Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 2 votes

reintroducing corporal punishment in schools?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 27 February 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

I think the opposite about cameras. It would be a massive invasion of privacy and how secure would school networks be from attacks to get such videos? It's a dark path, the road of constant surveillance.

With 30 students and a teacher in each classroom, just what privacy would one expect? Seriously, there is no privacy in school, except maybe in the bathrooms.

A little paranoid about the videos? A system could be set up that was internal only. And if nothing happened that day, all videos get deleted. Really not a big deal and it certainly would create a less disruptive environment in the classrooms.

I do understand your position though and said that not everyone would like it......it is an option though.

Besides, I doubt most unruly kids would care too much about a camera. After all, they already act as such with a teacher in the room.

But with a camera, The school would know who did what and to whom. Neither side could get away with anything......

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#62    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,177 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

A school is a school not punishment for children

#63    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,351 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 28 February 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

A school is a place for learning,if parents would teach their own children the difference between right and wrong anymore then there would be no need in corporal punishment.This is not the case though most parents send their little brats to school just to not have to deal with them.It is not a teachers job to be the community babysitter.If the parent cannot discipline their child and teach them how to act then someone should.Just my opinion

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#64    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 28 February 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

A school is a place for learning,if parents would teach their own children the difference between right and wrong anymore then there would be no need in corporal punishment.This is not the case though most parents send their little brats to school just to not have to deal with them.It is not a teachers job to be the community babysitter.If the parent cannot discipline their child and teach them how to act then someone should.
Just my opinion
but not just your opinion king.
mine too.

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#65    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,351 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

It has got to the point shrooma everyone thinks that having any discipline or moral thinking is a bad thing and everyone should just run around doing and acting as they damn well please.Well this is the reason our prison system is so overloaded and crime is so bad.There will always be bad people,but being taught right from wrong from a early age and knowing there can and will be consequences if you do wrong helps a few atleast avoid trouble later in life.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#66    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 28 February 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

So we should just let unruly children continue to be unruly, learn nothing and disrupt the education of the other children?

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 28 February 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#67    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 28 February 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

So we should just let unruly children continue to be unruly, learn nothing and disrupt the education of the other children?

Its been a while since I was at school but they used to filter out the unruly kids and send them to a special needs school because of their behaviour problems.

#68    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 28 February 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

Its been a while since I was at school but they used to filter out the unruly kids and send them to a special needs school because of their behaviour problems.

Nowadays, however, if a teacher just puts an unruly kid into a classroom all by himself to stop him disrupting class the teachers involved plus the headmistress of the school get suspended: http://www.dailymail...-old-pupil.html

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 28 February 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#69    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,351 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 28 February 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

Nowadays, however, if a teacher just puts an unruly kid into a classroom all by himself to stop him disrupting class the teachers involved plus the headmistress of the school get suspended: http://www.dailymail...-old-pupil.html

Discipline is for squares Last.All it does is help you be a successful,functioning,well mannered human being.This type of person has shown to be the one who has to pay for the lazy,uneducated,loudmouth that is the "it" thing desired to be in todays world.

Get with the program old man :lol:  jk

#70    Cradle of Fish

Cradle of Fish

Alien Abducter

• 4,583 posts

• "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

If kids are so unruly and violent how on Earth do you expect them to be any less if you show them that inflicting pain is a legitimate way to force conformity?

I am not a man, merely a parody of one.

#71    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,741 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

My bad-mouthed, occasionaly totaly disrespective grandson would disgree on any corporal punishment, at home or school.

Wonder what attitude he will grow-up with. Makes me sad.

EDIT: When I was younger, I got an occasional slapping at home, belt whip from school, and I do NOT regret any of it; looking back at my asinine behavior. Helped to straighten me out.

Now it seem's one might go to jail for a short time, and the kid's know it, and use it against you.

Edited by pallidin, 01 March 2013 - 07:56 AM.

#72    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,351 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

View PostCradle of Fish, on 01 March 2013 - 06:39 AM, said:

If kids are so unruly and violent how on Earth do you expect them to be any less if you show them that inflicting pain is a legitimate way to force conformity?

Yes you are correct lets just take their tv away for a couple of hours,seems to be working real well now days.

It is called a deterent,or consequences for their actions something that is lost on this generation.12-15 years back when i was in high school corporal punishment was still allowed,i was on the football team so if i got in trouble not only did i get punished i then had to deal with my coach and that would be running 20 stadiums minimum.I tried keeping my ass out of trouble because of it!

#73    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,741 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

"Consequences"

Yeah. Gentle but firm. :yes:

#74    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,351 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

Exactly palladin lessons are taught not just known.Just taking away the material then sending them off to be the equivalent of baby sat does nothing.Cradle if you want to figure out a better answer then look into a way of making all of these losers who get woman pregnant then run off to do their own thing stick around and be responsible.Until then someone has to teach them discipline,manners,and knowledge.

#75    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

Before I say something I would like to quote a bit of James Stannage...
Reward the good behaviour and ignore the bad.
So with that in mind I'm against corporal punishment.
Surely there's better ways of making an attitude adjustment.
Because in my eyes violence begets violence.
Parents and schoolteachers need to be more lenient instead of whacking their kids backside with a slipper or cane.
It just sounds too much like boot camp.
If your kids have got an psychological problem see a shrink or social worker.
However some kids are so scarred by sexual abuse it seems like there's no easy way out.

Edited by Medium Brown, 04 March 2013 - 02:13 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users