Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

70 earthworms married in Taiwan

earthworms taiwan married

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    HawkLord

HawkLord

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 336 posts

• I reserve the right to change my mind when better and more accurate info becomes available.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

And people wonder why we are searching for intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. :wacko:

The rocks in my head fill the holes in yours.

It is easy to spout the wisdom of others when you have none of your own.

Insult me all you like but remember that i have a sword.

#17    ThePhantomFlanFlinger

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

Awwww...cant remember when i last went to a Worm wedding....wife would probably say it was our own... :P

#18    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

View PostEldorado, on 19 September 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

I was accused of being slightly racist for saying, at work, that the Far East is an insane land.  I stand by it.  They are nuts.
I would hardly call all that occurs here in the western hemisphere, normal...

Meanwhile, on the earthworm topic, talk about having your marriage dragged through the dirt...   sorry, couldn't help that one...  :P

#19    la_paloma_blanca

la_paloma_blanca

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

• Ay guey, si guey, no guey, claro k guey.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

View Postminera, on 19 September 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

what a bunch of crap. There must be other ways to bring attention to their cause. Now it is just a butt of jokes.
I think it's as zany as it is kinda cute. You have to admit it's much nicer attention getter than pelting people with flour and paint. :-p

#20    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,415 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

View PostBrianPotter, on 19 September 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

Awwww...cant remember when i last went to a Worm wedding....wife would probably say it was our own... :P

Did you try to worm your way out of it?

#21    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• 1,353 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

i think this worm wedding is a counterpart to how we have all this system organised charity in the western world

marry a worm to fight cancer week, step on a worm to fight cancer week, world's biggest worm breakfast, wear a worm to work day..

...none if this stuff is logical, it's all about that knee-jerk emotional reaction.. this is how they program us.

this caught my eye

there's this scene of them excavating and digging,to build the foundation ,and the monks ffrrreeakkk out,not to kill any earth worms during the digging,as they too,are sentient beings
it's nice to think people could really be like that, isn't it? ..there is more to it.. there is more to a person than what you see. always.

even though this event is coming from a movie, i can accept what you're saying, i've seen it myself when a big 6+ foot guy was messed up about cutting a worm in half [preparing vegetable gardens]

but there is more to this person than that worm-friendly side.. [to cut it short] this guy was a pedophile.. and there is more to those monks.. i'm not suggesting they've all got skeletons in their closets like this guy had.. but.. maybe you can see what i'm saying here.. there is two sides to a person, there is always a struggle with light and dark. if the monks were so close to the light, trust me, they'd be taking their show on the road, noone lights a candle then hides it away in a dark place, you know what i mean? i'm not dissing their approach to life, i think more people ought to follow their example, i'm just saying these monks recognise that dual nature within themselves, that's why they withdraw from 'society' and go off to ponder the things they do.

the ones who look into the abyss have to be careful they don't become monsters..

a similar thing is happening to the scientist, or cancer researcher, they withdraw from the mass of people and go to study, then work somewhere..

the pulling away from the crowd represents an inner learning for both. it also means less emphasis on mere entertainment [which is where the mass of society is actually at] ...so, 90% of the organism amuses itself while a small % does the actual important work.. it's a very dedicated field, almost monastic in a way.. i suppose what i'm trying to get across is - it's serious

that seriousness conflicts with the way the system operates. can you imagine what would happen if everyone in the world suddenly started to think seriously about their lot in life!?!?! the whole house of cards would come tumbling down. this is why all this 'serious' stuff (environment, cancer research) is sold off to us in silly ways. i say again, marry a worm to fight cancer week, step on a worm to fight cancer week, world's biggest worm breakfast, wear a worm to work day..

i hope this made sense

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#22    ThePhantomFlanFlinger

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:53 AM

View PostEldorado, on 20 September 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

Did you try to worm your way out of it?

:lol: ...aye..and failed... :P

#23    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,091 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:49 PM

While it all sounds very weird to us, it's a normal custom for them.

"I now pronounce you husband -earthworm and wife- earthworm"........"you may kiss the bride"...... :unsure2:

Posted Image

#24    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:19 AM

View Postunit, on 20 September 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

i think this worm wedding is a counterpart to how we have all this system organised charity in the western world

marry a worm to fight cancer week, step on a worm to fight cancer week, world's biggest worm breakfast, wear a worm to work day..

...none if this stuff is logical, it's all about that knee-jerk emotional reaction.. this is how they program us.

this caught my eye

it's nice to think people could really be like that, isn't it? ..there is more to it.. there is more to a person than what you see. always.

even though this event is coming from a movie, i can accept what you're saying, i've seen it myself when a big 6+ foot guy was messed up about cutting a worm in half [preparing vegetable gardens]

but there is more to this person than that worm-friendly side.. [to cut it short] this guy was a pedophile.. and there is more to those monks.. i'm not suggesting they've all got skeletons in their closets like this guy had.. but.. maybe you can see what i'm saying here.. there is two sides to a person, there is always a struggle with light and dark. if the monks were so close to the light, trust me, they'd be taking their show on the road, noone lights a candle then hides it away in a dark place, you know what i mean? i'm not dissing their approach to life, i think more people ought to follow their example, i'm just saying these monks recognise that dual nature within themselves, that's why they withdraw from 'society' and go off to ponder the things they do.

the ones who look into the abyss have to be careful they don't become monsters..

a similar thing is happening to the scientist, or cancer researcher, they withdraw from the mass of people and go to study, then work somewhere..

the pulling away from the crowd represents an inner learning for both. it also means less emphasis on mere entertainment [which is where the mass of society is actually at] ...so, 90% of the organism amuses itself while a small % does the actual important work.. it's a very dedicated field, almost monastic in a way.. i suppose what i'm trying to get across is - it's serious

that seriousness conflicts with the way the system operates. can you imagine what would happen if everyone in the world suddenly started to think seriously about their lot in life!?!?! the whole house of cards would come tumbling down. this is why all this 'serious' stuff (environment, cancer research) is sold off to us in silly ways. i say again, marry a worm to fight cancer week, step on a worm to fight cancer week, world's biggest worm breakfast, wear a worm to work day..

i hope this made sense

That was way deep.  There's a pun in there somewhere, but really deep.

#25    fueled

fueled

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:48 AM

HawkLord you are so on to it....lol

HawkLord you are so on to it....lol

#26    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

I believe this marriage - of the earthworms to the soil of the park - will produce more beneficial results than the marriages of many human beings. In my view.

#27    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 21 September 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

While it all sounds very weird to us, it's a normal custom for them.

"I now pronounce you husband -earthworm and wife- earthworm"........"you may kiss the bride"...... :unsure2:

True about the normalcy of a cultures customs... Best not to judge, just observe and learn.  

I understood the article to mean the worms were married to the soil, "the worms arrived Sunday at Takang Park in Tainan city inside a traditional wedding sedan draped in red cloth to "tie the knot with the soil of the park"

I guess the worms were mail order brides/grooms.  Our maybe they met through evil harmony.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#28    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

All the microorganisms in my intestines are engaged. You all have to get each one a wedding present.

Well this is kind of a silly practice but it doesn't bother me in the least bit. While here in the states, people still get pissy if you mention two people of the same gender marrying...

Posted Image

~MEH~

#29    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,227 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

Hey, didn't some lady marry the statue of liberty? At least the worms are alive (not too much less crazy though).

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

Also tagged with earthworms, taiwan, married

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users