Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Smartphones with emotional intelligence

smartphones emotional

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Smartphones Might Soon Develop Emotional Intelligence:

New research by a team of engineers at the University of Rochester may soon make that possible using computer program that gauges human feelings through speech.
Source

Edited by Karlis, 05 December 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#2    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,748 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

Considering the emotional swings of the average teenager, I suspect these emo-phones would burn themselves out fairly quickly. Not even to mention the fights they'd cause. Sometimes ones feelings are better left unknown.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#3    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

Or it could cause a generation to develop which is very aware of itself and its emotions.
Kind of like a constant mindfulness feedback. Which could help teenagers to develop a stronger form of self control and make emotions more discussable instead of hiding them away with sometimes extreme consequences (for instance, suicide).

#4    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,512 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

im so neglectful with my phone, im not sure i would need a phone with emotions lol

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#5    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 05 December 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

im so neglectful with my phone, im not sure i would need a phone with emotions lol
I think the idea is for the smart-phone to show the owner what type of emotions they display when they talk on the phone. That way, the person may see  how they probably are perceived by the person on the other end. If that works, maybe lots of broken relationships could be prevented.

#6    Ciss

Ciss

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostKarlis, on 05 December 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

I think the idea is for the smart-phone to show the owner what type of emotions they display when they talk on the phone. That way, the person may see  how they probably are perceived by the person on the other end. If that works, maybe lots of broken relationships could be prevented.

Hi Karlis!
I would think that having a phone that could read your emotions and then display what it has picked up would most likely cause a lot of broken relationships...like people have different gears for each setting (work place, home, out with friends, etc...) we also seem to have that when we are speaking to certain people...I love my mother-in-law but I hate talking to her especially on the phone, but out of respect I will make time to do it, is the phone going to be like a lie detector?!...I would hate to think the phone is going to display ANNOYED or something like that to her, lol! If the phone is smart enough to take into consideration that although it annoys me I do it because I love her and then display LOVE! then I'm all for it  :yes:

#7    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

• aaaah rabble rabble rabble rabble

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

View PostLilly, on 05 December 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

Considering the emotional swings of the average teenager, I suspect these emo-phones would burn themselves out fairly quickly. Not even to mention the fights they'd cause. Sometimes ones feelings are better left unknown.
^ How it will more than likely happen

View PostRender, on 05 December 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

Or it could cause a generation to develop which is very aware of itself and its emotions.
Kind of like a constant mindfulness feedback. Which could help teenagers to develop a stronger form of self control and make emotions more discussable instead of hiding them away with sometimes extreme consequences (for instance, suicide).
^ What we would all like to happen

why is everyone so &^%$ing concerned with "the end"...
new beginnings is what you should be concerned about...

#8    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

Just read another article about it, where they make the link to using this technology in robots so they can better understand humans and in return make it easier for us to work with them.

Her findings could also help robots understand human emotions, which might make robot caretakers or co-workers of the future easier to work with.

http://www.livescien...e-emotions.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users