Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When are we going to learn to trust robots?

Still Waters

A new robot unveiled this week highlights the psychological and technical challenges of designing a humanoid that people actually want to have around.

Like all little boys, Roboy likes to show off.

He can say a few words. He can shake hands and wave. He is learning to ride a tricycle. And - every parent's pride and joy - he has a functioning musculoskeletal anatomy.

But when Roboy is unveiled this Saturday at the Robots on Tour event in Zurich, he will be hoping to charm the crowd as well as wow them with his skills.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-21623892

I don't need to be wowed by a robot. I take it someday they are going to want me to buy one, so what sort of useful thing will it do? I have children and pets already.

• Like 1

''when are we going to learn to trust robots?''

gooood question.....

i, for one, would let motoko kusanagi do a-a-l-l s-o-o-o-r-t-s to me.

Hopefully never.

• Like 1

"When are we going to learn to trust robots?"

We already do, they are already among us, heavily used in Manufacturing and Agriculture among a multitude of other things.

What I would have concerns about is A.I. Once our Artificial Intelligence gets smarter than us, we could be screwed.

Edited by Razer

Which do you trust....???

Asimo

400px-ASIMO_4.28.11.jpg

Or Awesome-O...???

awesomeo-705313.jpg

• Like 3

...What I would have concerns about is A.I. Once our Artificial Intelligence gets smarter than us, we could be screwed.

Exactly. IMO we should always leave something that allows us the ultimate upper hand.

I don't think AI will ever live up to its hype, which has been going on in IP circles for half a century. Remember HAL? Nothing remotely like it has been built or is even on the horizon.

There are many things about the human mind that computers don't duplicate. I'm inclined to think they can't, but human minds evolved naturally enough, so that door that we are missing some necessary insight that would make it possible must be left open.

I think a more likely evolution of IP than thinking machines will be machines that we use to supplement our brains: like maybe a built-in calculator and navigator and health monitor and maybe even built-in communications devices that would seem like psychic communication to the naive.

• Like 2

I think a more likely evolution of IP than thinking machines will be machines that we use to supplement our brains: like maybe a built-in calculator and navigator and health monitor and maybe even built-in communications devices that would seem like psychic communication to the naive.

This I totaly agree with. My fear about this would be that it would make a different class of people that would consider themselves superior to other humans, and I think we all know how that story goes already.

• Like 1

Robot's have the potential to surpass human beings on some levels, so long as scientists like in these articles continue their research. A robot both biological and mechanical in nature would be the ultimate robot--a hybrot.

Remote Controlled Mice Today, Remote Controlled Humans Tomorrow

Robot with a Biological Brain: new research provides insights into how the brain works

Brain in a Dish Flies Plane

Edited by Scorpius

I find humanoid robots creepy and wouldnt trust one at all. Heck I don't even trust cruise control on my car and it took me about 6 years to brave a new mobile phone!

ive had a mobil phone for about 4 years now. i only use it as a phone. i cant text, well ive never really tried, and i sometimes take the odd photo.

This I totaly agree with. My fear about this would be that it would make a different class of people that would consider themselves superior to other humans, and I think we all know how that story goes already.

They already exist, they are called the 1%ers

• Like 2

Can we program morality into intelligent, conscious robots?

I don't trust myself, let alone a robot.

Edited by ancient astronaut

Can we program morality into intelligent, conscious robots?

If robots are untrustworthy now, wait till they get Religion! :w00t:

• Like 3

that face eerily reminds me of Sonny in, "I, Robot". LOL

are we going to start seeing sci-fi fantasies fulfilled? Ceylons? Ack! LOL

Watch the old Star Trek's, they have ipads .:)

Robots will be trusted when they're reliable consumer products. They'll need to be cheaper and able to perform a variety of functions. I'll let your imagination run with what those functions might be. Cars and airplanes were once distrusted as well.

humans haven't learnt to trust each other yet, so the robots have no chance.

still, I guess it depends what colour they paint them.....

"I think the market will ultimately determine what kind of robot we're going to have."

The thing is as long as the robots have something wireless in them i.e. if they are connected to the internet in some way or bluetooth or anything there are security concerns.

I mean there are so many hackers and if we have wirelessly connected robots in every house then...

You what things could happen.

The RED EYES just means it is getting a software patch!!!

I actually prefer the WALL-E type robots, with wheels and boxy head and body. The more human looking they are the more I'm weirded out.

I think a human like robot kicks in ZOMBIE type reactions. As it does not appear to be a live, but is walking around.