Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Americans Won't Give Up Civil Liberties

OverSword

TIME/CNN Poll Shows Increasing Number Of Americans Won't Give Up Civil Liberties To Fight Terrorism

From the article:

When discussing NYPD Police Chief Ray Kelly's assertion that "privacy is off the table" as a result of the Boston bombing, I mentioned I hadn't heard any public outcry demanding the government and law enforcement step in and do something (i.e., curtail civil liberties) in response to the tragedy. The responses we were seeing seemed to be nothing more than legislators and law enforcement officials pushing their own agendas.

This isn't just me not hearing what I don't want to hear. There's actual data available that explains the lack of concerned noises from Americans. A CNN/TIME poll shows that nearly two-thirds of Americans aren't interested in sacrificing rights to combat terrorism.

When given a choice, 61 percent of Americans say they are more concerned about the government enacting new anti-terrorism policies that restrict civil liberties, compared to 31 percent who say they are more concerned about the government failing to enact strong new anti-terrorism policies.

This is a vast improvement over 1996, when a post-Atlanta Olympics bombing poll showed only 23% opposed giving up freedom in exchange for fighting terrorism.

http://www.blacklistednews.com/TIMECNN_Poll_Shows_Increasing_Number_Of_Americans_Won%27t_Give_Up_Civil_Liberties_To_Fight_Terrorism_/25812/0/38/38/Y/M.html

Although I'm glad to see this, I'm very disapointed that it's only 61%. It should be 99.9%. How worried are you when you go out in public that you will be blown up by a terrorist?

• Like 7

TIME/CNN Poll Shows Increasing Number Of Americans Won't Give Up Civil Liberties To Fight Terrorism

Although I'm glad to see this, I'm very disapointed that it's only 61%. It should be 99.9%. How worried are you when you go out in public that you will be blown up by a terrorist?

Not at all.

• Like 6

And, if Americans are not relinquishing civil liberties for terrorism they either did not understand the question or they are hiding it quite well. Any airport tells you a different story.

• Like 1

Confession time. Last Friday I went out for dinner. When I reached the main street in my nieghborhood I noticed a large unattended black duffle bag sitting against the corner of the starbucks. I thought that was a little suspicious and worrisome but continued to walk to the teryaki joint up the block. about 30 or 40 minutes later, walking back, I look again and the black bag is still there unattended. At this point I'm thinking 'OK, this is likely some street persons clothes, but if it blows up and I did nothing and people die, I just might feel a little bad abut that' so I proceed to call the police and report the bag, and then continue on my way home. My point is that no, I guess I'm not totaly unworried about beng blown up by a random bomb, however my calling it in does nothing to stifle anyones freedom. This is an acceptable level of caution IMO. Much beyond this would be unacceptable.

Now on a sidenote, after getting home and playing my guitar for a while (1/2 hour 45 minutes or so) I'm wondering what's up. So to satisfy my curiosity I go outside and walk up the street until I can see that corner. There were no police anywhere in sight and the black duffle bag is still sitting there unnatended people walking by paying no attention.

• Like 7

I just got done going through several large airports. Taking my shoes off, having my body and carry-on scrutinized did not bother me. And I have nothing to hide but I do take offense to the government going through emails without a warrant. IRS or otherwise. That is illegal search as far as I am concerned. If they can't do it with your home or physical mail they should not do it with electronic mail. If they have serious, valid concerns then getting a legal warrant should not be a problem. And that google story of new technology that scrutinizes what you type is just as bad. Do no evil? Yeah, OK.

• Like 4

once i saw a manhole cover so hot that rain drops sizzled as fell, the manhole belonged to con edison. i called can edison, told them the cover is way too hot. they said you need to call 911, never mind it was their cover, their manhole, i reported potential fire, or damage to their equipment, instead of saying "ok will check it out" they didn't even wanna know where it was, they just wanted me to call 911.

• Like 1

While I'm glad to see the number increasing, it's ridiculous to see this number isn't higher. Is the Government really making people think that by stripping our privacy they are going to abolish terrorism? There's a simple fact people need to get used to, people are going to hurt people. There are just sick people out there who get their jollies off by hurting and making others miserable.

I just don't get how people think that giving up civil rights will make them safer. It seems to me that anyone with even a little intelligence would see it's just the opposite. But I guess people think they are safer in NY since the mayor decided to tell citizens how much soda they can have as well.

• Like 5

But I guess people think they are safer in NY since the mayor decided to tell citizens how much soda they can have as well.

they do?? i live in nyc, don't know anyone that thinks like that. do you?

• Like 1

Didn't that get repealed? How could a mayor even tell everyone what size soda they can drink?

• Like 3

I was being sarcastic bud, just pointing out how ridiculous it is. I would be p***ed.

• Like 3

Didn't that get repealed? How could a mayor even tell everyone what size soda they can drink?

it was, but he still did planty of dumb things , like taking 1 line away from cars and turned into bike lines, no one just jumped on bikes cuz he build laines, but now we got as many cars as before, and less roads, basicly, you can imagine what it did to nyc's trafic, it is a effing disaster.

not to mention shortly after he waned to introduce "congestion fee" for anyone driving into the city. iirc $8

Edited by aztek

Confession time. Last Friday I went out for dinner. When I reached the main street in my nieghborhood I noticed a large unattended black duffle bag sitting against the corner of the starbucks. I thought that was a little suspicious and worrisome but continued to walk to the teryaki joint up the block. about 30 or 40 minutes later, walking back, I look again and the black bag is still there unattended. At this point I'm thinking 'OK, this is likely some street persons clothes, but if it blows up and I did nothing and people die, I just might feel a little bad abut that' so I proceed to call the police and report the bag, and then continue on my way home. My point is that no, I guess I'm not totaly unworried about beng blown up by a random bomb, however my calling it in does nothing to stifle anyones freedom. This is an acceptable level of caution IMO. Much beyond this would be unacceptable.

Now on a sidenote, after getting home and playing my guitar for a while (1/2 hour 45 minutes or so) I'm wondering what's up. So to satisfy my curiosity I go outside and walk up the street until I can see that corner. There were no police anywhere in sight and the black duffle bag is still sitting there unnatended people walking by paying no attention.

That's odd. Things like that should be called in (on a non emergency number if one is available in your area). You don't know what could be in the bag , and really it shouldn't be just sitting out there like that. Who knows what it was . I wouldn't just be concerned if it were one thing , it could of been a number of things. They should of investigated it .

• Like 1

That Mayor is not a very good person. Don't forget the position he took when the storm hit N.Y, he was all about the money , not caring about the people that had no water , electric, food and shelter. I'm a New Yorker but I have moved , out from under that state's laws and taxes.

A little clip of him stating that "in his geniusness" he believes that we don't understand how to interpret the constitution. HA!

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx9BQo4GOrU[/media]

Edited by Reann
  • Like 3

<snip>

How was "giving up civil liberties" defined if it was at all during the poll?

A Post/CBS poll revealed 88% support background checks at gun shows while 55% support armed guards at school.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/polling/postabc-poll-broad-support-gun-restrictions/2013/04/12/c8f74d38-5e95-11e2-8acb-ab5cb77e95c8_page.html

A Pew research poll revealed 85% favor background checks at gun shows and private sales while 64% favor armed guards at school.

http://www.people-press.org/2013/01/14/in-gun-control-debate-several-options-draw-majority-support/

I suppose the poll results are a good sign, but really, did the government ask the people before they passed the Unpatriot Act? The MCA? FISA II?

No, and even if they had, it would have made no difference at all. Everybody was against TARP, but it still passed.

• Like 3

How was "giving up civil liberties" defined if it was at all during the poll?

A Post/CBS poll revealed 88% support background checks at gun shows while 55% support armed guards at school.

http://www.washingto...e95c8_page.html

A Pew research poll revealed 85% favor background checks at gun shows and private sales while 64% favor armed guards at school.

http://www.people-pr...jority-support/

You do realize these "polls" are pretty much horse **** right? Do you know how easy it is for the media to make any poll lean in their favor? Hmm, let's call 1,000 people in Detroit and ask them if them about gun control, as they hear a .45 popping every night. I bet you won't see them calling 1,000 people in rural areas in Michigan where people actually hunt / target shoot and use their guns for something other than sticking up a liquor a store and I bet your poll flips.

Has anyone ever considered who these 1,000 people called for a survey even are? The people too stupid to quit putting their phone number all over the internet, and get all these telemarketers in the first place? Yeah, I trust they are informed and intelligent enough to be one of the 1,000 asked to represent the entire country's opinion on any matter... not.

Edited by CRYSiiSx2
  • Like 4

You do realize these "polls" are pretty much horse **** right?

lmao, do you really have to ask?? he is making useless polls here.

• Like 2

That might very well be your opinion of polls but it is likely that they are more disciplined than you assume or than your very own opinion is.

You do realize these "polls" are pretty much horse **** right? Do you know how easy it is for the media to make any poll lean in their favor? Hmm, let's call 1,000 people in Detroit and ask them if them about gun control, as they hear a .45 popping every night. I bet you won't see them calling 1,000 people in rural areas in Michigan where people actually hunt / target shoot and use their guns for something other than sticking up a liquor a store and I bet your poll flips.

Has anyone ever considered who these 1,000 people called for a survey even are? The people too stupid to quit putting their phone number all over the internet, and get all these telemarketers in the first place? Yeah, I trust they are informed and intelligent enough to be one of the 1,000 asked to represent the entire country's opinion on any matter... not.

I agree. It all depends on the people you ask. I honestly think all these "polls" conducted by the MSM is nothing but bull****.

It's propaganda meant to influence the idiots out there that believe everything the Mainstream reports.

• Like 1

Masked obsenities to express yourself while calling others idiots seems rather ironic.

Just to add, I do not want armed guards in our schools, the NRA suggested that, but it does seem that public opinion is going that way, in favor of it.

Just because I disagree with public sentiment is no reason to trash the pollsters who rely on the scientific method in gathering data.

I will point out a flaw with telephone polls, millenials are less likely to have a land line. That is not a flaw that invalidates polling but something that should be noted as we play catch up with the effects of new technologies.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!

Masked obsenities to express yourself while calling others idiots seems rather ironic.

Just to add, I do not want armed guards in our schools, the NRA suggested that, but it does seem that public opinion is going that way, in favor of it.

Just because I disagree with public sentiment is no reason to trash the pollsters who rely on the scientific method in gathering data.

I will point out a flaw with telephone polls, millenials are less likely to have a land line. That is not a flaw that invalidates polling but something that should be noted as we play catch up with the effects of new technologies.

I also wanted to share a story.

My brother a few years back was employed by a company who does telephone polling. This particular time, he was calling homes and asking what the predominant language spoken in the house was, English or Spanish. He had a lady tell him "We don't believe in that Spanish", and hung up. I have a feeling these are the type of people who pick up their phone despite it showing 'unavailable', 'private', or a random 800 number.

• Like 3

Great point, many with land lines and caller ID will not pick up calls listed as random, private, or some random 800 number.

• Like 2

I also wanted to share a story.

My brother a few years back was employed by a company who does telephone polling. This particular time, he was calling homes and asking what the predominant language spoken in the house was, English or Spanish. He had a lady tell him "We don't believe in that Spanish", and hung up. I have a feeling these are the type of people who pick up their phone despite it showing 'unavailable', 'private', or a random 800 number.

I've heard many people say they like to mess with phone solicitors and pollsters so they give them the most outrageous answers possible...especially the more elderly lonely people. They are going through sort of a second childhood and they get a big kick out of it. It's the equivalent of a reverse prank call. :lol:

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

There's a difference between being unduly scared and being more aware.

9-11 changed things. American civilians suddenly became aware of the fact that death could come to them on a bright, sunny Tuesday morning.

That doesn't necessarily mean we are more scared, just more aware of the way the world has changed, and more aware of unusual things in our surroundings.

Those of us who are/were in the military, especially those of us who were stationed overseas, were already aware that danger lurks where you least expect it. We watched 30-second awareness "commercials" on Armed Forces Network (AFN) telling us to book hotel rooms above the 2nd floor but below the 8th floor because most terrorist attacks/criminal acts will take place in the first two floors, but most fire engine ladders will not go up higher than the 7th floor and other similar bits of advice.

• Like 3

From the article:

When discussing NYPD Police Chief Ray Kelly's assertion that "privacy is off the table" as a result of the Boston bombing, I mentioned I hadn't heard any public outcry demanding the government and law enforcement step in and do something (i.e., curtail civil liberties) in response to the tragedy. The responses we were seeing seemed to be nothing more than legislators and law enforcement officials pushing their own agendas.

This isn't just me not hearing what I don't want to hear. There's actual data available that explains the lack of concerned noises from Americans. A CNN/TIME poll shows that nearly two-thirds of Americans aren't interested in sacrificing rights to combat terrorism.

When given a choice, 61 percent of Americans say they are more concerned about the government enacting new anti-terrorism policies that restrict civil liberties, compared to 31 percent who say they are more concerned about the government failing to enact strong new anti-terrorism policies.

This is a vast improvement over 1996, when a post-Atlanta Olympics bombing poll showed only 23% opposed giving up freedom in exchange for fighting terrorism.

http://www.blacklist.../38/38/Y/M.html

We have got to keep pushing our government to do the bidding of The People

We The People = We The Power

I just got done going through several large airports. Taking my shoes off, having my body and carry-on scrutinized did not bother me. And I have nothing to hide but I do take offense to the government going through emails without a warrant. IRS or otherwise. That is illegal search as far as I am concerned. If they can't do it with your home or physical mail they should not do it with electronic mail. If they have serious, valid concerns then getting a legal warrant should not be a problem. And that google story of new technology that scrutinizes what you type is just as bad. Do no evil? Yeah, OK.

TSA backed off the radiation machines. I seriously doubt you went thru the worst that was being done.

• Like 2