Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Mystery of Ned Kelly's missing head 'solved'

ned kelly head anna hoffman

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,427 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:46 AM

View PostSwede, on 28 August 2012 - 11:55 PM, said:

For a more qualified discussion of the topic, the following article from the current AIA publication may of interest. Certain positions expressed in the "Telegraph" article may be questionable (!).

http://www.archaeolo...ourne_gaol.html

Thanks for the link, very interesting.

"You see, the pride of the Kelly's Ned, my son, my son
Ride like a Kelly with your head held high..." - Rolf Harris

Edited by Likely Guy, 29 August 2012 - 03:52 AM.

#17    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

I bet we will find his head on an online auction site one of these days.

#18    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,211 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

Maybe it was just one of those times you had to be there.

Apparently, the skull the self proclaimed witch is touting has wires attached to it.

Not Ned's head.

#19    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,374 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

View PostAntilles, on 29 August 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

Apparently, the skull the self proclaimed witch is touting has wires attached to it.

So does Jagger's!  lol

(Only jokin)

#20    andy hair candy

andy hair candy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

• slowly slipping away...

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

to steve bronfman...

ughhh, he tried to liberate the irish (lower class in australia at the time) and he did give money to the poor, not in the way robin hood did but robin hood is a fictional being. ..... also, to the person who said they are an aussie film buff.... should check out Bad Boy Bubby and Bootmen. they are bloody wonderfull films. cheers

#21    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostSteveBronfman, on 29 August 2012 - 02:07 AM, said:

Guy was a criminal murdering robber, I'm not sure why he's so idolised by the Aussie media. It's not like he was a Robin Hood figure who gave to the poor either.

The media does idolise him a bit and I agree he's given too much credit for a murderer but he did help a lot of townspeople. Like I said in my other post, his gang would rob the British after they had taken taxes from towns and return it to the people, in return for food/water and services.

And to be honest most countries 'heroes' have shady parts to their history, but are remembered for their good ones. :tu:

Edit: I Didn't see 'andy hair candy' posted same thing.

Edited by DKO, 29 August 2012 - 01:57 PM.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#22    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,486 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

View PostDKO, on 29 August 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

The media does idolise him a bit and I agree he's given too much credit for a murderer but he did help a lot of townspeople. Like I said in my other post, his gang would rob the British after they had taken taxes from towns and return it to the people, in return for food/water and services.

And to be honest most countries 'heroes' have shady parts to their history, but are remembered for their good ones. :tu:

Edit: I Didn't see 'andy hair candy' posted same thing.

Yes, we have Billy the Kid and The James boys (Frank and Jesse).. .Billy was a cold blooded killer with no sense of remorse, and Jesse wasn't much better (Frank actually reformed while in prison)... I don't know why these guys are 'romantic heroes' to some...

#23    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• 1,336 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:36 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 27 August 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

Now Anna Hoffman, a 74-year-old New Zealander, says she was given the skull 30 years ago while on holiday in Melbourne, by a security guard who told her it was "Ned's head".

"Candy is dandy but likker is quicker."

Heads, I'm not so sure about.

#24    tipotep

tipotep

Psychic Spy

• 1,093 posts

• Muchos Spectacular

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:56 AM

View Postandy hair candy, on 29 August 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

to steve bronfman...

ughhh, he tried to liberate the irish (lower class in australia at the time) and he did give money to the poor, not in the way robin hood did but robin hood is a fictional being. ..... also, to the person who said they are an aussie film buff.... should check out Bad Boy Bubby and Bootmen. they are bloody wonderfull films. cheers

Bad Boy Bubby is noit a movie a would reccomend to anyone unless you wish to be scared for life !

On Topic -

I am a local to Ned Kelly's area ( his hangout is like 45 mins from where I live ) .

I can almost guarantee its NOT Neds head ...
Do you honestly believe that a security guard would have access to his remains ? Not likely .
Do you think that if he had access to the skull  he would just give it away to some random Kiwi tourist ? Not likely .

As mentioned before the skull in question had had wire in it at some stage , making it more likely it was used in medical training or something on those lines .

Tip.

Archaeology is the search for fact... not truth. - Indiana Jones .

** Lannisters like to keep it in the family **

#25    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,427 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:21 AM

Apparently they chopped Ned's head off to make a 'death mask'. Which, incidentally you don't have to do to make a death mask. But, nevertheless, Ned's head was detached from his body.

After they (apparently medical students) boiled the flesh from his skull in 1880, his skull had been on display from 'who knows when' until about 1978 at the old 'gaol', when Mr. Kelly's noggin' went missing. Which was also about the time that she acquired it.

I think that the security guard that passed it along to her, passed away in the last year or so.

Tipotep wrote; "Do you honestly believe that a security guard would have access to his remains ? Not likely .
Do you think that if he had access to the skull  he would just give it away to some random Kiwi tourist ? Not likely "

Remember, that this was about 1978. 'Security' in those days was just a guy in a uniform, maybe. That was it.

As far as some 'random Kiwi tourist'. She said that she told the guy, at a party probably, that she collected skulls. She neglected to mention that her collection was mostly animal. Apparently he showed up a day or so later with Ned's head.

The security guard was just 'trying to get some'.

We'll see when the DNA's done though! I hope that this becomes a case of an 'explained mystery' but, we'll see.

#26    tipotep

tipotep

Psychic Spy

• 1,093 posts

• Muchos Spectacular

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:54 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 30 August 2012 - 02:21 AM, said:

Apparently they chopped Ned's head off to make a 'death mask'. Which, incidentally you don't have to do to make a death mask. But, nevertheless, Ned's head was detached from his body.

After they (apparently medical students) boiled the flesh from his skull in 1880, his skull had been on display from 'who knows when' until about 1978 at the old 'gaol', when Mr. Kelly's noggin' went missing. Which was also about the time that she acquired it.

I think that the security guard that passed it along to her, passed away in the last year or so.

Tipotep wrote; "Do you honestly believe that a security guard would have access to his remains ? Not likely .
Do you think that if he had access to the skull  he would just give it away to some random Kiwi tourist ? Not likely "

Remember, that this was about 1978. 'Security' in those days was just a guy in a uniform, maybe. That was it.

As far as some 'random Kiwi tourist'. She said that she told the guy, at a party probably, that she collected skulls. She neglected to mention that her collection was mostly animal. Apparently he showed up a day or so later with Ned's head.

The security guard was just 'trying to get some'.

We'll see when the DNA's done though! I hope that this becomes a case of an 'explained mystery' but, we'll see.

My guess its not but I have been corrected in the past !

Im not so sure on the bit about him handing over the skull because he wanted some :)

DNA will answer it for us .

Tip

Archaeology is the search for fact... not truth. - Indiana Jones .

** Lannisters like to keep it in the family **

#27    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

View PostEldorado, on 28 August 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

Thought the movie was duff, to be honest.  (ham-acting)

On the plus side, if he had lips like Jagger that skull should be easy to spot.  (Only joking, Mick)

But that's the only kind of acting Mick does .
To his credit,Ned Kelly was his first movie.
He's done maybe ten full movies . Last thing he did was The Bank Job,and all it was ,was a walk on cameo ,that you would miss,if you blinked .
Ever see Free Jack ?,The utter camp of his performance ,was hysterical .Also his performance in Performance,of Memo From Turner,was literally the first music video ,years before MTV.
Love Mick

Check him out as Greta . And this scene Is in a gay bistro ,in the 1930s ,just so everyone knows.

Miss me?

#28    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,486 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

View Posttipotep, on 30 August 2012 - 05:54 AM, said:

Im not so sure on the bit about him handing over the skull because he wanted some :)

Tip

Oh I don't know... Maybe he couldn't get his hands on some roses - or a box of chocolate... Maybe a skull worked...

After all she DID keep the skull....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users