Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monotheism vs Polytheisim

Anirbas

I am probablly opening a can of worms here but let's see if we can do this in an adult manner.....

Just a question that was posed in my religious studies class that makes me think...is Christianity monolitic (meaning they worship one god)or polylithic (worshiping more than one god).

Think about it father son and holy ghost even if you don't count the holy ghost as a god or whatever you still go Jesus and God....think about it.

My answer is that it is Monotheistic because they are the trinity - one in the same.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shirini

• joc

• Anirbas

• Xenojjin

Top Posters In This Topic

My answer is that it is Monotheistic because they are the trinity - one in the same.

thats pretty much it . thats what it says in the bible :"their is only one god" and that the trinity is all the same god just differant parts . Do we claim to be 4 people because we have 2 hands and 2 feet ? no . No offense but your religious studies class needs to find some better things to discuss .

thats pretty much it . thats what it says in the bible :"their is only one god" and that the trinity is all the same god just differant parts . Do we claim to be 4 people because we have 2 hands and 2 feet ? no . No offense but your religious studies class needs to find some better things to discuss .

None taken it was a terrible class!

yeah, um, its like three leaves of one clover.

The Hebrew Shema declaires " Hear O Israel, The Lord Your God He is One God!" But the word it is using for one is the same as in the body is one. There are many parts of the body, but still only one body. There are many parts of God, but still one God.

No offense but your religious studies class needs to find some better things to discuss .

I would suppose that you could do a better job as a teacher of a religous studies course?

Do you ever get tired of coming across the way you do? rolleyes.gif

yeah, um, its like three leaves of one clover.

That is such a good way to put it - I never thought of it that way!

I would suppose that you could do a better job as a teacher of a religous studies course?

Do you ever get tired of coming across the way you do?

Do you ever get tired of flaming others for simply stating their opinions ?

Do you ever get tired of flaming others for simply stating their opinions ?

Hmmm, let me give that some thought....

Somehow with you, I don't. Just you though...

For some reason I have a pet peeve with the "know-it-all" types (maybe it is more the pompousness, I am not sure) which is the feeling I get from many of your posts.

Of course that is just my opinion; one of my many shortcomings is to be snippy towards know-it-alls...

I guess I will have to work on that and stop flaming you. My bad.

odly I kind of get the same know it all vibe from you , but I doubt you think you know it all either . I definatly don't think I know it all , we probobly ended up thinking each other know it all since were on opposite ends of debates all the time ... I guess its best not to assume something like that . wink2.gif

Ok! OK! Ummm. Let's just step back and breath for a bit ok Xeno, Fluff?

Yeah ,you are right CW...Off to my corner...

stretch.gifstretch.gifstretch.gifstretch.gifstretch.gifalien.gif*meditates*alien.gifstretch.gifstretch.gifstretch.gifstretch.gifstretch.gif

reaaaaality is an illlllluuuusiiioooon mannnnnnn

original.gif ... possesion is a figmentation of the cosmos maaaaaannnnnn....

uppydown.gifuppydown.gif.....oh ya man....uppydown.gifuppydown.gif

...do not all things belong to the......

*SLAPS SELF WITH VERY LARGE OBJECT*

ok I'm done ... whistling2.gif

Thank-you both of you. Now that we've had our cooldown time, let's play nicely. grin2.gif

Would you all just cool it?! I don't want my post locked - did you miss the part where I asked that it be discussed in an ADULT manner? If you can't do that do me a favor and don't post again cause even though I don't want to I will ask that it be locked. disgust.gif

Don't worry Anirbas. Unless I am greatly mistaken this sudden arguement has been dropped by both of them. Guys.... how else can you explain it? We get set off quickly, but we cool down just about as quick also. grin2.gif I do not believe this thread will need to be locked yet.

There are those of you who think you know it all and then there are those of us that actually do.......

.......just kidding..... wink2.gif

What kind of a class though would pose such a question? One doesn't have to be a theologian to understand the concept of the Trinity. But for those of you who don't understand:

God created man. Man sinned. Man needed a saviour. God knew that only He could save man. God became a man. God sacrificed Himself for mans sin. When man accepts the Forgiveness offered, man enters into a unique relationship with God. God then sends His Holy Spirit to the redeemed man.

Summary:

God is the Creator.

Jesus is the Saviour.

The Holy Spirit is the administrator of

God's Redeeming Love.

This is known as The Holy Trinity.

God the Father,

God the Son,

God the Holy Spirit.

Any questions? cool.gif

One question:

Isnt the devil classed as a god? much in the same way the romans had gods of war and death? If so, then that would make two gods, one good and one bad*struggles NOT to say Yin and Yang*

(I dont know, but just a question)

Isnt the devil classed as a god? much in the same way the romans had gods of war and death? If so, then that would make two gods, one good and one bad*struggles NOT to say Yin and Yang*

(I dont know, but just a question)

No. The devil, also known as Satan, was originally known as Lucifer. He was the most powerful of all the angels. His ego became so big that he thought that he should be God. He convinced a host of God's angels to follow him. War in Heaven ensued and Lucifer (now Satan or 'advisary') and his angels were cast into Hell.

When God created man he allowed Satan to tempt man. Man sinned. Etc. original.gif

Glad you asked. wink2.gif

When God created man he allowed Satan to tempt man. Man sinned.

Can you tell me why? that just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I don’t about other polytheistic religions, but the one I was raised with, Zoroastrianism, one the fundamental philosophy is that there must a balance in dualism. One can’t not exit with out the other, even thought we have a pantheon of gods , goddess, abstract spirits and what have you, they are all fraction one spirit.

So would that mean there really is no such thing as a monotheistic or a polytheistic religion, since we have to compare one philosophy with the other?