Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Opinions On "True Blood"


  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:twilight zone's outer limits

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:46 AM

I still enjoy the show, but some of the plots went too far in the later seasons. I also would have done some things differently. For instance, I would have made the vamps and the wolves equal in power and reputation instead of the weaker "biker" werewolves we see on the series. I would have cast a "were" version of Russell, a challenge to him. It appears that the sixth season will be even more out there. Humans will gain some advantages, and it sounds like there will be more madness and mayhem, which isn't good news for those of us who think that they should tone it down a little. I hope that the show reveals the true identity of Warlow, who I think likely will have a friendship/showdown/relationship/link with Bill. Does anybody else follow this series?

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#2    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 28 May 2013 - 02:46 AM, said:

I still enjoy the show, but some of the plots went too far in the later seasons. I also would have done some things differently. For instance, I would have made the vamps and the wolves equal in power and reputation instead of the weaker "biker" werewolves we see on the series. I would have cast a "were" version of Russell, a challenge to him. It appears that the sixth season will be even more out there. Humans will gain some advantages, and it sounds like there will be more madness and mayhem, which isn't good news for those of us who think that they should tone it down a little. I hope that the show reveals the true identity of Warlow, who I think likely will have a friendship/showdown/relationship/link with Bill. Does anybody else follow this series?

Used too. But then they went to far with the violence and sex....ewww.... :no:
I prefer Dr Who, thank you....


#3    HerNibs

HerNibs

    Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

  • Member
  • 12,033 posts
  • Joined:03 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Colorado

  • Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

I LOVE this show.  :)

The show has moved away from the books.  That really started when they didn't kill Lafayette (thank goodness) in the first/second season.

IMO toning it down would destroy the over the top camp that drives the show.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#4    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:twilight zone's outer limits

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:50 AM

View PostKowalski, on 28 May 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

Used too. But then they went to far with the violence and sex....ewww.... :no:
I prefer Dr Who, thank you....

I agree that the sex and violence are gratuitous at times. Maybe that's a rule for HBO offerings. I don't appreciate the social commentary, either. It's easy to see where Ball stands on most issues.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#5    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:twilight zone's outer limits

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:51 AM

View PostHerNibs, on 28 May 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

I LOVE this show.  :)

The show has moved away from the books.  That really started when they didn't kill Lafayette (thank goodness) in the first/second season.

IMO toning it down would destroy the over the top camp that drives the show.

Nibs

I see your point. Sometimes camp can turn into ridiculous, though. There's a fine line. They crossed it from time to time. YMMV

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#6    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 30 May 2013 - 01:50 AM, said:

I agree that the sex and violence are gratuitous at times. Maybe that's a rule for HBO offerings. I don't appreciate the social commentary, either. It's easy to see where Ball stands on most issues.

No social commentary was intended. I'm just not a big fan of all all the gore, violence, and sex, in shows or movies. Some people don't mind it, and that's fine. To each their own. We all have different viewing habits.
Sorry if you took offense to my post, it was not intended that way.


#7    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:twilight zone's outer limits

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:35 AM

View PostKowalski, on 30 May 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

No social commentary was intended. I'm just not a big fan of all all the gore, violence, and sex, in shows or movies. Some people don't mind it, and that's fine. To each their own. We all have different viewing habits.
Sorry if you took offense to my post, it was not intended that way.

:lol:  I was referring to the show, not you. "True Blood" has too much political and social commentary in it. I agree with your views on sex, violence, gore, etc.. I assure you that I did *not* intend to direct my commentary to you! No, it's just that I don't like it when series shove their views down my throat to the point where it seems like propaganda. I don't care if it slants left or right. For example I don't need to hear one-sided polemic diatribes from gay vampires. That's what I meant.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#8    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 31 May 2013 - 02:35 AM, said:

:lol:  I was referring to the show, not you. "True Blood" has too much political and social commentary in it. I agree with your views on sex, violence, gore, etc.. I assure you that I did *not* intend to direct my commentary to you! No, it's just that I don't like it when series shove their views down my throat to the point where it seems like propaganda. I don't care if it slants left or right. For example I don't need to hear one-sided polemic diatribes from gay vampires. That's what I meant.

I get what you mean, now. My bad....
Sorry.
:)


#9    glorybebe

glorybebe

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • Member
  • 8,700 posts
  • Joined:24 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

Well, I enjoyed the first season.  So, I started reading the books.  I hate how it is 'based' on the books.  The producer took the idea and charactets and re-wrote the whole story.  I can't understand the arrogance of the man. Bthat kind of did it for me.  Not watching anymore.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#10    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:twilight zone's outer limits

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:32 AM

View Postglorybebe, on 31 May 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

Well, I enjoyed the first season.  So, I started reading the books.  I hate how it is 'based' on the books.  The producer took the idea and charactets and re-wrote the whole story.  I can't understand the arrogance of the man. Bthat kind of did it for me.  Not watching anymore.

That happens a lot. They always have to change things. Look at the movie and TV adaptations of "The Shining" and "The Stand". By the way, you can see one of the Charlaine Harris books in a scene on the very first "True Blood" in the first season. Gran' is reading it at her table when Sookie walks into the room. How weird is that? I'm tempted to buy the books to compare and contrast them with the series, but I doubt that I will because I think that they're geared towards women. I did read the V.C. Andrews books, though, which is somewhat embarrassing to admit.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#11    rashore

rashore

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,568 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2010
  • Gender:Female

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:40 AM

I read the books before the series.. or however many books there were at the time, heh. I still keep up on the books as they come to my local library.

I watched the first three seasons I think. Kind of around the time Sookie runs around in fairy land is when I kind of dropped off. Too many storylines went too far outside the book series, and it just kind of, meh. At first I was like, allright, people have lives outside the first person POV the books have, I can hang with that. But just too much what the heck stuff. I'm sure after a couple seasons pile up I'll Netflix them and have a marathon weekend.


#12    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:twilight zone's outer limits

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:47 AM

View Postrashore, on 01 June 2013 - 02:40 AM, said:

I read the books before the series.. or however many books there were at the time, heh. I still keep up on the books as they come to my local library.

I watched the first three seasons I think. Kind of around the time Sookie runs around in fairy land is when I kind of dropped off. Too many storylines went too far outside the book series, and it just kind of, meh. At first I was like, allright, people have lives outside the first person POV the books have, I can hang with that. But just too much what the heck stuff. I'm sure after a couple seasons pile up I'll Netflix them and have a marathon weekend.

I watched five seasons. Like you said, the fairy tale (sorry for the pun) was hard to take. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, though. I had mixed feelings about the introductions of the varied "supes". They seemed too weird at times. On the other hand, they kept the seasons identifiable. For instance, the maenad and Russell/werewolves differentiated the second and third seasons, respectively. I just ignored the few scenes that bugged me and enjoyed most of the action.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#13    RavenEyes19

RavenEyes19

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 193 posts
  • Joined:20 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Female

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:10 AM

I liked the first two seasons the best. I think the biggest problem I have with the show is there being so many regular characters. There are just too many different storylines going on all at once and it seems like it takes forever for the plot to move forward. And a lot of characters don't interest me. Characters like Andy, Terry and Arlene do not need their own storylines nor do they need to be in every single episode.
The writers don't seem to have the guts to kill off any characters either so there's not much suspense. Last season
Spoiler



#14    glorybebe

glorybebe

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • Member
  • 8,700 posts
  • Joined:24 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

View PostRavenEyes19, on 03 June 2013 - 05:10 AM, said:

I liked the first two seasons the best. I think the biggest problem I have with the show is there being so many regular characters. There are just too many different storylines going on all at once and it seems like it takes forever for the plot to move forward. And a lot of characters don't interest me. Characters like Andy, Terry and Arlene do not need their own storylines nor do they need to be in every single episode.
The writers don't seem to have the guts to kill off any characters either so there's not much suspense. Last season
Spoiler

Yes.  Too many story lines were driving me crazy.  But, IMO that goes back to Ball not following the books and making his own little story line.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#15    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,245 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

I still watch . I never read the book ,but when I compare the book storyline to the series,there are so many more  character's and tangents ,that I'm not sure I could keep the book storyline straight.
There are tons of faeries in the books rashore ,why would a lot of them in the series bother you .
I love Eric Northman and Pam . I think I watch more for their storylines than anyone else.
Last season was sick . The cliff hanger was a Wtf. I cannot wait to see how that ends up .
I'm very glad what's his face is dead though .
I do believe Rutger Hauer has been cast as Warlow ,so that should be very amusing

Miss me?




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users