Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Fast-food workers demand higher wages

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...-205925413.html

"Last week, about 200 fast-food workers in New York City walked out of their workplaces—chains affected included Burger King, Wendy's and McDonald's—to demand a "living wage" of $15 an hour and an end to the practice of keeping workers on part-time hours to avoid giving them benefits or overtime. The employees also want to form a union for the city's estimated 50,000 fast-food workers to negotiate pay and benefits."

Don't you have to be skilled to make such demands?  If I were owner of a business that had unskilled workers striking, walking out, or protesting, then it would be a very easy decision for me to fire them all instantly and replace them.

#2    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:14 AM

As much as i agree with them,their position is somewhat tenuous...

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 14,542 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:15 AM

Never make the people who handle your food (out of your sight) angry :w00t:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#4    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

View Postand then, on 08 December 2012 - 02:15 AM, said:

Never make the people who handle your food (out of your sight) angry :w00t:
Yes,because you may get more than mayonnaise on your McChicken Sandwich  :whistle:

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#5    ImaLoner

ImaLoner

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

In further news.. Demand for Help Wanted signs have increased...

#6    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,064 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

View Posttapirmusic, on 08 December 2012 - 12:40 AM, said:

me to fire them all instantly and replace them.

good luck with that

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#7    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 5,542 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:57 AM

Not sure why this is in the politics thread.

Edit to add: What, someone who does the same repetitive task to make a car is 'skilled', and someone who does a repetitive task to make food is 'unskilled'.

Edited by Likely Guy, 08 December 2012 - 03:02 AM.

#8    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,055 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:21 AM

I fail to see what is wrong with expecting to earn a living wage.  Why are people okay with employers treating their staff like slaves who aren't even entitled to enough money to keep a roof over their head, pay the bills and food on the table?  $15 an hour is far from an outrageous claim by the employees.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#9    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 6,966 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:37 AM

View Posttapirmusic, on 08 December 2012 - 12:40 AM, said:

http://news.yahoo.co...-205925413.html

"Last week, about 200 fast-food workers in New York City walked out of their workplaces—chains affected included Burger King, Wendy's and McDonald's—to demand a "living wage" of $15 an hour and an end to the practice of keeping workers on part-time hours to avoid giving them benefits or overtime. The employees also want to form a union for the city's estimated 50,000 fast-food workers to negotiate pay and benefits."

Don't you have to be skilled to make such demands?  If I were owner of a business that had unskilled workers striking, walking out, or protesting, then it would be a very easy decision for me to fire them all instantly and replace them.
Hello $13 #4's if this were to happen, goodbye fast food restaurants, hello unemployement line.

View PostLikely Guy, on 08 December 2012 - 02:57 AM, said:

Not sure why this is in the politics thread.

Edit to add: What, someone who does the same repetitive task to make a car is 'skilled', and someone who does a repetitive task to make food is 'unskilled'.
I am in no way mocking anybodies way of making a living but there really is a world of difference between building a car and building a hamburger. Are you saying the fast food industry should adopt the business strategy of GM? Big asss pensions

Posted Image

#10    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 6,966 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 08 December 2012 - 03:21 AM, said:

I fail to see what is wrong with expecting to earn a living wage.  Why are people okay with employers treating their staff like slaves who aren't even entitled to enough money to keep a roof over their head, pay the bills and food on the table?  $15 an hour is far from an outrageous claim by the employees.
Because it will probably double the cost of nearly every day to day item and necessity you can imagine buying from retailers/stores that used to be paying its staff nearly half as much. It sets off a major chain reaction of business to business to consumer transactions. And the consumer it will hit and the employees new higher wage soon won't seem like much.

Posted Image

#11    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,776 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:54 AM

Good for them....people need to stand up for themselves, all of us included.

Unemployment pays more then fast food jobs ( and many others ), you can not tell me something is not wrong with that.( and no one can live on unemployment, not comfortably anyway.)

Edited by Sakari, 08 December 2012 - 03:55 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#12    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:57 AM

I guess I don't understand why business people are commended if they find a way to make extra money, but the workers are villified if they do the same.

This is the way of the capitalist society.  If those workers demand higher wages and there is a line of people willing to take their jobs, then obviously the market dictates that it's not sustainable.  If however the owner can't keep enough workers to meet the customers needs, they would be better served to pay more in wages.   They workers aren't greedy or jerks for trying to get more.  I say more power to them.

#13    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,781 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:07 AM

The real minimum wage is zero.  --Thomas Sowell

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#14    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,781 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:11 AM

The real problem isn't low wages.  The problem is inflation.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#15    K_Bonita

K_Bonita

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 258 posts

• For every dark night,there's a brighter day.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:19 AM

That's too much to ask for working at a fast food restuarant, I had to actually go to college get working skills so I can make decent money to live.

What kind of skills do you need to have to work at fast food restaurant that make you say "hey I deserve to make $15 an hour"?...but this is just too much to ask for in my opinion

“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then. ”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users