Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

what is the american dream.

danielost

To many people seem to thimk being rich is the american dream. That is not true. The american dream is to be succesful. That has different meaning to different people.

Tell us what succes is for you.

Guns!!!

:innocent:

In New York we just want to keep are guns.

• Like 1

Which one? The one of 1775? The one of 1864? The one of 1900? The one of 1929? Or what they have been selling you lately as being it?

• Like 2

My dream and I'm American, is to be able to do what I want if I'm not impacting anyone else. Sadly, I don't get to live my dream.

• Like 3

My dream and I'm American, is to be able to do what I want if I'm not impacting anyone else. Sadly, I don't get to live my dream.

That's my dream, too.

I just want the government to leave me alone.

• Like 5

To many, the American dream is wealth and materialism. What does one have to do to achieve this? I think the process of reaching this goal is what America is all about.

Which one? The one of 1775? The one of 1864? The one of 1900? The one of 1929? Or what they have been selling you lately as being it?

Yours.

Yours.

Mine? People mind their own business, be smart enough to elect competent representatives and, most of all, leave all religion as something private and out of politics. In short: the Independence the Founding Fathers fought for.

• Like 1

To give up the idea of a "self", to eradicate all craving and attachment and become a Buddhist monk.

The american dream is the freedom to dream your own dream. Which is why everyone has diffrent dreams. Land of the free go reach for the stars.

Atleast thats how i like to romanticise it lol :tsu:

• Like 2

For people to know that " America", or " American " starts with a capital " A " ....100% of the time.

Especially if you are an American.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

Sitting on a dock on a small freshwater lake ( or saltwater bay) with a coke in one hand and a fishing pole in the other, a basset hound or three sleeping at my feet( of playing in the yard behind me.) reading a book that is good enough that I forget about catching the fish that was eating my bait, while wildlife wanders around near me without being either afraid of or aggressive towards me. ( Killer whales and dolphins in a salt water setting and deer and elk and moose in a fresh water setting)

that is My all American dream

• Like 4

The American Dream has largely centered around upward social mobility, that is to rise from a lower class to a higher one, but has had different definitions throughout time. Usually it is focused around an immigrant, someone coming from an immigrant class, or someone coming from a lower class and moving out of that into a better life.

During the frontier era where you needed property to be able to vote and to be considered a good upstanding citizen it meant owning property.

After WWII with the GI Bill and a new era of American prosperity due to being part of the victors circle and enjoying the spoils of war it meant owning a home.

Variously it has switched from graduating from college to now where it seems it is about owning a small business. You still hear stories of how an immigrant or child of one worked hard while going through college and graduating or how they opened up a small business.

Each of these dreams have been dashed somewhat by debt and the cost of all these. It is no longer owning a home when so many live in apartments. It is no longer going through college when the cost of doing so has skyrocketed. It might now be about owning a small business.

Sadly for some it is about having a the best sneakers, a nice car, or having a huge wide screen TV, or being able to shop with that designer bag under your shoulder and the plastic card inside.

Whatever the American Dream actually is it has always seemed to be centered around status, from being able to vote by owning property, to making a life for yourself and family (which was eroded when it took two breadwinners instead of one to do so), but if it has been devalued we cannot solely blame the people because that was part of industrialization. Now that corporations make profit off of debt, especially from those going to college and having to get loans, it makes that more inaccessible. So people will define the dream by what is accessible even if it is these lesser things of sneakers, cars, and TVs.

In the end these are all cultural concepts with loose definitions but the zeitgeist usually can tell us what the American Dream is at any given moment.

Of course a new dream which we should consider and which might unfold anyways is that of simply being out of debt. Being free from debt seems to be the new gospel with Ramsey as its main prophet. Not a fan of his or endorsing him but the idea of not being in debt should be pursued by all and we shouldn't need a radio show, book, or lecture to be able to do so. In the end he too is just another entertainment product.

Edited by The world needs you
  • Like 1

Life , Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness ? .. hey that would make a good slogan or something !

• Like 1

A boot stamping on a human face forever.

This is a quote from George Orwell's "1984". While a little harsh, I think it has some relevance to many people's vision of the American dream.

Everyone has their take on "living the American dream" but what does everyone want to do about making their personal dreams come true? After all, isn't that what's important also?

My dreams & short reasoning:

1. Start planning for the wedding day - The question was asked last November, but in the mix of finding our home together and making it look like OUR HOME, we set aside planning and rings until we were completely ready to take the time and plan. (I think the "planning" may be coming soon, I have a feeling!)

2. Go back to school - I was going to an undergraduate school for Nail Technology and had to drop out less that 1 month before graduation due to...... well..... that's a topic for another day (sensitive topic still) I was originally going to a SUNY college for Veterinary Technology, but I had to take Chemistry and Physics (at a community college) before I would even be concidered, so I strayed away and began working on the next best for myself.

3. Continuing to live, learn, and love everyday! - The phrase, "LIVE like there's no tomorrow" doesn't work for me, so I had to alter the idea...

'LOVE' like there's no tomorrow! - There isn't a day where either my fiance or myself don't say we love each other more times than what can be counted. Every time one of us leaves and the other stays back, there's always a "love" exchange before departure.

It's like my fiance says, there's not enough time in a day to be mad at your partner. Imagine if you or your partner left the house mad at the other, and something happened. You'd be thinking that the last words exchanged weren't good ones to remember.

Never go to bed mad at each other. Never leave angry, simply because no one knows what 1 minute, hour, day, month, year, etc. will hold in store. You might not have the opportunity to make things better. Forgiving is the best thing!

All in all, my dreams and their stories are my own to make come true, and if they don't, then they don't. But at least I'll know I tried!

• Like 2

I've never understood why its so commonly referred to as the American Dream as basically its the same dream of every man woman or child anywhere in the world. Basically it is the same everywhere isn't it ? Opportunities .. freedom ... the pursuit of happiness ... etc etc ... everywhere else does not need to label it as a Nationalistic Dream ... it does sound funny when a Canadian says "Canadian Dream" or UK going "British Dream" when in the end it all amounts to the same thing.

Another thing I never quite catch is the saying "Pie in The SKy" ... sounds nice ... even has a nice ring to it in a song ... whats the other one ? American Pie ?

`

• Like 2

Can I change my answer?

I dream to one day chew a Pop-Tart into the shape of a gun.

Just don't take it to school.

• Like 1

I've never understood why its so commonly referred to as the American Dream as basically its the same dream of every man woman or child anywhere in the world. Basically it is the same everywhere isn't it ? Opportunities .. freedom ... the pursuit of happiness ... etc etc ... everywhere else does not need to label it as a Nationalistic Dream ... it does sound funny when a Canadian says "Canadian Dream" or UK going "British Dream" when in the end it all amounts to the same thing.

Another thing I never quite catch is the saying "Pie in The SKy" ... sounds nice ... even has a nice ring to it in a song ... whats the other one ? American Pie ?

`

Your correct. But, it is called the american dream, because no one is standing in your way. While up until now.