Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is ideology like a prism?

coberst

Why is ideology like a prism?

Webster says a prism is “a medium that distorts, slants, or colors whatever is viewed through it”.

It appears to me that Marx was the first great thinker to have coined the word “ideology”. Ideology is a distinctive form of reasoning about the individual and about the individual in society. Ideology is a systematically biased mode of thinking. Ideologies vary extensively in so far as the idioms used, the extent of bias, the degree of sophistication, the manner in which bias permeates various aspects of theory, and so on.

While ideologies vary widely in certain aspects all ideologies share some common characteristics. An identifiable logical structure is shared by all. This structure includes: 1) a moral dimension, 2) it is biased toward a specific group and is biased against those out side this group, 3) an ideology cannot not directly defend it self because it rests on assumptions that have never been critically examined or even formulated, and 4) Marx believes these assumptions to be “nothing more than the intellectual ‘transcripts’ of the conditions of existence of the social group whose point of view it reflects”.

Like viewing the world through a prism, the ideologue experiences the world in a distorted manner. “What a man does not transcend in reality, he cannot effectively transcend in thought either. The limits of his existence are the limits of his thoughts. His basic assumptions are therefore ultimately nothing but his conditions of existence ‘reproduced’ in thought.”

Quotes from Marx’s Theory of Ideology Bhikhu Parekh

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Virtual Particle

• coberst

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Diffracting matter waves

Could be caused by something, that while it is innate and fundamental to our mind body connection, is shrouded by conflicting information and related to some meaning that is merely a shard

of the available information.

As I understand it, when you diffract a matter wave it splits into two and then a moment latter returns to its original state. When you pass white light through a prism it diffracts into

the different colors. Put that diffracted light through another prism and it turns back into white light.

Sounds like the matter that makes us up is going through a prism.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Triad

Diffracting matter waves

Could be caused by something, that while it is innate and fundamental to our mind body connection, is shrouded by conflicting information and related to some meaning that is merely a shard

of the available information.

As I understand it, when you diffract a matter wave it splits into two and then a moment latter returns to its original state. When you pass white light through a prism it diffracts into

the different colors. Put that diffracted light through another prism and it turns back into white light.

Sounds like the matter that makes us up is going through a prism.

Any thoughts?

Only confusion! Perhaps that was the goal!

You know coberst if Cheetah’s could talk, as they were killing there prey they would probably say something like " hey it’s nothing personal about you, its me you see, it’s my fault, I am hungry and this is the way I role."

I think it potentially very serious that we, the matter we are made of are being diffracted. I consider the idea that we are actually made of diffracted Dark Matter, but that just seems to make sense right now (no real commitments going on it just seems to fit). It takes atoms to form molecules, molecules to form cells. What is fundamental to us would be fundamental to our structure and the symbolism (some of it) it's not "software".

Any thoughts?