Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US Joint Chief, "ISIS apocalyptic threat"

Raptor Witness

In a news conference held on August 22, 2014 clearly designed to beat the drums of war, the following comments were made by America's top military officials.

“This is an organization that has an apocalyptic, end-of- days strategic vision and which will eventually have to be defeated,” Chairman of the Joint Chief's Dempsey said. “

“They’re beyond just a terrorist group,” Secretary of Defense Hagel said. “They marry ideology, a sophistication of strategic and tactical military prowess. They are tremendously well-funded.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting choice of words by the chairman. I wonder if he or President Obama truly understand what they are facing.

The next thing we'll be hearing is that mass possession is a phenomena to be reckoned with.

• Like 1

And the Chief Joints of Staff don't have an apocalyptic, end-of-days vision, do they. Remember the days when cuddly ol' Bin L and his loveable gang of rogues at Al Q were the apocalyptic menace the like of which the world has never seen, and so on?

So if they were to attack ISIS, ISIL or TIS in Syria, would that mean they'd be taking Assad's side? :unsure2:

• Like 2

The problem is IS will need to be confronted eventually by someone. If they are not removed as a threat now, they will continue to grow in strength and power. I'd say that they could become the greatest threat in recent memories, simply due to their Religious ideology.

Hopefully the stronger middle eastern nations band together and defeat this threat before it swallows them.

• Like 1

Let's all embrace our inner cowards! :w00t:

ISIS is as dangerous to the US as the Viet Cong was. :no:

• Like 2

And the Chief Joints of Staff don't have an apocalyptic, end-of-days vision, do they. Remember the days when cuddly ol' Bin L and his loveable gang of rogues at Al Q were the apocalyptic menace the like of which the world has never seen, and so on?

So if they were to attack ISIS, ISIL or TIS in Syria, would that mean they'd be taking Assad's side? :unsure2:

Those heady days,remember the war on terror.

Things have come full circle,Parliament voted against military action against Assad last year and now technically any military action by the West in Syria would put them on Assad's team.

Still gives the end of days whacko's something to talk about.

He said the organization has a end of day strategic vision. Which as far as I understand is true about ISIS. Dont they want to set up some holy empire or something?

• Like 2

Does anyone think that the Joint Chief really ought to be puffing on a large cigarette? Perhaps it might do wonders for U.S. foreign policy. :blush:

There is always SOMETHING to be sold to the public.

Mencken observed a century ago that "the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."

Such wisdom we ignore.

And another observation from Mencken, "as soon as we abandon our own reason, and are content to rely upon authority, there is no end to our troubles."

Edited by Babe Ruth
  • Like 3

Mencken observed a century ago that "the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."

That's the thing, there is nothing imaginary about this. Unless of course, you dimissed every single reports about ISIL. They are not concerned about US citizens at this point, that's true, they are fighting to win their Islamic State, to create their own caliphate. But it's only a matter of time, if they manage to establish a strong foothold in the Middle-East. Their rethoric is that America and it's allies are the enemy of every Muslims, infidels that needs to be killed.

Here's a documentary about ISIL, a journalist managed to have authorized access by ISIL for a guided tour of cities under their controls, celebrations, prisons and organization buildings.

I don't know for you, but this looks very real to me.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 2

No one's saying ISIS/ISIL/TIS are completely imaginary, or that they're not a thoroughly unpleasant bunch, it's the apocalyptic rhetoric from our War leaders that's oh so predictable, that they're this great invincible elite force possessing an almost mystical military prowess, like a combination of Genghis Khan's hordes and ninjas.

He said the organization has a end of day strategic vision. Which as far as I understand is true about ISIS. Dont they want to set up some holy empire or something?

They're actually pretty close to accomplishing their goal. The next step is finding their Dark Lord.

They won't have any trouble selling this on FOX News but the rest of the American people are going to roll their eyes.

Evidence of the supernatural is not blowing up the tomb of Jonah, as they did at Mosul, better known as "Nineveh."

If you're going to use religious language to demonize an enemy then you better come up with something better than "they're end time devils."

Does anyone think that the Joint Chief really ought to be puffing on a large cigarette? Perhaps it might do wonders for U.S. foreign policy. :blush:

I think it's illegal to smoke in public buildings in Washington DC. It is here and California (thank goodness)

That's the thing, there is nothing imaginary about this. Unless of course, you dimissed every single reports about ISIL.

LOL! Watch out chicken! I think I just saw and ISIL hiding behind your rose bush with a nuke :gun:

Do you really believe these guys next step on the road to running an Islamic Caliphate is a foolhardy terrorist attack on US soil which will guarantee them much unwanted fatal attention from the not only the USA but pretty much the developed world?

LOL! Watch out chicken! I think I just saw and ISIL hiding behind your rose bush with a nuke :gun:

Do you really believe these guys next step on the road to running an Islamic Caliphate is a foolhardy terrorist attack on US soil which will guarantee them much unwanted fatal attention from the not only the USA but pretty much the developed world?

The problem with that argument is that they thrive on attention and of all the extremist groups who worship the idea martyrdom, they would have to rank at the top.

• Like 1

You missed my point, quite clearly.

Attention is what they want, since their victories on the battlefield and their idealistic sharia-based territories are drawing a certain amount of radical, yet previously hesitant muslims from all over the world to join their ranks. As I mentionned above, they don't care about the Western world at this point, if only to recruit potential djihadists. But in their ideology, Americans and their allies are apostates, infidels which at some point they might be able to fully turn their attention to. That's where the threat is for America. If they do manage they get a strong foothold in the Middle-East and succesfully maintain it, left unhindered it might well become a serious cause for concerns in the future.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

They're actually pretty close to accomplishing their goal. The next step is finding their Dark Lord.

They won't have any trouble selling this on FOX News but the rest of the American people are going to roll their eyes.

Evidence of the supernatural is not blowing up the tomb of Jonah, as they did at Mosul, better known as "Nineveh."

If you're going to use religious language to demonize an enemy then you better come up with something better than "they're end time devils."

I guess I need to clarify

I mean dosent ISIS seem themselves as fulfilling some sort of end of times thing?

Edited by spartan max2

I guess I need to clarify

I mean dosent ISIS seem themselves as fulfilling some sort of end of times thing?

Of course, this religion is still in the Dark Ages. They're a thousand years behind Christianity, and three thousand behind Judaism.

They're lives are so miserable on earth, that Heaven or Hell is viewed as the only option at a life worth living.

The only thing they've gotten right so far, is that killing journalists is far worse than killing Christians.

They can kill thousands of Christians over there and barely make any news, but if they manage to chop off one of those talking heads .... our military has a news conference and begs for public support to to bomb them back to the stone age.

If they manage to get a hold of Bill O'Reilly, there's no telling how many converts they could get.

Edited by Raptor Witness

You missed my point, quite clearly.

Attention is what they want, since their victories on the battlefield and their idealistic sharia-based territories are drawing a certain amount of radical, yet previously hesitant muslims from all over the world to join their ranks. As I mentionned above, they don't care about the Western world at this point, if only to recruit potential djihadists. But in their ideology, Americans and their allies are apostates, infidels which at some point they might be able to fully turn their attention to. That's where the threat is for America. If they do manage they get a strong foothold in the Middle-East and succesfully maintain it, left unhindered it might well become a serious cause for concerns in the future.

Yeah I know it's just that I'm not afraid of Muslim terrorists attacking me. What I am afraid of is inflammatory language about the USA being in imminent danger of a terror attack. Go list the terror attacks since 9-11and recognize the pattern. Incompetent would-be jihadists talked into attempting a lame attack after being encouraged and supplied by the FBI. Doing something that will get their brand spanking new caliphate wiped off the map probably not on the immediate to do list. These stuttering blowhards in the OP vid are just warmongers IMO.
  • Like 3

Of course, this religion is still in the Dark Ages. They're a thousand years behind Christianity, and three thousand behind Judaism.

They're lives are so miserable on earth, that Heaven or Hell is viewed as the only option at a life worth living...

Except that many were born and raised in the west yet choosed to return to 'hell'.

P.S.: Life without Bill O'Reilly would truly be 'heaven'.

• Like 1

They're lives are so miserable on earth, that Heaven or Hell is viewed as the only option at a life worth living.

The only thing they've gotten right so far, is that killing journalists is far worse than killing Christians.

They can kill thousands of Christians over there and barely make any news, but if they manage to chop off one of those talking heads .... our military has a news conference and begs for public support to to bomb them back to the stone age.

If they manage to get a hold of Bill O'Reilly, there's no telling how many converts they could get.

My goodness, for someone criticizing some good old fear mongering, you sure seemed to buy into the anti-Islam propaganda of the last decade.

Anyway. Apocalyptic? Highly doubt it. Though they can certainly be a huge pain in the ass. I hope we stay out of it. To say the country is war weary would be an understatement, and we really need to stop pretending we can fix the world, and let those in the region decide what they want to do about. If their cause spills over towards Asia (not saying it will), I'd be concerned with India's response. Not only are they in a tense state with Pakistan, but they are also a nuclear power.

Yeah I know it's just that I'm not afraid of Muslim terrorists attacking me. What I am afraid of is inflammatory language about the USA being in imminent danger of a terror attack. Go list the terror attacks since 9-11and recognize the pattern. Incompetent would-be jihadists talked into attempting a lame attack after being encouraged and supplied by the FBI. Doing something that will get their brand spanking new caliphate wiped off the map probably not on the immediate to do list. These stuttering blowhards in the OP vid are just warmongers IMO.

Exactly, that's always been the way, whoever the current enemy du jour is (and they're usually someone whose origin we can trace thanks to our insatiable desire to influence things in the world the way that suits us), they always haveto be the greatest menace civilisation has ever faced. Saddam was the New Hitler who wouldn't stop until he had the whole Middle East under his iron heel; then he was the New Hitler who was building up stocks of Weapons of Mass Destruction and was about to launch an attack on Britain and the U.S. at any moment. Then along came O b L, who did at least have a claim to the title of Monster du Jour, but what was said about Al Q was almost exactly what's now being said about TIS; they're utterly deranged fanatics who won't stop until they've destroyed Western civilization and force us all to bow down to Sharia law, and they were a completely different proposition to any previous Terrorist group since they were so well funded and driven by an utterly ruthless fanaticism. And then Assad was the great monster who was using sarin gas on his own people (and we'll ignore any evidence that suggests that it may have been the Rebels that did that), so we have to support the Rebels (ignoring that a significant proportion of them are supported by the aforementioned Al Q, and now TIS ). And meanwhile, Iran has always been lurking like a monstrous shadow in he background, building up their Nuclear weapon program and just waiting for the chance to Destroy Israel because they're utterly deranged and fanatical.
  • Like 2

Depends on how much they really believe doing so will help usher in their muslim messiah.

Well said, America constantly needs a bogey man to justify their agenda... unfortunately for Assad, he is not part of that agenda. So what's stopping the USA from attacking ISIS?

Well said, America constantly needs a bogey man to justify their agenda... unfortunately for Assad, he is not part of that agenda. So what's stopping the USA from attacking ISIS?

At the very least, mutual interests. Including war with Syria. I think the goverment likes the idea of erradicating Christianity in the ME as well. They already tryed to silence Christianity in our own military. Public backlash was the only thing that stopped that.