Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

"Trust me, I'm a professional".... But do we?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

There was a time... Not so long ago..... When people who were classed as 'professionals' were seen as trusted pillars of the community.
People who'se word and reputation was almost beyond reproach, people you could trust, people you could turn to in times of need.......

So my question is this. Within those 'professionals' which professions do you still feel maintain some or all of that once high esteem and which do you have little or in some cases no faith in anymore?

Let me give you some examples of the types of 'professions' that I'm thinking of, but please feel free to add others that you consider suitable.
Obviously all or nearly all professional people charge for their services, so taking out any discussion of whether they are overpaid or not, who would you still consider 'trustworthy'?

(in no particualr order)

Doctors
Nurses
Solicitors/Lawyers etc
Judges
Police Officers
Accountants
Priests/nuns/Vicars
Funeral Directors/Undertakers
Military Personnel (all services)
Teachers
Scientists
Politicians
Social Workers
Bankers
Firemen/Paramedics

Edited by Atlantia, 02 October 2012 - 11:48 AM.

#2    meryt-tetisheri

meryt-tetisheri

Psychic Spy

• 1,228 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

Blind trust is dangerous and should not be granted to an individual based on his/her profession. I think a good measure is to start with open-minded trust but also bearing in mind the role played by an individual's character and personality. I would be more inclined to trust judges and nuns for example, less so lawyers and police officers (the latter were not exactly pillars of integrity in my home country where I grew up). Politicians, are at the bottom of my trust list everywhere, whatever they claim should be taken with a 'shovel', not a grain, of salt!

#3    Pulsar_J

Pulsar_J

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

Doctors - Not any more!
Nurses - Absolutely!
Solicitors/Lawyers etc - Not at all.
Judges - Yes, except Judy, she needs to calm down
Police Officers - Yesish (in my country) I know though that there will always be crooked cops about.
Accountants - Yes
Priests/nuns/Vicars - No
Funeral Directors/Undertakers - Not sure
Military Personnel (all services) - At the personal level yes, but ofcourse they know and see alot more than they're allowed to share.
Teachers - No, but mainly because of the education system.
Scientists - Yes, a scientist will gladly accept his/her work to be disproved if there is more tangible evidence against his/her original hypotheses.
Politicians - NO
Social Workers - To a degree. Depend's on their level of education in Psychological and sociological studies.
Bankers - Nope
Firemen/Paramedics - Yes
Government - Absolutely not!

Savvy?

#4    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

Good answers people!
I know it's a 'generalisation' so I'm only expecting answers within that sphere.
I know there are good and bad people within every profession.

#5    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

Doctors - they make mistakes as well as do good, I've experienced it so I don't trust them 100% anymore
Nurses - as above
Solicitors/Lawyers etc - I trust mine at the moment to make my long overdue divorce run smoothly - so far so good
Judges - who are they to judge? seriously, on the whole yes
Police Officers - too many stories of corruption and brutality for me to trust them 100%
Accountants - anyone who likes working with numbers is suspect to me! ;)
Priests/nuns/Vicars - too many paedophiles and hippocrites
Funeral Directors/Undertakers -  I'll trust them, when the time comes I won't know anything about it
Military Personnel (all services) - yes I trust them
Teachers - most are life changing
Scientists - I like the fact they are always questioning and ever learning, I trust their findings
Politicians - never!
Social Workers - same as doctors and nurses, they make poor judgements sometimes and can ruin lives. I hope to never need one in my life.
Bankers - you kidding?!
Firemen/Paramedics - again humans make mistakes that can ruin lives, but I'd trust them to save my life...I wouldn't have much choice!

#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

I don't have blind trust in anyone even the most trusted people can fail you sometimes.  It's a good way to get taken advantage of by them too.  I still trust just not blindly, you have to have some trust or you would never have surgery or take a pill, get on a plane, etc.  I just don't assume that someone won't lie to me or take advantage of my trust or just plain screw up.

There was a time I was more trusting but I learned better.

#7    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,124 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

Trust no one. :ph34r:

I watched enough of the X-Files.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#8    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostAtlantia, on 02 October 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

There was a time... Not so long ago..... When people who were classed as 'professionals' were seen as trusted pillars of the community.
People who'se word and reputation was almost beyond reproach, people you could trust, people you could turn to in times of need.......

So my question is this. Within those 'professionals' which professions do you still feel maintain some or all of that once high esteem and which do you have little or in some cases no faith in anymore?

Let me give you some examples of the types of 'professions' that I'm thinking of, but please feel free to add others that you consider suitable.
Obviously all or nearly all professional people charge for their services, so taking out any discussion of whether they are overpaid or not, who would you still consider 'trustworthy'?

(in no particualr order)

Doctors
Nurses
Solicitors/Lawyers etc
Judges
Police Officers
Accountants
Priests/nuns/Vicars
Funeral Directors/Undertakers
Military Personnel (all services)
Teachers
Scientists
Politicians
Social Workers
Bankers
Firemen/Paramedics
no one gets automatic trust from me. trust is earned by the individual, not the title.

#9    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

View PostJGirl, on 03 October 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

no one gets automatic trust from me. trust is earned by the individual, not the title.

View PostAtlantia, on 02 October 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

I know it's a 'generalisation' so I'm only expecting answers within that sphere.
I know there are good and bad people within every profession.

So Generally speaking J?

Edited by Atlantia, 04 October 2012 - 05:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users