Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

75 yr/o Message in a Bottle washes up in NZ

DKO

A MESSAGE in a bottle found 76 years after it was thrown into the sea has been reunited with the family of the Perth man who wrote it.

Sky News UK reports that the bottle was found on a beach in New Zealand by Geoff Flood in November 2012, but had been set adrift in 1936.

Inside was a note, dated March 17, which said: "At sea. Would the finder of this bottle kindly forward this note...to undermentioned address."

-----

Mr Hillbrick had died in the 1940s, but further investigation led Mr Flood to Herbert's grandson Peter Hillbrick, who was living in Perth.

"The only connection I have with Grandfather is now that bottle. That's about all. So, it's a fascinating story," he said.

Video in link.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/message-in-bottle-reaches-perth-after-76-years/story-e6frg13u-1226559506477

• Like 1

Imagine that! What a great keepsake for his family. Lovely story :tu:

• Like 2

ss strathnaver was a royal mail ship operated by the peninsular and oriental steam navigation company.Built the 1930s at barrow in furness.

Amazing. Like someone said, that's a long time being tossed around in the ocean. Wow.

I've always been intrigued by sea-swept, letter-bearing bottle stories. There are also other note bearers besides bottles. When I was around eleven yrs. old and growing up in rural northeast Arkansas, I would walk the miles of gravel roads surrounding our old farmhouse. One day while I was walking, I spotted a bright red balloon in the middle of a field. When I got to it, I saw a note attached with a phone number and address. Of course I took it home to mom and let her handle it from there. It turned out that a group of schoolchildren had released about ten of them about a week earlier as a school project to see where they would turn up. They had only received a few replies back. The class sent me a $25.00 gift check for replying, but I gave it to my parents to save for me later. Talk about an interesting way to get a pen pal though lol. I've been fascinated ever since I guess.

• Like 4

I've always wondered though how many bottles are floating out there that have message from a time long ago...

What an amazing thing to have happen.

I met a very nice person from a message I found in a little glass bottle.

The guy would have been really surprised if he was still alive.

Dam 76 Years thats a long time. My Neighbors were getting some work down on there lawn, and they had a sewer back up or something where the guys had to make this big ass whole in the ground to fix the pipes i was watching them work one day and i had a penny in my hands and tossed it into the hole. Hopefully that penny will be there for a couple of thousand of years and when future archeologists dig it up will wonder how a penny got that deep into the ground.

Dam 76 Years thats a long time. My Neighbors were getting some work down on there lawn, and they had a sewer back up or something where the guys had to make this big ass whole in the ground to fix the pipes i was watching them work one day and i had a penny in my hands and tossed it into the hole. Hopefully that penny will be there for a couple of thousand of years and when future archeologists dig it up will wonder how a penny got that deep into the ground.

Hey Steve, archaeology doesn't work that way. Or, I should say that 'it shouldn't work' that way.

Last year there was an 'archie' trying to make a name for himself in the Yukon for finding a 400 year old Chinese coin in about 6 inches of dirt. He speculated that the Chinese and Natives were trading that long ago.

Those coins a fairly common in the Pacific north west.

But back to the O.P. Seventy plus years and the bottle didn't really get that far. I wonder how many laps it made around Australia in that time?

Hey Steve, archaeology doesn't work that way. Or, I should say that 'it shouldn't work' that way.

Last year there was an 'archie' trying to make a name for himself in the Yukon for finding a 400 year old Chinese coin in about 6 inches of dirt. He speculated that the Chinese and Natives were trading that long ago.

Those coins a fairly common in the Pacific north west.

But back to the O.P. Seventy plus years and the bottle didn't really get that far. I wonder how many laps it made around Australia in that time?

A fair few I would imagine , It's a miracle that it got to NZ really , you would think that it would have washed up on the south coast or even or Tasmania ....

This is a great finding. I wish I found something like that i would keep it and show it off to many neighbors. But I like reading things that were found from the past it's interesting.

sounds really interesting but also odd.

How did it last 75 years and where has it been?