Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Why?

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#121    Jor-el

Jor-el

Knight of the Most High God

• 7,732 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

View PostJGirl, on 29 December 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

i can't believe the number of people who fall for this crap.
government suck a lot of times, but to accuse them of these atrocities is baseless and ridiculous

There are conspiracies and there are CONSPIRACIES... 99% of them are BS, but keep and eye out for that elusive 1%.

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

#122    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,004 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

View PostJor-el, on 29 December 2012 - 10:37 PM, said:

There are conspiracies and there are CONSPIRACIES... 99% of them are BS, but keep and eye out for that elusive 1%.
there are enough nut cases out there worrying about it for me.
i'll just use my time doing real stuff thanks

#123    blind pew

blind pew

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 29 December 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

Thanks for the insight into who you are, I'll keep it in mind in the future :tu:

~ Regards,
Then I shall quote another person "It has served us well, this myth of Christ." Pope Leo X.
Take that.

Edited by blind pew, 30 December 2012 - 03:04 AM.

#124    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,209 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:20 AM

View Postblind pew, on 30 December 2012 - 03:03 AM, said:

Then I shall quote another person "It has served us well, this myth of Christ." Pope Leo X.
Take that.

Oh that might stir up a bit. The pope that admited the church was a fraud and religion or christianity was a scam. That pope....

Sorry wrong pope

seems LEo was gay

Edited by The Silver Thong, 30 December 2012 - 03:24 AM.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#125    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,696 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:48 AM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 30 December 2012 - 03:20 AM, said:

Oh that might stir up a bit. The pope that admited the church was a fraud and religion or christianity was a scam. That pope....

Sorry wrong pope

seems LEo was gay

Runs in the...er...family...

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#126    Jor-el

Jor-el

• 7,732 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Take that.

Any evidence that he actually said such a thing?

Yeah, the quote is well known, it is also well known that it might very well be a forgery (as in thinking it is from a historical source), started by protestants. Not that he was very holy mind you. He was not even a christian...

This "myth" quote actually comes from the English playwright John Bale in his satirical work:"The Pageant of Popes"

Leo the tenth was a Florentine borne, of the noble house of Medicea, and called ere he were Pope John Medices. He being Deacon and Cardinal of Saint Maries, contrarie to all hope was chosen to succede Julius. He beinge diligetly from his youth trained up in learning under learned schoolmaisters, and especially one Angelus Politianus, did afterward greatly favour learned men. When he was but. xiv. yeres olde he was made cardinall by Innocentius the. viii. and at the yeres of xxxviii. he obtained the papacie. This Leo was of his owne nature a gentil and quiet person:but often times ruled by those that were cruell and contencious men, whom he suffered to do in many matters according to their insolent wil. He addicting himselfe to nicenesse, and takinge ease did pamper his fleshe in diverse vanities and carnal pleasures: At banqueting he delighted greatly in wine and musike: but had no care of preaching the Gospell, nay was rather a cruell persecutour of those that began then, as Luther and other to reveale the light thereof: for on a time when a cardinall Bembus did move a question out of the Gospell, the Pope gave him a very contemptuouse aunswere saiying: All ages can testifie enough howe profitable that fable of Christe hath ben to us and our companie: Sleidan faith he sente letters and bulles of pardons into all nations for suche as woulde give money for them, the effectes of his pardons were diverse, some especially to sell licence to eate butter, chese, egges, milke, and fleshe upon forbidden dates, and for this purpose he sent divers treasurers into al coutreis, and namelye one Samson a monke of Millaine into Germany, who by these pardons gathered out of sundrie places such hewge sommes of money that the worlde wondered at it, for he offered in one day to geve for the Papacie above an hundred and twentie thousand duckates.

Bale wrote many bitter and satirical denunciations of the Catholic Church, many in the form of plays.

Edited by Jor-el, 30 December 2012 - 02:09 PM.

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

#127    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

View PostJor-el, on 30 December 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

Any evidence that he actually said such a thing?

Only the written word recorded by someone else...hey, sounds a lot like all holy books.

Faith over Evidence I suppose, you take what you want from it and choose to believe it.

I wouldn't put it past old Leo, nor many of the older popes and religious officials, they knew how to extract power from the gullible in the past and humans love power.

Edited by Sean93, 30 December 2012 - 05:08 PM.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#128    blind pew

blind pew

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 30 December 2012 - 03:20 AM, said:

Sorry wrong pope

seems LEo was gay

And whatever gay people say is wrong?

#129    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,130 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 29 December 2012 - 08:18 PM, said:

Oh crap I just edited to ad that bit.
Apparently even the Queen mother would turn into a giant reptilian, sexually abuse people, kill them and eat them.

http://www.bibliotec.../reptiles06.htm

#130    Jor-el

Jor-el

• 7,732 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

View PostSean93, on 30 December 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

Only the written word recorded by someone else...hey, sounds a lot like all holy books.

Faith over Evidence I suppose, you take what you want from it and choose to believe it.

I wouldn't put it past old Leo, nor many of the older popes and religious officials, they knew how to extract power from the gullible in the past and humans love power.

There is no written record of he ever having said any such thing, that is the problem, it is essentially taking words from a play and making them sound historical... I think that is a little different from what you are stating.

Let me repeat, we are talking of a "play". Not one word of this has ever been found anywhere else. I don't defend those people, who called themselves Popes but were merely consumate politicians, wheelers and dealers to the last, but I do uphold a standard where we can't put words in their mouths just because they were corrupt in everything they did.

Edited by Jor-el, 30 December 2012 - 09:35 PM.

Posted Image

-C. S. Lewis

#131    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,790 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Take that.
As others have said this quote is from a work of fiction. And with that clarified I wish you all the best for the coming New Year :)

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#132    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

View Postblind pew, on 25 December 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

Why would anybody worship a god that allows children to be molested and killed? If you want my worship you need to give something in return.

Your question sounds like it is in reference to christianity and similar monotheistic belief systems and I has a similar pondering eh
A couple decades ago in my Saturn return years and I got an answer from a very wise teacher that helps me sometimes (not all the time because I am still a student, I don't know everything and don't presume too) I'll paraphrase it for you.

If you have a moment, I'd like to talk to you about Jesus Christ..no, no, I'm just kidding...lol

I was told that our collective consciences is "god" that our collective conscience god allows certain acts too occur because  we agree to have it happen for reasons that go deeper than our individual consciences can fathom but function on a "for the highest god of all" and a karma type of deal.

For instance, let's use Jeff Dahmer as an example, what he did was absolutely heinous, disgusting, vile, evil and just wrong, no doing about it.  My teacher would explain that, this act was agreed upon at some point by all of us.  Each act of vile murder was a pebble thrown into our pond and the ripples set off different reactions/effects for every soul involved.

With me so far?

One of his victims was a young gay man that grew up teased by family and bullied by school mates, he had very poor self esteem, his family was dysfunctional half alcoholics the purge half drug addicts, as our young victim was.

When dahmer was caught and it was discovered this young man was a victim his family went nuts.  They did that whole, "he's was loved by everyone who meet him" & "he was such a loving person"  spiel in the beginning and using their tragedy as an excuse to do more drugs and alcohol but when life progressed and the spinning slowed down, they came together.  They realized how messed up they were and went on to correct their lives and lived happily ever after!

Well, not really but the gist is that we are all connected and each act, as innocuous as it may seem, effects everyone in some way, and the agreement to allow it to happen is for the highest good of all.  The highest good to come out of that example???  I have no idea, life is on-going, what is good for one is not necessarily good for another so, its on an individual basis.

With all that said, what the heck do I know about life???  Not much, that's why I live it moment to moment and take other peoples beliefs on life with a grain of salt...because they don't know **** for sure either..

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#133    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,696 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

Lava_Lady,
If I may...let me synthesize all of that down for you.  It is liken unto thus:   There is only one thing that exists.  That one thing is energy.  Somehow, and I don't presume to know how, and I am extremely wary of anyone who proposes that they do know how, nonetheless, somehow, this Energy manifests in an infinite number of forms, on an infinite number of levels, for an infinite number of reasons, none of which you or I are privy to.  The stars, the space between the stars, all Energy.   Some call this Energy God.  And some propose that because 'everything is God' then we are God and so I am God and you are God.
I don't buy any of that...I just call it Energy.  There is a magnetic resonance that governs the Universe...and this magnetic resonance is also Energy.  Again, Energy is the only thing that exists.  Why it manifests, how it manifests...the illusive mystery that is unknowable.  Why?  An unanswerable question...and the OPs question is irrelevant because it is based on a false premise...therefore..all resulting discussion of God and Why this or why that is an effort born of futility and boredom.   Thank you. No charge....unless you feel you need to pay for this otherwise priceless information, in which case I do have a Pay-pal account. :D

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#134    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostSean93, on 25 December 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

This is correct free will and all that however, when God gave several of his chosen people permission to kill, take land, condone rape etc. who is to blame in your opinion?

I don't know what you believe in terms of a god, although you seem to exhibit the biblical god Yahweh, although correct me if I'm wrong.

,,,in some religions, even their self-proclaimed "prophets" killed, took land, condoned rape, etc. Which takes the hypocrisy of their believers to new levels, when they claim to represent morality. Anyway, all religions represent irrational beliefs, and we should stop "respecting" them simply because they demand respect. Respect has to be earned, and most religions fail miserably in that.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#135    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,172 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostSean93, on 25 December 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

who is to blame in your opinion?

Both "god" and the people.

Thomas Paine wrote in The Age of Reason that “Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous execution, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God."
Jewish gematria # 629:
The holy bible
Demonic inspiration

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users