Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1 dead, 600,000 without power

rashore

Boston (CNN) -- A monster blizzard has left at least one person dead and hundreds of thousands of New Englanders in the dark and in the cold Friday night, thanks to a storm that's already delivered whipping winds and more than a foot of snow in some parts, with prospects of even double that by the time it's done.

The storm -- actually the convergence of two powerful systems -- began in earnest Friday morning in parts of New York and is expected to continue well into Saturday in Rhode Island, eastern Massachusetts and Maine.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/08/us/northeast-blizzard/index.html

Some reports are coming in about the snow on the Eastern Seaboard... I know we got UM folks out there and I was wondering how folks are dealing with all the snow.... I'm seeing some reports of over 3 feet... And geez the ES got smacked with Sandy just a few months ago...

So, how are our Eastern Seaboard UM folks doing? What's going on in your area?

I've said this before: I'm glad I live in the tropics -- only the occasional typhoon.

• Like 1

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/08/us/northeast-blizzard/index.html

Some reports are coming in about the snow on the Eastern Seaboard... I know we got UM folks out there and I was wondering how folks are dealing with all the snow.... I'm seeing some reports of over 3 feet... And geez the ES got smacked with Sandy just a few months ago...

So, how are our Eastern Seaboard UM folks doing? What's going on in your area?

NY ans NJ aren't in terrible shape. Long island got it worse than the city .

Connecticut and Mass got slammed . New haven CT got 34 inches ? Boston 23 or so

Connecticut and Mass got slammed . New haven CT got 34 inches ? Boston 23 or so

They can handle it. If they can't a few politicians will be defeated next election.

And people that live in places like Lake Tahoe, or Reno Nevada survive just fine with this every winter........

Same as " Hurricane force winds ".....On the East coast they are called hurricanes, on the Pacific Northwest, just another winter storm.

I think the East Coast needs to man up.

• Like 2

And people that live in places like Lake Tahoe, or Reno Nevada survive just fine with this every winter........

Same as " Hurricane force winds ".....On the East coast they are called hurricanes, on the Pacific Northwest, just another winter storm.

I think the East Coast needs to man up.

When a state has it nromally they put resources into equipment etc for situations like this.

When an area who's officials don't normally have to put resources into this sort of thing have it come up on them like this, you can't blame them for being unprepared.

I bet those places with blizzards liekt his annualy have gritted/ploughed streets.

Their power lines etc are probably more insuluated and capable fo dealing with this as well.

Edited by Coffey

When a state has it nromally they put resources into equipment etc for situations like this.

When an area who's officials don't normally have to put resources into this sort of thing have it come up on them like this, you can't blame them for being unprepared.

I bet those places with blizzards liekt his annualy have gritted/ploughed streets.

Their power lines etc are probably more insuluated and capable fo dealing with this as well.

In California, and Nevada, we use chains or cables on the tires. This is not legal in New York...Not sure why. No difference on the pavement, other then do to the extreme temperature changes, more maintenence is necessary.

Power lines are the same as far as I know, although most are now under ground.

In California, and Nevada, we use chains or cables on the tires. This is not legal in New York...Not sure why. No difference on the pavement, other then do to the extreme temperature changes, more maintenence is necessary.

Power lines are the same as far as I know, although most are now under ground.

Still the local authority will have better resources/equipment to deal with it.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

Still the local authority will have better resources/equipment to deal with it.

Yes they will, better prepared. I am surprised ( considering every year a storm hits the east ) they are not better prepared.

I still say they need to man up :)

• Like 2

Yes they will, better prepared. I am surprised ( considering every year a storm hits the east ) they are not better prepared.

I still say they need to man up :)

Haha.

I didn't know they got storms that often. Is ti always snow though?

Haha.

I didn't know they got storms that often. Is ti always snow though?

New York, every year. :)

I have never personally been there, just see stories on the news about the " heat " and about the " cold" and about 120 MPH hurricanes....

I do laugh a bit, as a winter storm ( yearly ) here has winds of over 125 MPH at Cape Blanco alone, we got more then 120 inch's of rain in 2012. In Nevada, I shoveled snow every year from my drive way, I had to chain up my Pepsi truck every winter. In the Summer, it would get well over 100 Degrees.

It just seems things on the East coast that are considered " bad, or hard " are just routine yearly things on the west.

• Like 1

might hit 60 here.just did my first pre last frost planting yesterday. Hope that death toll stays low. Its often when the power goes out the unprepared start to suffer.

Edited by AsteroidX

We only had about 8 inches here in Albany.

My wife's cousin in Hartford, CT, however had more than 3 feet. He's been shoveling his driveway for about 6 hours now.

We were supposed to get 6-12 inches here in Eastern Pennsylvania, but ended up with 4-5. The weatherman had no idea what was going to happen last night. I didn't get home from work until after noon today, but all is well here.

I think when storms hit the east coast, it isn't so much the intensity as it is the number of people it impacts. You're looking at major cities with populations in the millions without mentioning all the other parts of the states and the impact on those people. From NYC to Maine, the population is well around 100 million. It's much more dense than the west.

Actually, the snow stretches from Philadelphia, but the major snowfall is from Long Island NY up.

I'm in the purple area between Allentown and the Poconos.

http://abclocal.go.c...8986203&photo=1

Wondering how Lilly is doing. I know she's up by Boston.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

We were supposed to get 6-12 inches here in Eastern Pennsylvania, but ended up with 4-5. The weatherman had no idea what was going to happen last night. I didn't get home from work until after noon today, but all is well here.

I think when storms hit the east coast, it isn't so much the intensity as it is the number of people it impacts. You're looking at major cities with populations in the millions without mentioning all the other parts of the states and the impact on those people. From NYC to Maine, the population is well around 100 million. It's much more dense than the west.

Actually, the snow stretches from Philadelphia, but the major snowfall is from Long Island NY up.

I'm in the purple area between Allentown and the Poconos.

http://abclocal.go.c...8986203&photo=1

Good point. :)

It is relative. I have lived in Florida virtually my entire life and even then didn't much worry about hurricanes until 2004. We got hit by three and we're without power for 16 days. I realize there are far worse things but living here without AC and not having the benefit of generators it can get a bit miserable. Especially when your power company talks about hardening the system and they never do and yet when a typical summer thunderstorm blows through your power goes out. That and the plumbing quits working..... Fun fun.

At least with cold you can pile on more clothing. When it's 85 at night and the humidity is 80 plus nothing helps..... Bleck.

Edited by Esoteric Toad

New York, every year. :)

I have never personally been there, just see stories on the news about the " heat " and about the " cold" and about 120 MPH hurricanes....

I do laugh a bit, as a winter storm ( yearly ) here has winds of over 125 MPH at Cape Blanco alone, we got more then 120 inch's of rain in 2012. In Nevada, I shoveled snow every year from my drive way, I had to chain up my Pepsi truck every winter. In the Summer, it would get well over 100 Degrees.

It just seems things on the East coast that are considered " bad, or hard " are just routine yearly things on the west.

I blame the local athority then, they should spend more on equipment etc to handle it.

If something happens routinely, then you are ready for it. If it happens often, you are somewhat prepared. If it happens only once a century, good luck.

• Like 1

I blame the local athority then, they should spend more on equipment etc to handle it.

That is true. I have a friend in New York, one year I mentioned we had " chains required " ( normal winter thing in the west ). He told me it is illegal to use chains or snow tires with metal, ruins the streets....I could not understand this myself.

If something happens routinely, then you are ready for it. If it happens often, you are somewhat prepared. If it happens only once a century, good luck.

But New York and New Jersey have snow every year?

Downstate New York

Average annual snowfall Days Place Inches Centimetres 10.5 Bridgehampton, Long Island 26.8 68.1 11.5 Brookhaven, Long Island 31.9 81.0 11.9 New York City, Brooklyn 22.7 57.7 11.1 New York City, Central Park 25.1 63.8 13.7 New York JFK Airport 23.8 60.5 13.1 New York La Guardia Airport 26.9 68.3 10.7 White Plains 27.7 70.4

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

A lot of urban places in the midwest and out east if I'm not mistaken use salt more than sand on streets. I think that might also play into some chain restrictions too.

I dunno what they use more out by you Sakari. Maybe they use more salt by you too and my notion is totally moot.

A lot of urban places in the midwest and out east if I'm not mistaken use salt more than sand on streets. I think that might also play into some chain restrictions too.

I dunno what they use more out by you Sakari. Maybe they use more salt by you too and my notion is totally moot.

Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and California, ......sand.

That makes sense then. Salt will melt it faster. Sand, just traction, still need chains / snow tires.

Hope the UMers and all the other people over there are ok, but doubt they will see this if they have no electricity, unless they charged up first.

Quite a weird state of affairs with our weather in certain places around the globe. I am not sure how prepared we can be if none of this is forecast in time.

We are getting snow here again, due for more flooding too, I am prepared because we have generators and are well coaled and wooded up for the fire, but many households do not know what to do when the "convenient" lifestyle gets disrupted by nature.

• Like 1

I just got my power back after more than 2 days without even heat. There's about 22 inches of new snow and many, many trees are down. It was like a blizzard/hurricane hybrid....totally horrible and frightening (kept waiting for a tree to fall on my house!). Lots of people still don't have their power...and the temperature is down in the teens (F) at night. Freezing in the dark really stinks.

• Like 1

Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and California, ......sand.

I dont think we get the frequency or intensity of snowstorms in the lower elevations either which is why sand is the standard. Its more of a holiday, Then back to normal after a day or two in the lower elevations.