Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would like to hear about some other religions

Jk57j

Christianity seems to really dominate this board but I would also like to hear about some of the other religions such as Voodoo, Hoodoo (which from what I've heard and read is not a religion but a practice) Paganism, Scientology (which personally I believe is nothing more than a huge scam but that's just me) etc. and perhaps start a discussion on some or all. Not that there is anything wrong with Christianity and Catholism but it would also be nice to hear from some people practicing other religions or at least some with more than basic knowledge in the areas :)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jk57j

• Yelekiah

• PLO

• Bebi

Top Posters In This Topic

well in many philosophys and metaphysics, which are not necesarily religious, deny that logic is the most important method of gaining enlightenment. Rather physical disciplines such as yoga, starvation, self-strangulation, or whirling (in the case of the Sufi dervishes) or the use of Psychoactive drugs such as LSD[and shrooms], lead to higher states of consciousness that logic can never hope to grasp. It's funny how your basic christian seems to have a dim view on the use of drug taking, considering that even in their "good" book god explians to us he gave us the herbs.

You're not the only one, I'm interested, but they have been discussed a few times on this forum. You just have to look a little harder. There are at least three Scientology-related threads. I know ramster started one that I took part in. It's just you usually can't discuss them as readily as Christianity (like Voodoo for example) because there isn't a "guidebook" such as the Bible.

You're not the only one, I'm interested, but they have been discussed a few times on this forum. You just have to look a little harder. There are at least three Scientology-related threads. I know ramster started one that I took part in. It's just you usually can't discuss them as readily as Christianity (like Voodoo for example) because there isn't a "guidebook" such as the Bible.

Oh ok sorry about that, I'm a new member so I haven't really gone through everything yet.

As to the "guidebooks" thats why I was asking, I'm always interested in finding out more about the beliefs and culture of others.

I will keep browsing through the topics and hopefully if theres anything not mentioned here someone will be kind enough to add their opinions and/or beliefs :D

well wikipedia usually a good startin point, i mean man theres like over 500 religions on the planet, sadly christianity is the most popular, and people wonder why they beleive in it LOL. But wikipedia usually give lots of info on extra reading, links and books etc.

You could surf the net punch in a keyword and see what you get, if you haven't already.

Why are you interested in other religions, if you Know nothing of the ones you mentioned what are you basing your disdain on????

Edited by Sheri berri

well in many philosophys and metaphysics, which are not necesarily religious, deny that logic is the most important method of gaining enlightenment. Rather physical disciplines such as yoga, starvation, self-strangulation, or whirling (in the case of the Sufi dervishes) or the use of Psychoactive drugs such as LSD[and shrooms], lead to higher states of consciousness that logic can never hope to grasp. It's funny how your basic christian seems to have a dim view on the use of drug taking, considering that even in their "good" book god explians to us he gave us the herbs.

I've actually heard this quite a bit, it goes back to what I'm sure we've all heard about the Native Americans and their "Peace Pipes" (wonder why they're so peaceful hehehe). I do wonder though, not to sound small minded or ignorant or anything but do you think that it is the effects of the different methods that can cause different ways of thinking? What I mean is that are these really higher levels of consciousness or is it just the reaction of the body to these methods? Perhaps it's a bit of both, allowing the mind to "relax" and open to new ideas without the thoughts of what is taboo or not to stop you?

Well if anybody wants to start a thread on Voodoo, I'll take part. The same goes for Scientology or pagan beliefs. I think to see things from a different perspective makes people more well-rounded.

You could surf the b net punch in a keyword and see what you get, if you haven't already.

Why are you interested in other religions, if you Know nothing of the ones you mentioned what are you basing your disdain on????

Honestly I don't really have any specific reason. I do have a minimal amount of knowledge in some of the religions/belief systems I mentioned in my first post, and I have seen a few things here and there on the net, I just figured that there were probably others who had the same interests in learning about other cultures and religions and I hadn't noticed much else on here besides Christianity, so I figured I would be the one to break the ice (as I mentioned earlier I'm a new member so I haven't had the chance to look through everything yet so it may be redundant to some, if thats the case I apologize). :)

well u gotta rmbr that hindooism under the vedics was created due the fact they sat about all day cained on extremely powerful hallucenagenics, no wonder they have multi armd godde's and giant but apparently graceful elephants bangin on about apocalypse', probably they just wrote down one of their bad trips and decided the worlds all gonna end[and we take it literaly AHAHAHA]. Voodoos also kinda cool cuase it comes from Africa, one of the most ancient places on the planet, where A LOT of drugs were bein munchd on.

Edited by PLO

Well if anybody wants to start a thread on Voodoo, I'll take part. The same goes for Scientology or pagan beliefs. I think to see things from a different perspective makes people more well-rounded.

I agree. Far too many people take the view that their religion is "right" therefore all others are "wrong". I think the world would be a much healthier place if people took the time to learn about others beliefs and try to understand the philosophy behind them rather than automatically assuming they're "bad" for daring to have their own beliefs...

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone even heard of a religion/cult (what, other than size and IRS is the difference?) called the Moonies? I'm not kidding, and while this might be a different group than the one I'm thinking of, I think they believe we once rode dinosaur birds (tyradactyls maybe) and now they wear high collars. Their goal in life is to be reborn on a better planet. Just curious if anyone has heard of this group.

Right well as no-one else really has I'll post a few links for people to look at. I've tried to avoid the sites already mentioned. I've tried to include a pretty comprehensive list, if anyone wants to add further sites or ask me to find out about others feel free :)

Paganism

Indian Paganism

New Orleans Cemetery & Voodoo Pages

Moonies - there IS info out there if you look

Buddhism

Shamanism

Hinduism

Islam

Scientology

Theistic Satanism

A look at Satanism by the church

Opus Dei

The best pages I found for background information about the main Christian religions are on Wikipedia, and as that site has already been suggested I won't post them individually, just post the link for the website: Wikipedia Plus this thread is mainly about other religions than Christianity. I just didn't want to be perceived as biased :tu:

Edited by Bebi

Honestly I don't really have any specific reason. I do have a minimal amount of knowledge in some of the religions/belief systems I mentioned in my first post, and I have seen a few things here and there on the net, I just figured that there were probably others who had the same interests in learning about other cultures and religions and I hadn't noticed much else on here besides Christianity, so I figured I would be the one to break the ice (as I mentioned earlier I'm a new member so I haven't had the chance to look through everything yet so it may be redundant to some, if thats the case I apologize). :)

Dude dont apologize..you can state your opinion just like everyone else..I say go with it