Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

The Vikings (TV series)

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#1    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

Did anyone else watch the first episode of the history channel's new TV series, "the vikings"? And if so, what did you guys think of it. :)

#2    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 1,604 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 04 March 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

Did anyone else watch the first episode of the history channel's new TV series, "the vikings"? And if so, what did you guys think of it. :)

Hell i forgot about it,Is it good?I will have to catch it next time it is on.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#3    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,571 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

Hell i forgot about it,Is it good?I will have to catch it next time it is on.

It was worth watching imho, starts a bit slow but seems to be building towards a good series to come.

#4    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,759 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

Pretty good show... high marks for accuracy in period costumes, weapons/tactics and 'background'...  a bit like a soap opera towards the end of the episode...  so far so good...

Thank god (or Odin) they are not wearing horns on their helmets...

#5    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,124 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

I watched and quite enjoyed it. Glad there are others who feel the same.

Did anyone else catch that a single hour episode about pagans followed on the heels of two hours of Christianity? :w00t:

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#6    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

It was a good pilot. Here's hoping it will be as good as the Hatfields and McCoys series that I just finished watching.

#7    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,516 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:33 AM

It looks like a good historical series that won't rely on caricatures and stereotypes. It's nice to see Viking helmets without wings. I think that stems from Victorian affectations, like so many other things. Next week's forays into the British Isles should be fascinating. The Vikings had a huge impact on many aspects of the British Isles, especially in the start of vital port cities. Fortunately, Alfred the Great and Brian Boru kept them from changing the whole society of their countries. Thanks to those great warriors, they went from conquerors to assimilated citizens, some of whom were gallowglass. All in all, these shows look to be more realistic than the regular, usual fare.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#8    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,516 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:35 AM

View PostLady Kasey, on 04 March 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

I watched and quite enjoyed it. Glad there are others who feel the same.

Did anyone else catch that a single hour episode about pagans followed on the heels of two hours of Christianity? :w00t:

Let's not forget Judaism. It has something to say about Moses. ;)

#9    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

Oh man, I missed the Vikings and The Bible..some entertaining and educational television worth watching. The Vikings proved not only as perceived destroyers of  civilization, they contributed to remolding civilization of Northern Europe and elsewhere the Vikings traveled to in their quest for newly obtained wealth of their conquests. Of a  region of France, Normandy are named after one group of Vikings, the Normans or "Norsemen" where some of the cultural legacy of Norman forebears can still be felt.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#10    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,642 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:07 AM

The show was so cool, I love history, especially since my Grandson the drummer is so into the vinking music, was hoping they picked his song,In The Name Of Winter`s Wrath.

Edited by docyabut2, 05 March 2013 - 05:24 AM.

#11    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:57 AM

The shows pretty neat.

#12    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for asking the question; reminded me that existed and I wanted to watch it. The commercials for it sucked me in before it started. :P

#13    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,516 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:06 AM

View PostMike D boy, on 05 March 2013 - 04:46 AM, said:

Oh man, I missed the Vikings and The Bible..some entertaining and educational television worth watching. The Vikings proved not only as perceived destroyers of  civilization, they contributed to remolding civilization of Northern Europe and elsewhere the Vikings traveled to in their quest for newly obtained wealth of their conquests. Of a  region of France, Normandy are named after one group of Vikings, the Normans or "Norsemen" where some of the cultural legacy of Norman forebears can still be felt.

The Normans changed the cultures of all four countries in the British Isles after William arrived. Some of them were oppressive war criminals, as the Harrying of the North showed. Some of them became Irish and Scottish heroes full of love for their new countries. It was ironic that their descendants were such enemies.

#14    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Watching the pilot as we speak.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#15    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,571 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

Watching the pilot as we speak.

dont you mean as we type? :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users