Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Recipe Thread


  • Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#46    rashore

rashore

    Telekinetic

  • 6,728 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2010
  • Gender:Female

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 26 February 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

OH_MY_GOD

that looks so good !
We don't have coffee cream in the USA .....at least I dont think we do . I will have to look it up and see if we have something comparable .

This might be helpful...

Half and half has 12% fat
Light cream- 20% fat, and probably close to the coffee cream Nine Moons is speaking of.
Light whipping cream- 30% fat
Whipping Cream- 35% fat
Heavy cream or heavy whipping cream- 40% fat

Edited by rashore, 26 February 2013 - 06:26 PM.


#47    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

View PostMichelle, on 26 February 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:



I'm pretty sure it's what we call whipping cream.

Oh for gods sake. I would never think that's what it meant .Since theccake recipe had coffee in it ,I thought it was some sort of flavored cream .
Heavy cream is what we new yawkas call it.
We have heavy whipping cream ,and light cream .

Gotcha .

Miss me?

#48    Michelle

Michelle

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 14,609 posts
  • Joined:03 Jan 2004
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tennessee

  • Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

View Postrashore, on 26 February 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

This might be helpful...

Half and half has 12% fat
Light cream- 20% fat, and probably close to the coffee cream Nine Moons is speaking of.
Light whipping cream- 30% fat
Whipping Cream- 35% fat
Heavy cream or heavy whipping cream- 40% fat

Any of those would work depending on how rich you wanted to make it wouldn't they?

That cake does sound great! If I make one I have to give most of it away becuase we don't eat many sweets, but I'm very tempted.

Edited by Michelle, 26 February 2013 - 07:26 PM.


#49    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

    Vertically Challenged

  • Member
  • 7,068 posts
  • Joined:09 Aug 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Home of 'The Orange'

  • We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

    'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

I made this for a chowder cook off we had at work last week. It was a great success, I took 2nd place. I was looking for a very non-traditional chowder and found this recipe.
Saurkraut Chowder

3 -4 large russet potatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (15 ounce) can sauerkraut
1 (10 ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (1 lb) package kielbasa, diced (optional)
water
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
  • Cut potatoes into bite size pieces (you can peel them if you would like, I leave the skin for extra nutrients) place in a dutch-oven or soup pot, cover with water, add onions and boil until cooked through and fork tender.
    (I peeled the potatoes)
  • When potatoes are done add sauerkraut, evaporated milk and cream cheese; stir until cream cheese is completely blended.
  • At this time if you wish to add the kielbasa do so.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste (don't let the sauerkraut fool you, the potatoes take away most of the tartness so you will need more salt than you think so make sure to taste).
  • Cover and cook at a low simmer for 30 minutes.


Edited by BiffSplitkins, 26 February 2013 - 07:39 PM.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image


#50    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 26 February 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

I made this for a chowder cook off we had at work last week. It was a great success, I took 2nd place. I was looking for a very non-traditional chowder and found this recipe.
Saurkraut Chowder

3 -4 large russet potatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (15 ounce) can sauerkraut
1 (10 ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (1 lb) package kielbasa, diced (optional)
water
salt and pepper, to taste

    Directions:
  • Cut potatoes into bite size pieces (you can peel them if you would like, I leave the skin for extra nutrients) place in a dutch-oven or soup pot, cover with water, add onions and boil until cooked through and fork tender.
        (I peeled the potatoes)
  • When potatoes are done add sauerkraut, evaporated milk and cream cheese; stir until cream cheese is completely blended.
  • At this time if you wish to add the kielbasa do so.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste (don't let the sauerkraut fool you, the potatoes take away most of the tartness so you will need more salt than you think so make sure to taste).
  • Cover and cook at a low simmer for 30 minutes.
I *love* sauerkraut . I will absolutely be making this one too . Xxoo

Miss me?

#51    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

    Facebook Fiend

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Joined:25 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Middleton,Greater Manchester,UK

  • Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 14 September 2012 - 04:49 AM, said:

Ok,I know a few peeps here love these .
I have not tried this recipe yet,but it looks fabulous .

Cherry Bakewell Tart
http://thebakedbeen....l-tart.html?m=1
You wouldn't have one there for custard to go with the Bakewell Tart?

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#52    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

    Vertically Challenged

  • Member
  • 7,068 posts
  • Joined:09 Aug 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Home of 'The Orange'

  • We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

    'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 28 February 2013 - 01:39 AM, said:

I *love* sauerkraut . I will absolutely be making this one too . Xxoo
You won't be dissapointed. It's very tasty.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image


#53    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

Look at this !
I had to order mace on line. Not a single store I went to carried it ,so I'm waiting to make it .
It looks delicious though !

http://food52.com/re...h-caramel-icing

Miss me?

#54    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostG Donnelly, on 28 February 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:


You wouldn't have one there for custard to go with the Bakewell Tart?
Sorry I missed this. I just use the Birds custard mix. It's very good. You want from scratch ? I'm sure I can find one .

Miss me?

#55    rashore

rashore

    Telekinetic

  • 6,728 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2010
  • Gender:Female

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:28 AM

Just my opinion, but I think a creme anglaise would be better with the Blackwell tart than a full blown custard... But mmmm, even better IMO would be a small sampling of nice eating cheeses to go along with it. Eating cheeses are ones that often get served as part of dessert service, meant to be savored in their own bites, rather than cheeses you use for cooking or eating in sandwiches for instance. Tart apples, small pears, and sweet plums also go well with this kind of tart.

One day in class we made these tarts, so I got to sample a ton of them with a ton of stuff.

Edited by rashore, 05 April 2013 - 01:28 AM.


#56    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

    Facebook Fiend

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Joined:25 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Middleton,Greater Manchester,UK

  • Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 04 April 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:


Sorry I missed this. I just use the Birds custard mix. It's very good. You want from scratch ? I'm sure I can find one .
I'll relay that to my sister.She's a better cook than me.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#57    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:55 AM

Putting it here ,so its not lost .

Horchata

http://www.unexplain...showentry=27637

Miss me?

#58    rashore

rashore

    Telekinetic

  • 6,728 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2010
  • Gender:Female

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

This sounded pretty good, shared by a friend... I'm making it tonight for dinner...

ENCHILADA PASTA

1 lb ground beef (or 2 cups diced rotisserie chicken)
1 Tbsp taco seasoning
1 medium size can of enchilada sauce
1 small can of corn, drained
1 bag wide egg noodles
2 cups cheddar or Mexican mix shredded cheese

Pre-heat oven to 350.
In a medium skillet brown ground beef with taco seasoning, drain.
Cook egg noodles until just al dente (they will continue to cook in oven). Drain well, then put back into pot.
Add ground beef, sauce and corn into pot with pasta and mix well.
Pour into 13x9 baking dish and top with cheese.
Bake until cheese melted and bubbly, about 20-30 minutes.

I'm adding black beans to it because we love beans around here :)

Don't have a can of enchilada sauce on hand? No problem, it's easy to make, here's a basic recipe.
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup chili powder
2 Tablespoons flour
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
salt to taste
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.
Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic, and onion into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.

I make my own pepper powder out of a variety of dried peppers, and I like to add some of this to the quarter cup of chili powder. Adds a little extra yum to it.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users