Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ohio School Janitors To Carry Handguns

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#1    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

A rural Ohio school district will arm its janitors with handguns to protect students in the wake of last month's shooting at a Connecticut elementary school.
The school board has voted unanimously to have the four custodians at the district's nursery and main school begin carrying handguns, the Toledo Blade reports.
In a message to parents on the district's website, Superintendent Jamison Grime said the school board decided to arm staff in order to "substantially enhance and strengthen our security efforts."
The janitors - all men - will buy their own guns. Teachers and others with direct supervision of students will not be armed.
School board president Larry Martin said the district began looking into arming employees six months ago.

Read More - http://news.sky.com/...-carry-handguns

I wonder if more schools will do the same ?

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 11 January 2013 - 08:48 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#2    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,746 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

And the interesting question is: Who tells them that the janitor will not develop the "disgruntled postman syndrome"?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 11 January 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

And the interesting question is: Who tells them that the janitor will not develop the "disgruntled postman syndrome"?

Yea true enough, because the second they get guns, it turns them into wannabe killers with mental disorders...They could easily go on a rampage if someone spills their juice on the play ground
What where they thinking eh?

Sorry about the sarcasm, but going by your logic, does that mean every single person who owns a gun, will develop some sort of mental / anger disorder and go nuts killing people?

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 11 January 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#4    aztek

aztek

Telekinetic

• 7,266 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

well, yea, in reality, it is not every single person who owns a gun, it is every single person. period.

Edited by aztek, 11 January 2013 - 09:12 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#5    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,416 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 11 January 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

A rural Ohio school district will arm its janitors with handguns to protect students in the wake of last month's shooting at a Connecticut elementary school.
The school board has voted unanimously to have the four custodians at the district's nursery and main school begin carrying handguns, the Toledo Blade reports.
In a message to parents on the district's website, Superintendent Jamison Grime said the school board decided to arm staff in order to "substantially enhance and strengthen our security efforts."
The janitors - all men - will buy their own guns. Teachers and others with direct supervision of students will not be armed.
School board president Larry Martin said the district began looking into arming employees six months ago.

Read More - http://news.sky.com/...-carry-handguns

I wonder if more schools will do the same ?

Gah, hopefully there will be extensive (in every aspect) checks before handing anyone in charge of a bunch of kids a gun.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#6    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,882 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

"Which one of you little b@#*(&d's puked in the cafeteria this time?!!!"

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,746 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 11 January 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

Yea true enough, because the second they get guns, it turns them into wannabe killers with mental disorders...They could easily go on a rampage if someone spills their juice on the play ground
What where they thinking eh?

Sorry about the sarcasm, but going by your logic, does that mean every single person who owns a gun, will develop some sort of mental / anger disorder and go nuts killing people?

I am not saying that, but unless I am mistaken the janitorial system in most states draws from the same pool as the US Postal Service, mostly veterans get a several point preference (making most of the jobs only available to veterans during bad economic times). And before the big school shootings it was going postal.

It may not happen but the risk factor is there.

Not a good idea to adopt this blanketly, though with an evaluation a case to case situation could be favorable.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#8    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,625 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

I find it interesting that they are willing to arm janitors, but not teachers or others with direct supervision. This my be old fashioned of me, but when I was a kid, janitors were just as much out in the student population as the other staff. And yeah, if you were making a mess in the cafeteria or there was a flooded bathroom, the janitors sure did have interactions with kids. So I'm not sure what the difference is of having armed staff that has indirect action with the kids, but not allowing arming of direct staff. It's still staff carrying guns around students.

#9    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,829 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Yes, because the person we want armed on school grounds is the person who has (literally) the s**t job, the one who is working from the moment they arrive on campus to the moment they leave, the ones who are paid a pittance.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#10    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,746 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 11 January 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

Yes, because the person we want armed on school grounds is the person who has (literally) the s**t job, the one who is working from the moment they arrive on campus to the moment they leave, the ones who are paid a pittance.

Well, after the "good" experience made by paying the cops a Sh@t during the 1920s it may be just as successful, who knows...

about me

#11    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 11 January 2013 - 09:11 PM, said:

I am not saying that, but unless I am mistaken the janitorial system in most states draws from the same pool as the US Postal Service, mostly veterans get a several point preference (making most of the jobs only available to veterans during bad economic times). And before the big school shootings it was going postal.

It may not happen but the risk factor is there.

Not a good idea to adopt this blanketly, though with an evaluation a case to case situation could be favorable.

Wouldn't veterans be a much better idea, as they would likely be already trained on how to handle weapons?   ( How to react, handle dire situations and so forth )

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 11 January 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#12    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,746 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 11 January 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

Wouldn't veterans be a much better idea, as they would likely be already trained on how to handle weapons?   ( How to react, handle dire situations and so forth )

It would, would it not be that at the lower level positions only those veterans find employment that are deemed not suitable for other positions in local and federal government, either for health or education reasons.

But one thing is for sure: They know how to handle a gun, mostly.

about me

#13    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

View Postrashore, on 11 January 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

I find it interesting that they are willing to arm janitors, but not teachers or others with direct supervision. This my be old fashioned of me, but when I was a kid, janitors were just as much out in the student population as the other staff. And yeah, if you were making a mess in the cafeteria or there was a flooded bathroom, the janitors sure did have interactions with kids. So I'm not sure what the difference is of having armed staff that has indirect action with the kids, but not allowing arming of direct staff. It's still staff carrying guns around students.

The article reads - The Buckeye Firearms Association said more than 1,000 educators across Ohio have applied for its armed teacher training programme, but it is unclear whether any other school districts have approved similar programmes.

#14    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,416 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 11 January 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

Eh, wouldn't really matter if its a vet or a janitor IMO.  As long as it is a mentally stable and capable person.

In the US we have a HUGE (and horribly sad) issue with vets who are suicidal or just sadly broken.  

IMO Training is the answer.

(Side note - Columbine had an armed deputy on sight.)

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#15    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,525 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

This just strikes me as a horrifically terrible idea.

Lets just pay janitors to do janitorial stuff.

If security is that necessary, then pay for a security guard, or a policeman.  Someone with more than 'two days' of book learnin'.

I don't think anyone wants to see our country turn back into the wild west.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users