Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Corporal punishment - For or against?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#91    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,963 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:42 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 05 March 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

Be careful when discussing topics with frank sherapy,the man is a word magician.He says one thing and you think he is agreeing with you then you go back realize he wasnt,but has already made a reasonable explanation of why you should :lol:
Man you know how to make someone feel good.  I think I have a different cultural outlook but at the same time have a better understanding of Western culture than many in my country, if for no reason than having studied English and visited the States for so long.

By the way, I think we are on the same page on almost everything.  I have a slightly more "spiritual" approach to things but I am no theist.

I think I have made mistakes while posting here.  One is that I was too aggressive about gun control; I reacted emotionally and without thinking hard about ways to avoid stirring anger.  The other is with Christians where I have perhaps been too anti-theist without good evidence.  Also of course there is the homosexuality debate, where I reacted much as I did in the gun control debate.  I need to remember that people who are prejudiced against homosexuals generally have this indoctrinated into them as children, so that their feelings are not going to be changed by just telling them they are bigots.  They aren't bigots but only products of their culture.

#92    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 06 March 2013 - 05:42 AM, said:

Man you know how to make someone feel good.  I think I have a different cultural outlook but at the same time have a better understanding of Western culture than many in my country, if for no reason than having studied English and visited the States for so long.

By the way, I think we are on the same page on almost everything.  I have a slightly more "spiritual" approach to things but I am no theist.

I think I have made mistakes while posting here.  One is that I was too aggressive about gun control; I reacted emotionally and without thinking hard about ways to avoid stirring anger.  The other is with Christians where I have perhaps been too anti-theist without good evidence.  Also of course there is the homosexuality debate, where I reacted much as I did in the gun control debate.  I need to remember that people who are prejudiced against homosexuals generally have this indoctrinated into them as children, so that their feelings are not going to be changed by just telling them they are bigots.  They aren't bigots but only products of their culture.

Was meant as a compliment frank,i have disagreed with some things you have said but having a different outlook is what makes your post different.Sometimes they are so different it makes one think.Thinking is a good thing because if you have a set way of mind,when one starts really thinking it can be the first step to changing thoughts.

One instance a few weeks back we were debating something cant really remember the topic,but by the end of it i almost started arguing why you were right and i was wrong hahaha :lol:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#93    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,736 posts

• "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" (Freud )

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 06 March 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

I think you have some very fortunate sons.

Thank you for your kind words. :blush:

#94    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,736 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 06 March 2013 - 05:42 AM, said:

Frank, that is what discussion and debate is for to challenge our positions and come away richer, more understanding, ( more inclusive) for the experience.

Your so called mistakes have lead you to great personal wisdom's.

IMO, they have served you well.

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.  ~Oscar Wilde

#95    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,736 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 06 March 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Was meant as a compliment frank,i have disagreed with some things you have said but having a different outlook is what makes your post different.Sometimes they are so different it makes one think.Thinking is a good thing because if you have a set way of mind,when one starts really thinking it can be the first step to changing thoughts.

One instance a few weeks back we were debating something cant really remember the topic,but by the end of it i almost started arguing why you were right and i was wrong hahaha :lol:

i agree, I have read quite few of his posts and he does offer a unique(fresh) perspective.

Edited by Sherapy, 06 March 2013 - 04:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users