Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Using a Ouija board

Bling

Have you ever used a Ouija board? If so what were your experiences? Would you recommend using a Ouija board to try to communicate with the spirit world or is it a definate 'no no'? Can any harm or good come from a novice experimenting with a Ouija board?

• Like 1

I'll be interested to see what other people's experiences have been. As for me, I've always been too afraid to try using a Ouija board. See, when I was 6 or 7, my sister told me it was "bad", and that stuck in my mind. As I grew older, I read some scary stories about them on the internet. Mostly, though, my friends who have tried it have said it's harmless.

I'll be interested to see what other people's experiences have been. As for me, I've always been too afraid to try using a Ouija board. See, when I was 6 or 7, my sister told me it was "bad", and that stuck in my mind. As I grew older, I read some scary stories about them on the internet. Mostly, though, my friends who have tried it have said it's harmless.

Yes I've heard bad things - it can summon demons etc, and I've also heard it's a load of nonsense.

We shall see what the experts say....

It's a toy that use a well know motor effect. It doesn't call demons, ghosts, or Irish people. It cannot "invite evil" into your home and NOTHING bad will come from using one. (Unless you're already mentally unbalanced enough to be susceptible to such flimflammery.)

I challenge any one of you that disagrees with this (and there will be many) to prove otherwise. Go contact Houdini or Einstein. Go summon up a demon or ghost. (Something Sakari's thread has shown us is quite impossible to do.) Have fun being disappointed.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 2

Oh man I miss that show!

I used a Ouija the Parker Bros kind when I was in high school with my sister and her guy friend. She was in jr high or something I don't know. Anyway the thing moves but it is nothing more than the ideomotor effect imo.

• Like 2

Well I'm sorry that as a relatively new member I wanted to ask my own questions about this subject and not just rake up old threads. Just because something has been discussed in the past does not mean it can never be discussed again!

• Like 6

Well I'm sorry that as a relatively new member I wanted to ask my own questions about this subject and not just rake up old threads. Just because something has been discussed in the past does not mean it can never be discussed again!

I think he was just providing some links with some info for your benefit rather than trying to come off mean. I wouldn't take it personally. :tu:

• Like 1

I think he was just providing some links with some info for your benefit rather than trying to come off mean. I wouldn't take it personally. :tu:

Don't worry I won't! ;)

Edited by Bling

I don't remember if I've ever responded to those other threads (I usually don't) but I used one once. Probably 30 years ago now, though I cannot accurately recall. Nothing happened. Mostly because my friend and I who were using it kept accusing the other of moving the planchette.

• Like 2

Just make sure to look up the rules of protection before you start using one. Never let the planchette take itself backwards from the 10 down to 0 and pass as that is supposed to allow entry into this world to whatever you're communicating with.

We made a home made board about 6 months ago and I was so glad I looked up the rules because who ever we had contacted tried so many tricks not to leave or break out and boy can the planchette fly when you least expect it.

Also we did besides nonsense get some info which we had forgotten about until recently when 2 of the things happened, not exactly in the spots we were told but close enough. One was about my son and his friend and another person were meant to crash the car he was driving with the other person dying and the boys ending up in hospital for months. My ex got my son a car 8 weeks ago and he didn't know about the description given off the board of the car but my son just had a major accident the 3rd party I stopped them going at the last minute and the whole back of the car was smashed in, actually the whole car was written off. Our neighbour who used to be a cop looked at the car and said the boys shouldn't have walked away from that accident yet by a miracle they did without even a scratch on them. The car also perfectly matched the description we were given.

I truly believe it depends on if you have the ability to use the board, we all have talents or sometimes curses, some people can sing or draw or others can work with the spirit world. The board is working with a very low level of energy though.

• Like 1

Don't worry too much about the "protection rules" there isn't a single credible isntance of anyone coming to harm over playing this "game", lawn darts has claimed far more innocent lives and probably GI Joe guys too, swallowing the small bits etc. (Oh I left out the snoopy snow cone machine ...it has a built in razor blade...scary stuff)

I have used an "authentic" board with a couple of college friends way back when, abit of movement...ideometer effect nothing more.

• Like 3

You don't need an authentic board, I've used them before as well. It's all about the link you achieve.

So we just happened to make up a story all those months ago that happened to come true with correct descriptions?

Anyway, here's a link to some important tips, this guy mentions saying goodbye at the end of use. We do it each time a spirit comes through, and especially if we want to get it to move on because it freely admits it's bad and starts playing up.

http://parabook.wordpress.com/2008/06/09/the-safe-way-to-use-a-ouija-board/

• Like 1

Tia, it's called RNG (random number generator) such is life, everthing in your story sounded like coincidental events.

Anyways, "spririt" boards while an old concept are pretty much just a game. If demonic possession, devil attacks and the like were even SOMEWHAT common, I highly doubt reputeable game companies would produce them and stores like Toys-R-Us would carry them. (Then again they did carry lawn darts back in the day!)

Edited by CakeOrDeath

You don't need an authentic board, I've used them before as well. It's all about the link you achieve.

So we just happened to make up a story all those months ago that happened to come true with correct descriptions?

Anyway, here's a link to some important tips, this guy mentions saying goodbye at the end of use. We do it each time a spirit comes through, and especially if we want to get it to move on because it freely admits it's bad and starts playing up.

http://parabook.word...-a-ouija-board/

Thanks for that Tia, I've bookmarked it. The Ouija board arrived today and we're thinking of using it this weekend and will record our session on a night vision camcorder.

Well I have a board somewhere in the house. I've maybe tried using it once or twice right after I got it but had no response/Ideomotor effect - so kinda put it away and I haven't really thought about it since.

I honestly don't believe all the stories that the board is evil and you could conjure demons with it etc.

To me it's no different than when paranormal investigators/ghost hunters go to allegedly haunted places and ask for spirits to communicate - it's the same questions, the same motives (curiosity as to what lies beyond death and whether or not spirits do exist) it's just different media.

It just seems that looking for EVP in a pseudo scientific way (I'm not saying the field isn't trying to be scientific, but I've done my fair share of work with paranormal groups and at least some of them are distinctly unscientific) is perceived as less dangerous than some mystical "game" with a board and conjuring up all kinds of spirits.

BUT if your the slightest bit worried that something will happen, then why take the chance? If spirits aren't real then most likely nothing will happen or maybe you'll end up being very paranoid because you believe they are real.

If they do exist you either have a nice chat with a couple of them or end up leaving a door open for anything or anyone to walk through. Not really worth it if you just want to have some fun, so unless you are very into trying to communicate with the dead you might want to reconsider.

When people ask me if it's okay to use the board and whether or not it's dangerous I generally tell them not to play with it, the same goes for ghost hunting, EVP sessions etc. Why? Because they mainly end up freaking themselves out and really freaked out people tend to make bad and potentially hazardous decisions for themselves - such as running in an abandoned building with holes in the floors or believing that the board "told" them they were going to die so they simply resign themselves to that "fate".

I'd say that the general rule of thumb when it comes to the paranormal (as with most stuff) is "if in doubt, don't!"

Well I have a board somewhere in the house. I've maybe tried using it once or twice right after I got it but had no response/Ideomotor effect - so kinda put it away and I haven't really thought about it since.

I honestly don't believe all the stories that the board is evil and you could conjure demons with it etc.

To me it's no different than when paranormal investigators/ghost hunters go to allegedly haunted places and ask for spirits to communicate - it's the same questions, the same motives (curiosity as to what lies beyond death and whether or not spirits do exist) it's just different media.

It just seems that looking for EVP in a pseudo scientific way (I'm not saying the field isn't trying to be scientific, but I've done my fair share of work with paranormal groups and at least some of them are distinctly unscientific) is perceived as less dangerous than some mystical "game" with a board and conjuring up all kinds of spirits.

BUT if your the slightest bit worried that something will happen, then why take the chance? If spirits aren't real then most likely nothing will happen or maybe you'll end up being very paranoid because you believe they are real.

If they do exist you either have a nice chat with a couple of them or end up leaving a door open for anything or anyone to walk through. Not really worth it if you just want to have some fun, so unless you are very into trying to communicate with the dead you might want to reconsider.

When people ask me if it's okay to use the board and whether or not it's dangerous I generally tell them not to play with it, the same goes for ghost hunting, EVP sessions etc. Why? Because they mainly end up freaking themselves out and really freaked out people tend to make bad and potentially hazardous decisions for themselves - such as running in an abandoned building with holes in the floors or believing that the board "told" them they were going to die so they simply resign themselves to that "fate".

I'd say that the general rule of thumb when it comes to the paranormal (as with most stuff) is "if in doubt, don't!"

Thanks and welcome to UM! I'm not scared about summoning anything evil as I don't believe those things exist, but I am interested in others views and experiences of using a Ouija board. I'm not easliy spooked so I think I'll be okay.

Hi Bling,

Years ago when I was about 12-13 a friend and I made a board and had a go at summoning someone/anyone..

It was very freaky because it worked basically strait away. My finger was on the glass, so was his, and we ended up calling his dead father who conveyed things that I didn't know, and only my friend could make sense of..

Things got very emotional after that. My friend got very upset and accused me of moving the glass and spelling out the words. And when I say upset, I mean very upset. The thing is, I know it wasnt me moving the glass. I know he wouldn't do it either to purposely get himself in such an emotional state..

It took me more than half an hour to calm him down and get him back to the board to close the session..

I havn't touched anything like that since..

If you do have any sucess.. Just remember, that invitations for visitors to come into your home are fine, but when done, you must tell them to leave... Dont leave doors open.

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 2

Hi Bling,

Years ago when I was about 12-13 a friend and I made a board and had a go at summoning someone/anyone..

It was very freaky because it worked basically strait away. My finger was on the glass, so was his, and we ended up calling his dead father who conveyed things that I didn't know, and only my friend could make sense of..

Things got very emotional after that. My friend got very upset and accused me of moving the glass and spelling out the words. And when I say upset, I mean very upset. The thing is, I know it wasnt me moving the glass. I know he wouldn't do it either to purposely get himself in such an emotional state..

It took me more than half an hour to calm him down and get him back to the board to close the session..

I havn't touched anything like that since..

If you do have any sucess.. Just remember, that invitations for visitors to come into your home are fine, but when done, you must tell them to leave... Dont leave doors open.

Thanks! I'm going to read more about the closing thingy before I do anything. I'm open minded enough to believe anything could happen as I've heard plenty of stories from people where they have experienced something during a ouija board session.

• Like 1

Thanks! I'm going to read more about the closing thingy before I do anything. I'm open minded enough to believe anything could happen as I've heard plenty of stories from people where they have experienced something during a ouija board session.

As far as I can remember, I just said "leave you are no longer welcome here in this house." and then moved the glass to "goodbye"

But yes, do some research first..

I dunno about a brought board though? Is just a thought, but I think one that isn't made or crafted by the user would have the same effect or potency?

i never tried it as an adult i think its very hard to get workin for real without someone that has some real powerful energy