Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beyond: Two Souls (2013)

MysteryMike

This is a upcoming game for the PS3 from the creators of Heavy Rain.

Beyond-two-souls.jpg

Beyond: Two Souls is an upcoming interactive drama action-adventure video game for the PlayStation 3 console, under development by French developer Quantic Dream. It stars actors Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, and is set for release on 8 October 2013 in North America, 9 October 2013 in Australia and 11 October 2013 in Europe.

Plot

The game, which features psychological, spiritual and thriller elements, is centered around questions about what happens after death. The game lets the player take Jodie Holmes through 15 years of her life (ages 8 through 23) on a journey to discover the true meaning of the entity Aiden, who has been alongside her throughout her life. The game's producer noted that players might be able to find out "what lies beyond" after playing it.

Edited by MysteryMike
  • Like 1

pretty awesome trailer

Beyond: Two Souls is an upcoming interactive drama

...doesn't that describe all modern games? "Interactive movies" - the actual play time is less than 15 hours

Ellen Page was pretty p***ed off about the girl In The Last Of Us looking so much like her, they actually used a girl model and weren't even thinking about Ellen Page

...doesn't that describe all modern games? "Interactive movies" - the actual play time is less than 15 hours

I remember when I first popped in Call Of Duty and the campaign was over in like 3 hours, I was so MAD.

I remember when I first popped in Call Of Duty and the campaign was over in like 3 hours, I was so MAD.

Ugh tell me about it! I'm not trying to be cynical, but it seems like developers are all about the cash and not about the games. Pretty much every hyped-up game I've played since 2009ish, has been a series of cutscenes with short playable levels inbetween to pad it out. My guess is that they make "games" that way because it's cheaper to produce. The more the game is like a movie, the less work there is on the developers end.

Moral of the story: it's pure laziness. Sometimes I wonder if it's just my generation, having grown up being used to sinking 40+ hours into the main story. Bah. Getting older sucks lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that games do seem to be getting shorter and shorter but the price always remains the same, funny that. Really looking forward to this game. I remember reading Ellen page having a small dig at The last of Us and the resemblance is uncanny. I heard they made up over twitter however lol ^^

Ugh tell me about it! I'm not trying to be cynical, but it seems like developers are all about the cash and not about the games. Pretty much every hyped-up game I've played since 2009ish, has been a series of cutscenes with short playable levels inbetween to pad it out. My guess is that they make "games" that way because it's cheaper to produce. The more the game is like a movie, the less work there is on the developers end.

Moral of the story: it's pure laziness. Sometimes I wonder if it's just my generation, having grown up being used to sinking 40+ hours into the main story. Bah. Getting older sucks lol

I'm with you man, video games are becoming incredibly short, and depending on what type of game it is your pretty much getting ripped off. I mean a lot of games now are playable online so I think the deal with that call of duty game is that there mostly meant to be played online. But that by no means, should mean that the campaigns should only be 4 hours long!. Hell I remember playing games like Final Fantasy 7 for months, you had to put in hours on those games.

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x

I agree that games do seem to be getting shorter and shorter but the price always remains the same, funny that. Really looking forward to this game. I remember reading Ellen page having a small dig at The last of Us and the resemblance is uncanny. I heard they made up over twitter however lol ^^

Makes me wonder if Ellen Page isn't getting to full of herself

I'm a big fan of Quantic Dream's games so I'm looking forward to Beyond. Their games are a nice change of pace from the usual. Indigo Prophecy on PS2 (I think it was called Fahrenheit outside the US) and Heavy Rain on PS3 were both very cool, though somewhat flawed.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In review this is a fantastic game that is extremely unique. Only 3 real complains 1 being that you can't fail or die like in heavy rain but this is also a huge benefit for it changes the story no matter what the action. Their is one level in particular that just seems dragged and an not even necessary to all who play this is the "Navaho" level. My final complain but more of an opinion is the game went from being strictly emotional drama to more of a scifi game at the end. Defiantly worth picking up each moment is something that is experience in life but never actually told or talked about.

Actually, most people like myself buy games for the multiplayer experience. I have been a huge fan of the Battlefield series since the first one (Battlefield 1942) back in 2002. Battlefield 4 just released, and in the 2 years before that I played Battlefield 3 for about 700 hours. Worth $60 easily, and never have the same experience twice. Multiplayer is the future, with the PS4 out now with Battlefield 4, 64 player matches, and constant DLC being released, $60 for endless entertainment is cheaper than a night at the bar.

In review this is a fantastic game that is extremely unique. Only 3 real complains 1 being that you can't fail or die like in heavy rain but this is also a huge benefit for it changes the story no matter what the action. Their is one level in particular that just seems dragged and an not even necessary to all who play this is the "Navaho" level. My final complain but more of an opinion is the game went from being strictly emotional drama to more of a scifi game at the end. Defiantly worth picking up each moment is something that is experience in life but never actually told or talked about.

But this is why multiplayer is failing in general. The game industry by enhancing multiplayer is actually killing itself. With your example you played over 700 hours on a game which you paid probably $120 for (game and premium). meaning they got payed basically nothing for the game considering the time you played. The reason this matters is how many times did you consider buying a new game but didn't because you were so entertained with the one you already have. I know I have quiet a bit. This is where they really start loosing money with less games sold. For me I play a variety of games for different experiences and different false realities. A good game should have a campaign or story line that is intriguing and that will make you want to reexsperance playing it. Meaning it is replay able but developers are still making money because they release several good titles. If multiplayer stays where it is such as in your case and many like your developers will loose enough money where rather the game costing anything they will start charging subscriptions so they are constantly and forever making money from it. Don't believe me this is exactly what happened to a lot of online computer gaming. I fear it will soon happen to all consoles too.

But this is why multiplayer is failing in general. The game industry by enhancing multiplayer is actually killing itself.

I bet devs are making truckloads of cash from multiplayer.

DLC

DLC

and

DLC.

"The online world is competitive place - but how you can be the best when you don't have the best gear? $4.99 will get you this limited edition machine gun with extra killing power!"

Devs regularly use the online-only platform to peddle their nickle-and-dime gear, or sell you the rest of the game you've already paid for.

The way games are made now is combination of what gamer's have been demanding and what the dev's do to cut production costs. "Gaming" has been given the business-model treatment for quite some time now.

• 3 weeks later...

So many great exclusive games for PS3

No PC version i guess?