Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Orb on camera in daylight

Crystal Rose

So my coworker took a few pictures while she was out in the wilderness and thought she would take pictures of how pretty the sunlight was. This orb showed up in two of her pictures. Take a close look at the zoomed in photo of one.

I wonder if anyone else will see it....

Btw this was Not Photoshopped. She and I don't have access to the program nor does she know how to use it.

post-128711-0-35360500-1443886582_thumb.

post-128711-0-73977100-1443886591_thumb.

post-128711-0-03403100-1443886604_thumb.

• Like 1

Lens flare.

Agreed, it's definitely lens flare with the first two images, commonly created by shooting towards the sun. The third image may have illuminated a piece of dust or particulate very close to the lens.

Edited by evp
  • Like 2

what he said or someone reflecting a mirror

I disagree. Lens flares most often are directly lined up with the source of light, while there is a vertical one which is apparent. But the orb is not lined up in any way to the sun plus it seems to be a source of light. If you see in the second posted there seems to be a flare based off the orb and not the sun. Plus why would in move within 30 seconds?

And no one was out there but her. And her boyfriend who was a ways behind her. And who would bring a mirror out to the wilderness?

:huh:

And I will say again that the zoomed in picture is of the first posted. Just zoomed in. I see something really interesting, but apparently no one else does.

Edited by Crystal Rose

I see it!! its really interesting....its a smilie: here is a clearer pic:

smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-030.gif

Apart from that bit of interestism, its a lens flare. :tu:

• Like 8

I have a camera that takes orbs and one that doesn't. It is the difference in the optics. I know why, but I am not telling, because I was told those cameras that take orbs are worth some bucks on Ebay. I am going to take it out and do some orb pictures and put it up for sale, so I can go to my class reunion. ;)

• Like 3

I disagree. Lens flares most often are directly lined up with the source of light, while there is a vertical one which is apparent. But the orb is not lined up in any way to the sun plus it seems to be a source of light. If you see in the second posted there seems to be a flare based off the orb and not the sun. Plus why would in move within 30 seconds?

And no one was out there but her. And her boyfriend who was a ways behind her. And who would bring a mirror out to the wilderness?

:huh:

And I will say again that the zoomed in picture is of the first posted. Just zoomed in. I see something really interesting, but apparently no one else does.

Crystal, I use professional camera equipment and have shot over 100,000 images. I regularly shoot towards the sun for this very effect.

Here's the definition of lens flare:

A stray patch of brightness in a photographic image resulting from aberrant refractions or reflections within the lens due to an exceptionally bright light source, sometimes one just outside the image proper. Lens flare is usually unwanted, but can be exploited for artistic effect.

Here's another perfect example of lens flare and it's evident how the camera is pointed towards the sun. Some of the flare can be reduced by positioning of the lens in relationship to the sun and using a lens hood. Also, stopping up the lens past F11 with many aperture blades can produce a starburst effect and create different levels of "lens flare".

lensflare.jpg

Edited by evp
  • Like 5

Seen this before, you have managed to capture Pack man with his mouth shut!

Edited by Lucas Cooper Merrin
  • Like 4

First two definitely sun, third dust pollen or other airborne debris

First two definitely sun, third dust pollen or other airborne debris

That's what I thought, but the third one is a close up of the first one. So more hot sun-on-lens action.

• Like 2

lens flare - lens flare, that way people don't have to think

about it being something else !!!

• Like 2

Crystal, I use professional camera equipment and have shot over 100,000 images. I regularly shoot towards the sun for this very effect.

Here's the definition of lens flare:

A stray patch of brightness in a photographic image resulting from aberrant refractions or reflections within the lens due to an exceptionally bright light source, sometimes one just outside the image proper. Lens flare is usually unwanted, but can be exploited for artistic effect.

Here's another perfect example of lens flare and it's evident how the camera is pointed towards the sun. Some of the flare can be reduced by positioning of the lens in relationship to the sun and using a lens hood. Also, stopping up the lens past F11 with many aperture blades can produce a starburst effect and create different levels of "lens flare".

lensflare.jpg

Okay again this picture shows the flares lined directly up to the sun in my friend's picture it isn't. (Nice to know though thanks) don't get me wrong, I'm ready to accept it is lens flare, but the eyes in the one picture makes me wonder.... and other things like how definite it is, cause it isn't blurry like a flare.

• Like 1

i think it is a very interesting looking orb .... ( it looks actually cute lol ) but i have a question for people with experience with cameras ... when you put a camera on a tripod and you shoot lets say ten pictures back to back ( inside, without sun or away from any light source ) why do these orbs appear on sometimes only on one or two pictures ( and not followed in order )? i tried this several times . what i try to say is , if it is dust particle why doesnt it show on every picture ?

• Like 1

i think it is a very interesting looking orb .... ( it looks actually cute lol ) but i have a question for people with experience with cameras ... when you put a camera on a tripod and you shoot lets say ten pictures back to back ( inside, without sun or away from any light source ) why do these orbs appear on sometimes only on one or two pictures ( and not followed in order )? i tried this several times . what i try to say is , if it is dust particle why doesnt it show on every picture ?

Because, the majority of the time, people are using a lower quality camera with the lens directly below the flash. What you are seeing is illuminated dust in front of the lens. If you use off camera flash, the particulate virtually disappears. If you were to use time lapse where you're keeping the shutter open for longer periods of time (30 seconds plus) by drawing natural light you will not see any orbs whatsoever. If someone was to walk into the frame and stand there for a few seconds and walk back out, the person would also appear transparent.

Edited by evp
  • Like 3

Okay again this picture shows the flares lined directly up to the sun in my friend's picture it isn't. (Nice to know though thanks) don't get me wrong, I'm ready to accept it is lens flare, but the eyes in the one picture makes me wonder.... and other things like how definite it is, cause it isn't blurry like a flare.

Here's another example Crystal. I'm not shooting directly into the sun, instead I've framed it in the corner. I removed the lens hood because I wanted to do a long exposure to smooth the water out. This exposure was 59 seconds in broad daylight. There is increased lens flare here because I have two filters stacked on top of each other (one to balance the sky and the other to allow the long exposure). The possibility of increased flare occurs because of the 2 extra filters filters being added which allows the light to bounce within the lens. Also with the lens hood removed, it give additional opportunity.

example.jpg

• Like 4

Eyes? you mean as in "imagination" eyes?

What do you think it is?

Here's another example Crystal. I'm not shooting directly into the sun, instead I've framed it in the corner. I removed the lens hood because I wanted to do a long exposure to smooth the water out. This exposure was 59 seconds in broad daylight. There is increased lens flare here because I have two filters stacked on top of each other (one to balance the sky and the other to allow the long exposure). The possibility of increased flare occurs because of the 2 extra filters filters being added which allows the light to bounce within the lens. Also with the lens hood removed, it give additional opportunity.

example.jpg

this picture is awesome ...

• Like 5

I disagree.

Well, Likely Guy and evp, like all the others who agreed, were both exactly right.. and you'd be wrong. 100% wrong.

Lens flares most often are directly lined up with the source of light

In fact they are mostly radially symmetric.. but as you said, that is MOST of them (including, funnily enough, your examples). Not all, and some flare effects are not aligned in any obvious way to the source of the flare.

...there is a vertical one which is apparent.

That effect may be a type of lens flare (diffraction effects, or even bad lens quality/design, or smeared from poor cleaning), but it may simply be sensor drain blooming, where the overloaded sensors 'dump' into adjoining sensors, either vertically or horizontally depending on the sensor design. There are MANY different effects that are commonly (mis)labeled as 'flares'.

But the orb is not lined up in any way to the sun

What? Of course it is! Please refer to the following annotated image (and you can apply the same analysis to the other image..). The yellow lines show how to determine the rough radial centre of the image, and the equal-length red lines show that the flare and sun are aligned and perfectly symmetrical. That radial symmetry occurs because.. well.. lenses are round.... Interestingly, this lens is quite well centred - many cheap lenses are a bit skewed..

post-95887-0-68764400-1443963816_thumb.j

plus it seems to be a source of light.

??? Why, because it is brighter than the background? If it wasn't you wouldn't see it... This really sounds like you *want* it to be other worldly...

If you see in the second posted there seems to be a flare based off the orb and not the sun.

Again, refer to my image. The flares in both images are exactly where they should be...

Plus why would in move within 30 seconds?

Because the camera/lens moved so the flare, being generated by that lens, also moved relative to the Sun and the background.. It moved geometrically, exactly as it must do.. And anyone who takes images into the sun *especially* on cheap lenses, will see lots of flares....

And no one was out there but her. And her boyfriend who was a ways behind her. And who would bring a mirror out to the wilderness? :huh:

There is no reason to twist yourself into knots trying to come up with strange scenarios, when basic photographic knowledge is quite readily available.

I see something really interesting, but apparently no one else does.

... with quite good reason, as it happens.

but the eyes in the one picture makes me wonder.... and other things like how definite it is, cause it isn't blurry like a flare.

evp gave you an excellent example showing some flares that look quite blurry, and others are sharp edged. The image you supplied has several blobs and spots on it from poor lens design and/or dirt on the lens.. AND those effects are made much worse by jpeg compression artefacts and built in contrast-enhancement (both of which are the hallmarks of a low quality camera..)

Now, do you still disagree? And will you be thanking those who have explained the effects and given examples?

• Like 8

Well, Likely Guy and evp, like all the others who agreed, were both exactly right.. and you'd be wrong. 100% wrong.

In fact they are mostly radially symmetric.. but as you said, that is MOST of them (including, funnily enough, your examples). Not all, and some flare effects are not aligned in any obvious way to the source of the flare.

That effect may be a type of lens flare (diffraction effects, or even bad lens quality/design, or smeared from poor cleaning), but it may simply be sensor drain blooming, where the overloaded sensors 'dump' into adjoining sensors, either vertically or horizontally depending on the sensor design. There are MANY different effects that are commonly (mis)labeled as 'flares'.

What? Of course it is! Please refer to the following annotated image (and you can apply the same analysis to the other image..). The yellow lines show how to determine the rough radial centre of the image, and the equal-length red lines show that the flare and sun are aligned and perfectly symmetrical. That radial symmetry occurs because.. well.. lenses are round.... Interestingly, this lens is quite well centred - many cheap lenses are a bit skewed..

post-95887-0-68764400-1443963816_thumb.j

??? Why, because it is brighter than the background? If it wasn't you wouldn't see it... This really sounds like you *want* it to be other worldly...

Again, refer to my image. The flares in both images are exactly where they should be...

Because the camera/lens moved so the flare, being generated by that lens, also moved relative to the Sun and the background.. It moved geometrically, exactly as it must do.. And anyone who takes images into the sun *especially* on cheap lenses, will see lots of flares....

There is no reason to twist yourself into knots trying to come up with strange scenarios, when basic photographic knowledge is quite readily available.

... with quite good reason, as it happens.

evp gave you an excellent example showing some flares that look quite blurry, and others are sharp edged. The image you supplied has several blobs and spots on it from poor lens design and/or dirt on the lens.. AND those effects are made much worse by jpeg compression artefacts and built in contrast-enhancement (both of which are the hallmarks of a low quality camera..)

Now, do you still disagree? And will you be thanking those who have explained the effects and given examples?

Okay it is really annoying that you literally take all my words and twist them. Seriously, come up with some evidence to support your words instead of copying all of mine to make your point. Every time you point out something frivolous, I get bored and annoyed with your little announcements of what I say is wrong.

Anyways thank you everyone else, (except for the smart alecks)

Btw evp, phenomenal and breathtaking picture!

• Like 1

ORB = Often Reported BS

• Like 3

Okay it is really annoying that you literally take all my words and twist them.

I QUOTED and addressed every single thing you said. If I was impolite or 'twisted' them, BE SPECIFIC and QUOTE the bits that upset you so, instead of this handwaving... and for crying out loud, report me rather than wasting our time.

Seriously, come up with some evidence to support your words instead of copying all of mine to make your point.

WTH did you think that image with all the additions was? Did you even look at it??? Did you address ANY of what was drawn on that image, and what all the other folks who tried to help, told you?

Here it is again. THIS TIME LOOK AT IT.

post-95887-0-33239400-1443995462_thumb.j

Anyways thank you everyone else, (except for the smart alecks)

Wow. You had to be asked to thank them, and then you couldn't even do that without a smarmy addition..

.. great way to give a good impression..

• Like 5

I QUOTED and addressed every single thing you said. If I was impolite or 'twisted' them, BE SPECIFIC and QUOTE the bits that upset you so, instead of this handwaving... and for crying out loud, report me rather than wasting our time.

WTH did you think that image with all the additions was? Did you even look at it??? Did you address ANY of what was drawn on that image, and what all the other folks who tried to help, told you?

Here it is again. THIS TIME LOOK AT IT.

post-95887-0-33239400-1443995462_thumb.j

Wow. You had to be asked to thank them, and then you couldn't even do that without a smarmy addition..

.. great way to give a good impression..

First off no I did not have to be asked, stop being so rude. I was waiting for all the information first. Plus I work all day so often times you are on here before I am. Yes I looked at your picture and I was not satisfied by your explanation possibly because you waste the time to quote every little bit I say rather than look to what I mean. (I know difficult to do online) plus do you watch for me to post a reply on anything?! I mean really all you are doing is just another form of hand waving. It's like mocking someone. (And you have time to do this?)

Get where I'm going here?

Btw I can draw lines on a picture, it doesn't prove anything really only that the flare lines up like you said, but I will still point out that there seems a difference in the lineup between that and other flares of the sun.

Trust me I didn't thank everyone just because you told me to, so get over yourself and let me be please. Thanks. -_- (not here to impress anyone either. I don't care what others think of me, so what need is there to impress others? I've find people end up doing stupid stuff. )

Edited by Crystal Rose
  • Like 1

I have seen a video made in some tunnel underground where people were filming those orb things. One guy said, '' oh yea, it's those little creatures ''.

Was fun, but then i checked it and video wasn't in humor category :whistle: