Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Mysterious Egyptian Tri-Lobed Disc

• Please log in to reply
580 replies to this topic

#541    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

• If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

But sesh it is not necessary for a hauling mechanism to have only four wheels and two axles it can have multiple axles and wheels  to distribute any given amount of weight. And far as my knowledge of physics goes hauling huge heavy rocks over a dry surface will be easier by using a platform of wheels and axles then using sledges and lubrication.Dragging a sledge carrying huge loads in sand is surely a very painful ordeal.

#542    Quaentum

Quaentum

Psychic Spy

• 1,767 posts

• The number of fringe believers is inversely proportional to what is left to discover in our world.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:07 PM

Yet there is evidence they did use sledges

Posted Image

AA LOGIC
They didn't use thousands of workers - oops forgot about the work camps
There's no evidence for ramps - You found one?...Bummer
Well we know they didn't use ancient tools to cut and shape the stones - Chisel marks?  Craps
I still say aliens built them!

#543    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,739 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

There are indeed so  many pictographical evidences of sledges being used, but never ever a chain pulley mechanism.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#544    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

• If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

have seen the pictographs where they show the use of sledges but i wonder why they wouldn't use wheels.............also spartan is there any pictographic evidence of how they lifted heavy objects?

#545    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,739 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

Quarries of Balatai Plate 66-68

Posted Image

The statue is hauled out of the quarry plate 63-64

Posted Image

Further Transport plate 54-56

Posted Image

Aint those all SLEDGES??

Edit to Add : unless, cladking prefers to  disagree.  (yep. he is lurking in here). Remember Cladking, No Geysers. If you  utter the world Geysers , i will set free my  attack dobermans on you for sure.

Edited by The_Spartan, 08 August 2012 - 06:53 PM.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

#546    Quaentum

Quaentum

Psychic Spy

• 1,767 posts

• The number of fringe believers is inversely proportional to what is left to discover in our world.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 08 August 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

have seen the pictographs where they show the use of sledges but i wonder why they wouldn't use wheels.............also spartan is there any pictographic evidence of how they lifted heavy objects?

I'm not an expert in anything but this is why I see them as not using wheels.

The weight of the stone being moved would tend to push the wheels into the sand eventually bogging the whole thing down, requiring them to offload the stone get the cart out of the sand and reload the cart and then maybe have to do it several more times before it reached it's destination.  That is because there is relatively little area of each wheel that touches the sand.  A sledge, on the other hand, has a much greater surface area and would be less prone to getting bogged down.

AA LOGIC
They didn't use thousands of workers - oops forgot about the work camps
There's no evidence for ramps - You found one?...Bummer
Well we know they didn't use ancient tools to cut and shape the stones - Chisel marks?  Craps
I still say aliens built them!

#547    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,739 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 08 August 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

I would suggest you  to visit the following link which is so detailed

http://www.cheops-py...d-building.html

#548    cladking

cladking

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,068 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostThe_Spartan, on 08 August 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

unless, cladking prefers to  disagree.  

Congratulations!

You've solved a question that wasn't asked and isn't relevant.

But we now know how they moved massive weights in 700 BC.

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

#549    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 4,134 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

All though modern ,Looks similer to the disks the chinese were buried with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi_(jade)

Posted Image

Edited by docyabut2, 08 August 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#550    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,122 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 08 August 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

But sesh it is not necessary for a hauling mechanism to have only four wheels and two axles it can have multiple axles and wheels  to distribute any given amount of weight. And far as my knowledge of physics goes hauling huge heavy rocks over a dry surface will be easier by using a platform of wheels and axles then using sledges and lubrication.Dragging a sledge carrying huge loads in sand is surely a very painful ordeal.

If such a contrivance was used, there is no evidence for it. We have to go by extant evidence. While a mechanism with many wheels is unlikely, we know sledges were often hauled over timber rollers. There are depictions post-dating the Old Kingdom showing the moving of colossal objects such as the statue in the well-known Deir el Bersha depiction, and accompanying the workmen are men hauling rollers (in the link, see the group of men carrying the large timber roller below the left-corner of the statue base). Moreover, several ramp footings which have been excavated, including the large one at Khufu's pyramid complex, have yielded the remains of timber rollers. So we have evidence both pictorial and archaeological.

In one of Mark Lehner's experiential activities, which became the TV special This Old Pyramid, local Egyptian men were recruited to try out different ways of hauling stones the same size as those in the Great Pyramid. Their greatest success was in using the very method we're discussing: a block of masonry on a wooden sledge with timber rollers underneath. With men pulling from the front and others levering from the rear, a team of around a dozen had no problem hauling and maneuvering these blocks. This includes up inclines to approximate ramps. It was impressive to watch.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#551    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 4,134 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

gee guys wheels would have never held those ton stones. kmt right they wheel them on grease logs.

#552    blackdogsun

blackdogsun

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

This Old Pyramid -

#553    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,122 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:50 AM

That's the one, blackdogsun. It's a fun video to watch. One of Lehner's strengths is his interest in experiential archaeology.

At about 33:00 in the video, the team shows not only how easy it would've been to haul stones on sledges, but also how the Egyptians might have negotiated the stones around the angles of the rising pyramid. Interesting stuff.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#554    pug-unex

pug-unex

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

Hi.
I just watched 3 episodes of "The Pyramid Code" that I'd DVR'd earlier and was compelled to search for potential explanations regarding the "Tri-Lobed Disc".
I found this forum during that brief search and spent pretty much of the last 3 hours reading/scanning thru this thread. I, mostly, was looking for any theory that
would've come close to the one that I had developed while watching the episode that dealt with the mysterious disk, but other than Eldorado's "handles to turn a wheel"
theory, none have come that close to what I was thinking...

Keeping in mind that, as has seemed (both here, and to me) to be deemed the consensus of opinion that the disk is "somewhat fragile", but also bears some weight,
I'm inclined to respectfully disagree with those of you who believe that it couldn't be used mechanically, as a part of some larger mechanism.

Think of how a spool is wound, or the "bobbin" of a sewing machine(?)... and try to envision how the "handles" could be used to turn this disk that would ride back-and-forth along a thin wooden dowel... gently, but firmly, spooling thread onto it... the "lobes" advancing the coil of thread just past the center core of the disk with each "passing" (maybe in an up/down motion, but more likely a side-to-side configuration). The lobes wouldn't have to be very strong, but will have had to have had smooth edges to prevent any snagging of the delicate thread being spooled. The weight of the disk would seemingly ensure a more precise and "taut" winding action easily controlled by the "winder's" manipulations.

Expressed earlier in the thread, I saw mention of the possibility that this disk could have been used as a "form" to make a more sturdy version of itself (a casting). However, in the case of my theory, and if it would then have been expected to wind heavier rope, the central "core-hole" would have to be much larger to accommodate the bulkier spooling of media with greater thickness. And, giving that the piece seems to be a "one-of-a-kind find" (surviving when it's metal "counterparts" haven't been found), it would seem that the disk in it's stone-form is indeed a "final product".

Exactly how it managed to wind the thread onto the dowel is another thing to imagine, as additional parts of the mechanism would've been required to provide some space between the disk and the receiving rod.

Just my .02.  :)

... and if that isn't how it was used... it was one level of a "multi-level water fountain".    ;)

Great thread &
thanks for reading,
Pug

#555    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,668 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

I came looking for this thread hoping some Sherlock had solved the case.  It's still mighty interesting, in my opinion.  And much better than year after year of the same chatter about ramps and sledges etc.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users