Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Which U.S volcanoes Are Most Dangerous

Galactic

Here's something I found and its has some interesting some facts about these volcanoes though yet also which is most dangerous in around U.S.

May 27, 2010 7:01 PM ET By Remy Melina, OurAmazingPlanet Staff WriterThere are 65 volcanoes in the United States and its territories that scientists consider active, including Mount St. Helens. Of those volcanoes, 12 are on alert, which means they are on heightened watch for eruptive activity, and two are erupting right now or expected to erupt shortly.

Volcanic activity is constantly monitored by the U.S. Geological Survey, which is responsible for alerting the population and airlines of potential volcanic activities and issuing a warning if there is an impending volcanic eruption, said USGS seismologist Seth Moran.

"For a remote volcano, airlines need to know that a volcano might erupt so they are prepared to change their route to avoid the ash," USGS Volcano Hazards Program coordinator John Eichelberger told Life's Little Mysteries.

For a volcano near population centers, people may need to take precautions, such as having dust masks or staying out of a danger zone, or in extreme cases they may need to evacuate, Eichelberger said.

Here are the seven most dangerous volcanic areas in the U.S., according to the USGS Volcano Hazards Program's Volcano Alerts watch list:

more about this link below.

http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/which-us-volcanoes-are-most-dangerous-right-now--0218/

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fernand0

• SilverCougar

• MissMelsWell

• keithisco

Top Posters In This Topic

The most dangerous volcano in the USA is Yellowstone National Park, it is a supervolcano and it is long overdue to erupt.

I live in the foothills of the Cascade range and remember when Mt. St. Helens blew... I was 13, and actually heard it blow its lid, it was over 200 miles away from where I live... the one tha'ts active that I don't want to live to see blow is Mt. Rainier. That sucker is huge and it's for sure still mumbling and grumbling. It's also really close to St. Helens.

Volcanos aren't fun, and living in the Cascade range as I do, it's something we always have making us worry a bit in the back of our minds.

I live in the foothills of the Cascade range and remember when Mt. St. Helens blew... I was 13, and actually heard it blow its lid, it was over 200 miles away from where I live... the one tha'ts active that I don't want to live to see blow is Mt. Rainier. That sucker is huge and it's for sure still mumbling and grumbling. It's also really close to St. Helens.

Volcanos aren't fun, and living in the Cascade range as I do, it's something we always have making us worry a bit in the back of our minds.

aah rainier.. >.> I remember when I moved out here and m'boy pointed to it and said "See that? That's a volcano!"

I just looked at him and was all "Wanna move to NY with me?" XD

Yellowstone. when it blows then the whole earth will be affected. Possibly leading to mass extinctions, and a "nuclear" type winter caused by the ash and toxic gases blotting out sunlight for potentially years.

Discovery Channel has much to answer for.

Yellowstone is unlikely to ever erupt.