Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Mystery Of Oak Island

Mystify

What i'd like to know is how come no one in Canada with enough money has ever decided to dig up Oak Island Treasure????

For those of you unaware of it's existence....

http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topics/OakIsland/

Read on.... makes you want to go treasure hunting!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Homer

• Dysmorphia

• Mystify

Top Posters In This Topic

Mystify,

I first heard about the Oak Island mystery when Magikman and SaRuMaN were discussing this on the forum almost two years ago. Very interesting, and very mysterious

Here's an FAQ I found that lists some of the reasons why nobody has recently attempted to retrieve whatever is lying at the bottom of the Oak Island money pit.

Click Here To Read The Oak Island Money Pit FAQ

Here's a photograph of the money pit itself. It doesn't look as though there has been much activity there for quite some time.

user posted image

More information on Oak Island can be found at this site:

http://www.oakislandtreasure.com

The second reason on the list of reasons why there is no recent activity: "It is estimated that at least a million dollars Canadian is needed just to properly assess the situation and determine the proper course of action." I will assess the situation for only $900,000(Canadian) laugh.gif

What if there were something truly amazing at the bottom of the pit, like an alien artifact or the lost ark or something? That would be cool cool.gif

I suppose it would be like gambling $20 million on whatever might be down there. You might get something really valuable for your efforts, or you might end up finding nothing at all.

In the end it's probably that risk that has stopped anyone from investing in such a project - its a lot to spend on something with no guarantee of success.

• 2 weeks later...

Mystify,

The reason why no one has attempted to 'recover' the treasure is because the land is privately owned and has been closed to the public since 1995.

Now, however, it appears the majority owners are willing to sell, CLICK HERE FOR THE STORY. It will be interesting to see if anyone is foolish enough to risk an enormous amount of money on this 'money pit'. unsure.gif Let's just hope that it isn't done with money scammed from the gullible or uninformed.

Magikman mellow.gif

Thanks MM, I had recently read that as well..... I think that past treasure hunters of done more damage than good to the pit if you ask me. Almost like it was boobie trapped. Keeps getting harder and harder to get at! If the first attempt had been planned a little better.... maybe things would have been smoother... but then again... lack of funds and equipement played a big part.

Mind you.... someone out there must have enough cash to invest in such a mystery. There are mutli-billionnaires out there somewhere... i'm sure of it. Pocket change for them.

It would be nice to just know though who put it there. I had read something else about it possibly being a pirate... can't remeber which... shall check it out.

Just checked... and it was captain Kidd as Mentioned....

There is alot about the Captain Kidd and his famous parched paper trails..... very intresting....

The only thing that has to be said is that whoever built the money pit in the first place went to an awful lot of bother for an elaborate joke, if it is one.

For instance when the diggers got to a certain level, tunnels that led to the sea on one side of the island, began to flood the pit and made digging further down impossible.

It is possible that whoever went to the trouble of digging it in the first place put something down there that has either rotted away or has been stolen/recovered, or it could have been built in the hopes of hiding something but the builders never got around to using it, kind of like Khefre's pyramid.

The only thing that has to be said is that whoever built the money pit in the first place went to an awful lot of bother for an elaborate joke, if it is one.

I tend to think its more a case of a misinterpetation of a common sinkhole than an elaborate joke. There's alot of information provided in this link that helps explain the history of the 'Oak Island' mystery. It might help you understand why no one is really willing to sink anymore money into such an unlikely project.

CLICK HERE

Magikman

In summary, therefore, I suggest first that the "Money Pit" and "pirate tunnels" are nothing of the sort but are instead natural formations.

A very interesting read, certainly brought to light facts and theories that I hadn't heard before regarding the "Money Pit". I'm not totally convinced that it is nothing more than a sinkhole, there are so many elements to it that it seems that there must have been some sort of human intervention. Perhaps those responsible originally modified an existing Sink hole to hide something, rather than digging the whole shaft themselves.

I can understand why nobody would want to invest in a project to find out what's down there, but I think a lot of people are still dying to know. Until someone reaches the bottom and finds nothing at all, then we will not know for sure whether or not the Money Pit is really a Money Pit, and not just a hole in the ground.

• 1 month later...

Me and a friend thought of going to a lot of places on some sort of adventure, Oak Island was one of those places. Anyone wanna go with us?? We will also hit up Point Pleasant, WV. the Bermuda Triangle, and many many others.

Dysmorphia,

Oak Island is closed to the public right now, there isn't much you would beable to see. tongue.gif

Dysmorphia,

Where are you from and when are you going?

How much spending money do we get?

Seriously though, aren't you afraid to go near the

Bermuda Triangle? unsure.gif

Oh there's a great place in Florida with a really

cool castle, you might want to stop there on the

way to West Virginia. smile.gif

Dysmorphia,

Don't forget to add Loch Ness to the list.

rolleyes.gif

So many places to go, so little time left (9 years),

so many things to know, it is unbeliveable how many things we have yet to find out about these mysteries of the mind, space, and time.

It's great because we will never find out the truth until we die.

I know i'm not making much sense, but you guys can figure me out right?

They are always on my mind, these things.

I really do want to travel and find out more about them with my own experiences, but it isn't possible.

There is satisfaction in settiling for less, the deliberation over teaspoons.

Darkened windows make mirrors at midday reflection fragmented calves and curb a language in glass understood in parts: arms, thighs, stomach.

Not as lean as need, not as long as desire.

It's the background I don't notice; automatic doors open to let me in, close to keep me out. The absence between the seals. The coming together, the pulling apart.

I was reading a book today about mystic places.

A guy went through the bermuda triangle and survived.

He was on his way when it seemed like he was sucked into a time warp because he got to his destination an hour earlier than he would have normally.

I was reading a book today about mystic places.

A guy went through the bermuda triangle and survived.

Actually there are thousands of people who have gone through the Bermuda Triangle and survived. I'm one of them, and never experienced a time warp. At least, none significant to notice huh.gif