Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Power that Prayer does not Have

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,745 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:55 AM

If you think about it, God being benevolent, all knowing and all seeing. What is the point of prayer anyway? Someone said earlier it is to ask for an answer. How would a praye change that if you have conceptualised whatever it is in your mind and God would then know making prayer unecessary.

#62    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 07 October 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

God wants to make sure you haven't fallen asleep during prayer, so you finish by saying Amen... lol  - just kidding

I have fallen asleep during prayer, many times..Sometimes shake myself and wind up saying - where was I ?  Then I start again ...sometimes it ends with me just sleeping !!

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#63    Etu Malku

Etu Malku

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

• Mercuræn

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 07 October 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

Amen - God wants to make sure you haven't fallen asleep during prayer, so you finish by saying Amen... lol  - just kidding

:)
The root of Amen, means "what is hidden," "what is not seen," "what cannot be seen," and the like, and this fact is proved by scores of examples in hymns to Amen, it has been stated that these expressions refer to the "hiding," i.e., "setting" of the sun each evening, and that they are only to be understood in a physical sense, and to mean nothing more than the disappearance of the god Amen from the sight of men at the close of day.

Read More Here

Tarkhem Productions
   IAMTHATIAMNOT

#64    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,512 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

I think there was also a god named Amen at one time or another...

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#65    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,512 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 08 October 2012 - 01:55 AM, said:

If you think about it, God being benevolent, all knowing and all seeing. What is the point of prayer anyway? Someone said earlier it is to ask for an answer. How would a prayer change that if you have conceptualized whatever it is in your mind and God would then know making prayer unnecessary.

Prayer brings us closer to God in our minds and understanding. We ask for things. But we see how are desires are lining up with his will and purpose for us. We recognize what is truly important, learn to trust him, learn to see that yes indeed, he does have it all figured out for us. This I think is the intention at least...

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#66    Etu Malku

Etu Malku

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

• Mercuræn

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 08 October 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

That's who I am talking about . . . the Egyptian Amon :w00t:

Tarkhem Productions
   IAMTHATIAMNOT

#67    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,512 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

perhaps...

#68    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,193 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

View PostAlienated Being, on 07 October 2012 - 04:48 AM, said:

Go and do some research on the study. I am not going to spoon feed the details to you.

LOL just remember that response when you next ask me to prove my pov through a biblography. If YOU use a survey or experiment result to validate your opinions, then YOU need to be aware of; the persons conducting it, its purposes, parameters,and the strengths and flaws in that measurement tool.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#69    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

1st, the Torah could be wrong
2nd, there is no proof that God can't change his decision

Problem resolved.

#70    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 08 October 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

Ohhhhhh that is funny.. There is nothing like calling out another gods name when praying to your god lol :P

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#71    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 2,752 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 06 October 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

I do not follow nor holds beliefs in any man made religion... I view God differently.... Each to their own

Hi Becky, would you please show me that the way you see God is not a man-made method to see God? Thank you.

Ben

#72    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 2,752 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

View PostEtu Malku, on 06 October 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

Oh, I didn't mean to imply prayers were just bizarre incantations or something.

Vocalizing the prayer or what the Egyptians called Affirmations, was a part of most ancient religions, they were almost always accompanied by music if only by a drum beat.

Being that you are located in Israel I assume you are Jewish?

The number of musicians engaged in the temple during the time of King David; "and four thousand praised the Lord with instruments which I made, said David, to praise therewith" (1 Chron. xxiii. 5).

King Solomon himself was a musical composer!

And you have assumed right. Yes, I am Jewish. I am aware of the choir in the Temple at the time of David and Solomon. They were most of them made out of singiers. A choir, that is. Only a few were misicians.

Ben

#73    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 2,752 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 08 October 2012 - 01:55 AM, said:

If you think about it, God being benevolent, all knowing and all seeing. What is the point of prayer anyway? Someone said earlier it is to ask for an answer. How would a praye change that if you have conceptualised whatever it is in your mind and God would then know making prayer unecessary.

Prayer, per se, is not unnecessary. It is good to pray; as long as one prays without a mind to affect God with. Praying and singing for the glory of God is very salutary. It makes one feel good and, that's the purpose of praying.

Ben

#74    Viviana98

Viviana98

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:17 AM

View PostDr. D, on 25 September 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

"I knew I was God when I was praying and suddenly realized that I was talking to myself."

Oh my god Dr. D you have me dying laughing with this one!! You get a cookie for this post!!!!

#75    Viviana98

Viviana98

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

If God is all knowing then there should be no need for prayer because he should already know what we want and/or need. So praying is a basically a waste of time unless you like talking to yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users