrations in medical marijuana, and often is sold in baked goods, soft drinks and candies, the researchers said in the study, which was published online May 27 in the journal JAMA Pediatrics.

"We are seeing more symptoms because some of these products have very high amounts of marijuana in them," Wang said. "You get such a high dose on such a small child, the symptoms are more severe."

As with many similar poisonings, treatment is limited to supportive care and waiting until the marijuana clears the system, he said.

Children recover quickly in most cases, Wang said. "They don't need more than a day or two of hospitalization," he said. "There were no deaths or lasting side effects."

For the study, Wang's team compared the number of children treated in the emergency room for marijuana poisoning before and after the law was enacted in October 2009.

In all, almost 1,400 children under 12 were evaluated for accidental poisonings in this one hospital -- 790 before Sept. 30, 2009, and 588 after that.

After decriminalization, 14 children -- mostly boys and some as young as 8 months -- were found to have ingested marijuana. Eight had consumed medical marijuana, and seven ate marijuana in foods. Two were admitted to the intensive care unit.

Before Sept. 30, 2009, none of those possible poisonings was attributed to marijuana, the researchers found.

I know that does not sound so bad, and maybe it is not. But it is just another data point in the discussion of legalizing pot. None died. All recovered with no lasting effects, so right there it seems safer the bleach or draino. :w00t:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#2    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:07 AM

Seeing how it's a drug, and the issue stems from too much of the active substance within the brownies, isn't it a matter of overdose and not poison?

Life is the result of the struggle between dynamic opposites Form & Chaos, Substance & Oblivion, Light & Dark And all the infinite variations of Yin & Yang
When the pendulum swings in favour of one It will eventually swing in favour of it's opposite Thus the balance of the universe is maintained

-Jeru the Damaja

#3    Jessem

Jessem

Future Husband

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

• No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

Pesticides...

The secret of life is'nt trying to figure out the secret, its about living it.

#4    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,764 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:37 AM

POPULAR

Poison? What?

I don't even know why anyone would need to be hospitalised after consumption of Marijuana unless there was something else in it (ie preservatives, pesticides, weight adding chemicals like from hairspray, etc). But no one has ever overdosed from the active substance, THC, ever, to my knowledge at least.

Good old fear mongering at work.

#5    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,500 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 28 May 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

Poison? What?

I don't even know why anyone would need to be hospitalised after consumption of Marijuana unless there was something else in it (ie preservatives, pesticides, weight adding chemicals like from hairspray, etc). But no one has ever overdosed from the active substance, THC, ever, to my knowledge at least.

I was wondering the same thing, I have heard of alcoholic poisoning, but never Marijuana poisoning. Are they saying that tetrahydrocannabinol is a poison or a relaxant? With Alcohol, Alcohol depresses nerves that control involuntary actions such as breathing and the gag reflex, which prevents choking. A fatal dose of alcohol will eventually stop these functions. Is that the concern?
I think you are right with a zero death count, I think there might be a bit more to worry about to be honest.

Would not being poisoned by a penicillin or harsh opiate or something be a real medical concern? Maybe they should be more worried about medecine security, and thanking their lucky stars that kids are not ingesting fatal substances? Seems more a wake up call than anything.

Edited by psyche101, 28 May 2013 - 06:52 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#6    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 28 May 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

Poison? What?

I remember seeing somewhere that in order to OD on THC you'd have to be smoking once every two minutes for several days. Even the most hardcore smokers I've known would be out after two hours of that.

Life is the result of the struggle between dynamic opposites Form & Chaos, Substance & Oblivion, Light & Dark And all the infinite variations of Yin & Yang
When the pendulum swings in favour of one It will eventually swing in favour of it's opposite Thus the balance of the universe is maintained

-Jeru the Damaja

#7    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,841 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

I remember being about 10 years old when my friend stole her dads bowl packed full. 20 mins later I was sick as a dog for about an hour. Didnt smoke again till I was 17.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#8    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,970 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

If any idiot  gobbles down too many pot brownies .. he or she is going to get too high ... for awhile.    Medical marijuana is simply a term used for marijuana used for medicinal purposes.. it's not   DIFFERENT    .    

I can see it coming..  Federal / Corporate control of production and distribution of   'medical' marijuana .  The stated reason  will be  SAFETY / PURITY.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#9    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,562 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 28 May 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

I think you are right with a zero death count.
'cept for one guy in india who was crushed to death when a 1.5ton bale of the finest charas fell on him, but I guess that's not what you meant....?
:-)

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#10    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostAlmagest, on 28 May 2013 - 06:07 AM, said:

Seeing how it's a drug, and the issue stems from too much of the active substance within the brownies, isn't it a matter of overdose and not poison?

This is probably the funnniest quote on all of UM! One of the biggest "selling" points of Cannabis is that you physically can't OD - anyone that tells you otherwise is either has an agenda or has just never tried the drug

Edited by Dark_Grey, 28 May 2013 - 12:19 PM.

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#11    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 28 May 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:

I know that does not sound so bad, and maybe it is not. But it is just another data point in the discussion of legalizing pot. None died. All recovered with no lasting effects, so right there it seems safer the bleach or draino. :w00t:

Exactly.

View PostDark_Grey, on 28 May 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

This is probably the funnniest quote on all of UM! One of the biggest "selling" points of Cannabis is that you physically can't OD - anyone that tells you otherwise is either has an agenda or has just never tried the drug

Yep. It's impossible for even the most hardcore smokers to OD.

#12    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,879 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

active compain agains mj.
for decades ppl smoked it, no problems, now "medical" mj gets a first step, and this crap happens. someone laced it with some crap on purpose.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#13    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,764 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 28 May 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

I was wondering the same thing, I have heard of alcoholic poisoning, but never Marijuana poisoning. Are they saying that tetrahydrocannabinol is a poison or a relaxant? With Alcohol, Alcohol depresses nerves that control involuntary actions such as breathing and the gag reflex, which prevents choking. A fatal dose of alcohol will eventually stop these functions. Is that the concern?
I think you are right with a zero death count, I think there might be a bit more to worry about to be honest.

Would not being poisoned by a penicillin or harsh opiate or something be a real medical concern? Maybe they should be more worried about medecine security, and thanking their lucky stars that kids are not ingesting fatal substances? Seems more a wake up call than anything.

I think they are using such incorrectly assigned words to demonise and spread fear mongering.

There are no overdoses or deaths resulting solely from the consumption of Marijuana that I know of.

A lot of prescribed medicines will do more damage to you than help you, much more than Marijuana ever will. It's all a business about maximising profits.

#14    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,764 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostAlmagest, on 28 May 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

I remember seeing somewhere that in order to OD on THC you'd have to be smoking once every two minutes for several days. Even the most hardcore smokers I've known would be out after two hours of that.

You wouldn't physically be capable of doing this is the thing. Even requiring a higher amount in a smaller timeframe would, if smoked, kill you from the lack of oxygen if anything (one of the ways they "proved" in order to illegalise marijuana due to killing of brain cells is after they basically engulfed them with THC smoke and they suffocated due to lack of oxygen, what happens when you suffocate? Your brain dies. Hence the dead brain cells. But it was ruled the THC was the cause of this.)

#15    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 28 May 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

You wouldn't physically be capable of doing this is the thing. Even requiring a higher amount in a smaller timeframe would, if smoked, kill you from the lack of oxygen if anything (one of the ways they "proved" in order to illegalise marijuana due to killing of brain cells is after they basically engulfed them with THC smoke and they suffocated due to lack of oxygen, what happens when you suffocate? Your brain dies. Hence the dead brain cells. But it was ruled the THC was the cause of this.)

I have quite legendary coughing fits, that'd probably kill me through exhaustion before oxygen deprivation or toxicity could set in. :P

-Jeru the Damaja

Also tagged with pot, marijuana, poison

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users