Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Americans Won't Give Up Civil Liberties

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,091 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

TIME/CNN Poll Shows Increasing Number Of Americans Won't Give Up Civil Liberties To Fight Terrorism

From the article:

When discussing NYPD Police Chief Ray Kelly's assertion that "privacy is off the table" as a result of the Boston bombing, I mentioned I hadn't heard any public outcry demanding the government and law enforcement step in and do something (i.e., curtail civil liberties) in response to the tragedy. The responses we were seeing seemed to be nothing more than legislators and law enforcement officials pushing their own agendas.

This isn't just me not hearing what I don't want to hear. There's actual data available that explains the lack of concerned noises from Americans. A CNN/TIME poll shows that nearly two-thirds of Americans aren't interested in sacrificing rights to combat terrorism.

When given a choice, 61 percent of Americans say they are more concerned about the government enacting new anti-terrorism policies that restrict civil liberties, compared to 31 percent who say they are more concerned about the government failing to enact strong new anti-terrorism policies.

This is a vast improvement over 1996, when a post-Atlanta Olympics bombing poll showed only 23% opposed giving up freedom in exchange for fighting terrorism.

http://www.blacklist.../38/38/Y/M.html

Although I'm glad to see this, I'm very disapointed that it's only 61%.  It should be 99.9%.  How worried are you when you go out in public that you will be blown up by a terrorist?

#2    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,737 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostOverSword, on 07 May 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

TIME/CNN Poll Shows Increasing Number Of Americans Won't Give Up Civil Liberties To Fight Terrorism

Although I'm glad to see this, I'm very disapointed that it's only 61%.  It should be 99.9%.  How worried are you when you go out in public that you will be blown up by a terrorist?

Not at all.

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,317 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

And, if Americans are not relinquishing civil liberties for terrorism they either did not understand the question or they are hiding it quite well. Any airport tells you a different story.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,091 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

Confession time.  Last Friday I went out for dinner.  When I reached the main street in my nieghborhood I noticed a large unattended black duffle bag sitting against the corner of the starbucks.  I thought that was a little suspicious and worrisome but continued to walk to the teryaki joint up the block.  about 30 or 40 minutes later, walking back, I look again and the black bag is still there unattended.  At this point I'm thinking 'OK, this is likely some street persons clothes, but if it blows up and I did nothing and people die, I just might feel a little bad abut that' so I proceed to call the police and report the bag, and then continue on my way home.  My point is that no, I guess I'm not totaly unworried about beng blown up by a random bomb, however my calling it in does nothing to stifle anyones freedom.  This is an acceptable level of caution IMO.  Much beyond this would be unacceptable.
Now on a sidenote, after getting home and playing my guitar for a while (1/2 hour 45 minutes or so) I'm wondering what's up.  So to satisfy my curiosity I go outside and walk up the street until I can see that corner.  There were no police anywhere in sight and the black duffle bag is still sitting there unnatended people walking by paying no attention.

#5    Dan'O

Dan'O

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

I just got done going through several large airports. Taking my shoes off, having my body and carry-on scrutinized did not bother me. And I have nothing to hide but I do take offense to the government going through emails without a warrant. IRS or otherwise. That is illegal search as far as I am concerned. If they can't do it with your home or physical mail they should not do it with electronic mail. If they have serious, valid concerns then getting a legal warrant should not be a problem. And that google story of new technology that scrutinizes what you type is just as bad. Do no evil? Yeah, OK.

#6    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,768 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

once i saw a manhole cover so hot that rain drops sizzled as fell, the manhole belonged to con edison. i called can edison, told them the cover is way too hot. they said you need to call 911,  never mind it was their cover, their manhole, i reported potential fire, or damage to their equipment, instead of saying "ok will check it out" they didn't even wanna know where it was, they just wanted me to call 911.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#7    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

While I'm glad to see the number increasing, it's ridiculous to see this number isn't higher.  Is the Government really making people think that by stripping our privacy they are going to abolish terrorism?  There's a simple fact people need to get used to, people are going to hurt people.  There are just sick people out there who get their jollies off by hurting and making others miserable.  

I just don't get how people think that giving up civil rights will make them safer.  It seems to me that anyone with even a little intelligence would see it's just the opposite.  But I guess people think they are safer in NY since the mayor decided to tell citizens how much soda they can have as well.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#8    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,768 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

View PostCRYSiiSx2, on 07 May 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

But I guess people think they are safer in NY since the mayor decided to tell citizens how much soda they can have as well.

they do?? i live in nyc, don't know anyone that thinks like that. do you?

RESIDENT TROLL.

#9    Dan'O

Dan'O

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

View Postaztek, on 07 May 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

Didn't that get repealed? How could a mayor even tell everyone what size soda they can drink?

#10    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

View Postaztek, on 07 May 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

I was being sarcastic bud, just pointing out how ridiculous it is.  I would be p***ed.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#11    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,768 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

View PostDan, on 07 May 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

Didn't that get repealed? How could a mayor even tell everyone what size soda they can drink?
it was, but he still did planty of dumb things , like taking 1 line away from cars and turned into bike lines, no one just jumped on bikes cuz he build laines, but now we got as many cars as before, and less roads, basicly, you can imagine what it did to nyc's trafic, it is a effing disaster.
not to mention shortly after he waned to introduce "congestion fee" for anyone driving into the city. iirc $8

Edited by aztek, 07 May 2013 - 04:43 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#12    Reann

Reann

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

View PostOverSword, on 07 May 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

Confession time.  Last Friday I went out for dinner.  When I reached the main street in my nieghborhood I noticed a large unattended black duffle bag sitting against the corner of the starbucks.  I thought that was a little suspicious and worrisome but continued to walk to the teryaki joint up the block.  about 30 or 40 minutes later, walking back, I look again and the black bag is still there unattended.  At this point I'm thinking 'OK, this is likely some street persons clothes, but if it blows up and I did nothing and people die, I just might feel a little bad abut that' so I proceed to call the police and report the bag, and then continue on my way home.  My point is that no, I guess I'm not totaly unworried about beng blown up by a random bomb, however my calling it in does nothing to stifle anyones freedom.  This is an acceptable level of caution IMO.  Much beyond this would be unacceptable.
Now on a sidenote, after getting home and playing my guitar for a while (1/2 hour 45 minutes or so) I'm wondering what's up.  So to satisfy my curiosity I go outside and walk up the street until I can see that corner.  There were no police anywhere in sight and the black duffle bag is still sitting there unnatended people walking by paying no attention.
That's odd. Things like that should be called in (on a non emergency number if one is available in your area). You don't know what could be in the bag , and really it shouldn't be just sitting out there like that. Who knows what it was . I wouldn't just be concerned if it were one thing , it could of been a number of things. They should of investigated it .

#13    Reann

Reann

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

View PostDan, on 07 May 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

That Mayor is not a very good person. Don't forget the position he took  when the storm hit N.Y, he was all about the money , not caring about the people that had no water , electric, food and shelter. I'm a New Yorker but I have moved , out from under that state's laws and taxes.

A little clip of him stating that "in his geniusness" he believes that  we don't understand how to interpret the constitution. HA!

Edited by Reann, 07 May 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#14    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

View PostOverSword, on 07 May 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

<snip>

How was "giving up civil liberties" defined if it was at all during the poll?

A Post/CBS poll revealed 88% support background checks at gun shows while 55% support armed guards at school.

http://www.washingto...e95c8_page.html

A Pew research poll revealed 85% favor background checks at gun shows and private sales while 64% favor armed guards at school.

http://www.people-pr...jority-support/

#15    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,378 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

I suppose the poll results are a good sign, but really, did the government ask the people before they passed the Unpatriot Act?  The MCA?  FISA II?

No, and even if they had, it would have made no difference at all.  Everybody was against TARP, but it still passed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users