Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gobekli Tepe's Cosmic Blueprint

Andrew B Collins

Hi, to everyone on the forum.

Just to let you know I have posted a brand new article on Gobekli Tepe's astronomical alignments, and their implications to the site's construction and original function. I would be happy for any comments or feedback. The link is:

http://www.andrewcol...les/Gobekli.htm

• Like 1

hi andrew, thats a well written article IMO. The subject matter is very broad, however you offer credible ideas regards the alignment of the various sites over a time period relative to precession etc, carbon dating doesn't conflict at least. Then the theories rgds the vulture symbology is likewise plausible, and cleverly referenced with ajacent neolithic sites. There also sounds to be more than a grain of truth in the theory relating the cignus constellation / milkyway rift, and the 'transmigration' of the soul, and in your summing up, one idea that wouldn't have crossed my mind - an ancient neolithic maternity ward ;) - a bit like the 'moonchild' of notorious bygone authors. I think you are doing a good job of filling in a blank, its a shame that there is such an inertia to take theories like these onboard in conventional archaeology ( lets not forget that Hipparchus is 'officially' the first astronomer to note the phenomenom or precession.)- I think if the cap fits, we shouldn't neccesarily wear it, but we surely can't do any harm trying it on.

I was listening to the radio last week, and they were talking about the difference between a space and a location. location being a familiarization of a space, once you start to familiarize yourself with the night sky (playing with google sky etc, then the heavens take on a whole new aspect, and can quickly become a pre-occupation).

btw, I see your quite economical with your posts, hope you come out of your shell a bit, myself and a few otheres I dare say would enjoy your input.

cheers

D.

Edited by bom shankra
  • Like 1

2ij58h2.jpg

Hi and welcome to UM! :D

I dont think that Gobekli Tepe have any cosmic blue print.

You can draw anything on constellations.

And conect any dots you like. For example if we must named certain constellations rightnow we would named them bicycle, television, DNA...

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

they forgot about the big dipper ....

Hi, to everyone on the forum.

Just to let you know I have posted a brand new article on Gobekli Tepe's astronomical alignments, and their implications to the site's construction and original function. I would be happy for any comments or feedback. The link is:

It is confirmation also of the incredible role played by Cygnus and the Milky Way's Dark Rift in the cosmological beliefs of the Upper Paleolithic age and, later, among the early Neolithic peoples of Anatolia. These are incredible revelations that entirely alter our currently held views on the mindset of the Pre-Pottery Neolithic world (Collins 2013).

Have briefly reviewed your submission. At this point, personal evaluation would be that said submission is so flawed that it is not even wrong.

While you do attempt to incorporate a minimal amount of credible data, the presentation is laden with unsubstantiated extrapolations. One may wish to consider factors such as timeline, population movement, genetics, etc., etc. before associating Gobekli Tepe with such cultural elements as those of dynastic Egypt.

You are correct in your utilization of cautionary language in the earlier sections of the presentation. However, you would appear to promptly gloss over these aspects in order to reach a "conclusion" that is far from having well-researched substantiation.

As a last note, the interpretation of the cosmological belief systems of past cultures, particularly those of notably earlier periods, is quite problematic and subject to the influence of more current perceptual perspectives.

• Like 1

ohh. now I see, your the dood who reckons there are a system of caves starting from the tromb of the birds... around giza. that throws a different light on things :whistle:

well, as i said, introduce yourself and thrash your ideas out - please...

Edited by bom shankra

He doesn't need an introduction. he's been here before, in another ID.

There were long discussions on the caves/tunnels etc.

maybe him and zoser should meet up for drinks..

The squares above the bird and ball (soul) on the pictured stones , they seem to have a handle which makes them look like handbags ??

Look for pictures of the fishgod (the god thought to have inspired the bishops mitre )and they look like the items that many of these Gods are shown carrying. ??

hello Andrew,

i realize some bash your work because they may no believe it or they prefer to

believe in the belt stars of orion aka known as "OCT" or have some other idea's.

but i look at it all information is valuable in some way, good or bad.

5 years ago i just glance at gobeki tepe after reading some of it online and your webpage on it, thinking

these circles could indeed perhaps being focus on the sky-heavens for solar and stellar symbolism in as in rising and setting.

but i glad you gone back and have taken the time to go back and look at Gobeki Tepe after looking at it long ago.

anyhow, i just love the picture, with the stone with the hole in it, if your the first to report in online,

anyhow love the vulture symbolism you posted there,

and Enclosure D's with stone with the hole you posted just really sticks out

thanks for posting

Edited by samspade

Good article,and a good suggestion.Should be looked into more deeply.

-snip-

Hi and welcome to UM! :D

I dont think that Gobekli Tepe have any cosmic blue print.

You can draw anything on constellations.

And conect any dots you like. For example if we must named certain constellations rightnow we would named them bicycle, television, DNA...

Damned who would have thought, but me and L actually agree on something. :huh:

maybe him and zoser should meet up for drinks..

......and neither of them agreeing upon anything and telling the other they are wrong. Talk about a drink.... :P

• Like 1

Damned who would have thought, but me and L actually agree on something. :huh:

You would be surprised how many things we have in common. We only dont agree on small amounts of things. But just because you and I are strict for details (again similarity) makes our argument spicy.

I have posted a brand new article on Gobekli Tepe's astronomical alignments, and their implications to the site's construction and original function. I would be happy for any comments or feedback. The link is:

Andrew can you confirn something, there seems to be a difference in opinion, namely on your webpage have alignment of center pillars by Rodney Hale and you mentions this

"He examined published and unpublished survey plans of the monuments at Göbekli Tepe and determined that the central pillars in Enclosures B, C, D and E (the "Felsentempel", or "rock temple", located to the west of the main group) are all aligned just west of north, and, equally, just east of south, in the following manner:

Enclosure B 337°/157°

Enclosure C 345°/165°

Enclosure D 353°/173°

Enclosure E 350°/170°

The twin pillars marking the entrance to an apse-like feature at the northern end of Enclosure A were turned much further west. Indeed, they were orientated 312°/132°, just three degrees off northwest-southeast"

---

special note the center pillars,

haley does not share the same opinion of Paul Burley,

paul burley claims

"two T-shaped pillars placed off center within each structure and aligned generally in a northeast-southwest direction"

---

Paul Burley feels the center pillars run NE TO SW but

Rodney Hale feels they run aligned just west of north

who do you feel is correct and why is there a difference of opinion ?

Edited by samspade

Hi Andrew! Interesting theory... Perhaps, in order to help people new to your work understand it in its proper context, you might like to give us some background? As I understand it, some years ago you theorized that in prehistoric times, a supernova in the constellation Cygnus bombarded the Earth with radiation, which fortuitously resulted in primitive hominids mutating into homo sapiens.

The newly sentient species somehow - I forget the details, but as I recall they were a bit sketchy - knew that cosmic rays had been very important for them, and furthermore, knew which part of the sky they'd come from, therefore all early civilizations must have attached vast importance to Cygnus, even if conventional archaeology has frequently failed to spot this.

Am I basically correct? Because if you're not looking at the layout of an ancient temple and seeing if any interesting patterns can be found, and then figuring out what they might represent, but deciding in advance that, because of another highly speculative theory held only by yourself, one particular pattern must be there somewhere, it throws things into a different perspective, does it not?

• Like 1

The constructions at Gobekli tepe are doubtless aligned to the heavens in some way... if we had some understanding of their belief system we might better understand their orientations?

i guess studying their orientations is a worthy exploration in order to gain some understanding of their belief systems?

The constructions at Gobekli tepe are doubtless aligned to the heavens in some way... if we had some understanding of their belief system we might better understand their orientations?

i guess studying their orientations is a worthy exploration in order to gain some understanding of their belief systems?

i tend to believe yes, and judging by some of the symbolism used, in my opinion it is screaming certain alignments.

so many of the circle structures are yet to be uncovered, im sure more evidence will will raised.

hopefully the symbolism is what i think, at this point it would be speculation on my part and

nothing i would like to share at the moment, we wait and see. what else comes up

regards,

• Like 1

Well, there happens to be some doubt, and I posted about it in one of the many other threads about Göbekli Tepe:

Abstract:

Archaeologists have proposed that quite a number of structures dating to the Pre-Pottery Neolithic A and B in southwest Asia were nondomestic ritual buildings, sometimes described specifically as temples or shrines, and these figure large in some interpretations of social change in the Near Eastern Neolithic. Yet the evidence supporting the identification of cult buildings is often equivocal or depends on ethnocentric distinctions between sacred and profane spaces. This paper explores the case of Göbekli Tepe, a large Pre-Pottery Neolithic site in Turkey that its excavator claims consisted only of temples, to illustrate weaknesses in some kinds of claims about Neolithic sacred spaces and to explore some of the problems of identifying prehistoric ritual. Consideration of the evidence suggests the alternative hypothesis that the buildings at Göbekli Tepe may actually be houses, albeit ones that are rich in symbolic content.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231550entry4408835

well, ok, if they were houses, they look like awfully important ones ? So little is known about the place? Who knows what system of ideas were at work?

I'll have to try and learn a bit about what is known about the religious and political ideas of the region around those times.

... Houses are sometimes oriented to celestial bodies .. most Amerind dwelling's entrances faced the rising sun , for instance.

It's being assumed that the circles at Gobekli tepe are Temples... and maybe they are.. but they may also have had more of a Clan/Political purpose... Or a combination of ritual and other uses .... who knows?

... Houses are sometimes oriented to celestial bodies .. most Amerind dwelling's entrances faced the rising sun , for instance.

It's being assumed that the circles at Gobekli tepe are Temples... and maybe they are.. but they may also have had more of a Clan/Political purpose... Or a combination of ritual and other uses .... who knows?

OK, maybe the entrance of the Göbekli Tepe structures is facing the sun, but that is not what you must have meant when you said they were aligned to the heavens, like a megalithic calendar or something.

From the statues and animal carvings you could conclude they were temples for several clans. Who knows indeed?

I just meant that they are most likely aligned to something skyward... the sun.. a star.. the moon.. a planet on a certain day... whatever. Most things were aligned to the heavens .. for one reason or another? I'm just guessing.. also about possible purposes for the structures.

Edited by lightly

I just meant that they are most likely aligned to something skyward... the sun.. a star.. the moon.. a planet on a certain day... whatever. Most things were aligned to the heavens .. for one reason or another? I'm just guessing.. also about possible purposes for the structures.

If it was indeed roofed, then it had nothing to do with an alignment to something in the heavens.

If the Göbekli structures were in fact unroofed, it surely follows they were not houses. Beginning with a structural examination of the pillars, Banning suggests they are placed and buttressed in a manner that would have supported overhead wooden beams, which in turn would have been thatched. There are several hints (ranging from grooves and notches to wood) that this may in fact have been the case, and Banning has sketched one possible layout:

gobekli-tepe-houses-of-the-holy-L-lZJmJB_zpsd977683e.jpg

http://www.unexplain...0

post-18246-0-04286100-1364230466_thumb.j

Edited by Abramelin

"If it was indeed roofed, then it had nothing to do with an alignment to something in the heavens.

Well i dunno .. teepees and hogans are roofed and most of them have their entrances face east.. to the rising sun. A roof wouldn't necessarily make it a house rather than a temple? Many of the mission churches in Central and South America are aligned to solar events

http://freethoughtnation.com/contributing-writers/63-acharya-s/513-archaeologist-american-churches-astronomically-aligned.html

"Ruben G. Mendoza is on a quest for light.

The 54-year old archaeologist and professor of Social and Behavioral Sciences at CSU Monterey Bay is seeking the rarest of lights: Early morning rays of the solstice sun, channeled by a centuries-old alchemy of architecture and astronomy, geometry and awe, into brilliant tabernacle illuminations at California's missions.

It's a complex blend of solar geometry and Franciscan cosmology, says Mendoza, in which churches, windows and altars were laid out in relation to the sun's position on a particular day of the year."

I'm not saying it was a calendar, I'm just saying .. it's likely some aspect of the things are aligned to Something in the sky? More likely than not i'm guessing.

Aligning to the rising sun is not exactly the same as aligning to certain stars or constellations, right?

And why are entrances of teepees and hogans faced east?

So you will wake up by the first rays of the sun?

• Like 1