Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Existential Depression among the Gifted

Cassea

The artistically gifted ,are known to have above average intelligence,and score high on IQ tests .

http://www.artisticnetwork.net/arts/260/identifying_artistically_gifted_children.html

I am artistically gifted in that I can depict things better than most. However, I would have to distinguish technical skill from creativity. The former I view as a skill that can be improved, the latter is more of what I'd consider a gift. I would disagree with the idea that artistic children generally have higher IQs. People with psychotic disorders and some autistic people can be very creative, yet have lower IQs.

I've never had an IQ test because I don't put much stock into them. They are limited And necessarily artificial In that they dont tell you so much about how youll perform in more complex, real world tasks. I've taken online tests for fun, but I don't trust their validity or reliability. I know my strengths and weaknesses. One shouldn't need a test to tell you what you already know.

Edited by Cybele
  • Like 1

I did a couple of experiments once on another forum. In one I stated in a matter of fact way that i I have an IQ of 160. The amount of negativity that then poored upon me was tremendous. In another forum i stated that I believed I was a messenger from god. I maintained an even logical and scientific tone. I was the center of attention for severely negative attacks, near constant ridicule, and frankly what amounted to bullying. It was fun to tear the bullying group apart logically

But the more reason I used, the more hostile they got.

Perhaps this had something to do with you making unlikely claims you were unable to back up?

• Like 1

That's what is quite amusing. It is not a lucky advantage. It is a lonely existence. Most people I know who struggle with this don't feel "exceptional." Quite the opposite. They are taught their whole lives to hide it. Not to talk about it. Or constantly told we think too much. I have yet to see this "gifted" issue be anything positive. That's why I wanted to start this thread. To reach out to others as well.

ok then it certainly isn't a gift.

i am no stranger to this, btw. although i don't refer to myself as gifted.

• Like 1

Perhaps this had something to do with you making unlikely claims you were unable to back up?

It wasn't about that. It was about the sour and fragile egos of people. Besides how would they know or not if I were an auto dictate with an IQ of 160 or not. Or a messenger from god which I'm not.

Oh.., I don't make claims that I can't back up, and if they are personal opinions I will say so, or if they are personal experiences... I will also say so. And if I am LOGICALLY prooven wrong i will admit my foot in my mouth.

Edited by Seeker79

I did a couple of experiments once on another forum. In one I stated in a matter of fact way that i I have an IQ of 160. The amount of negativity that then poored upon me was tremendous. In another forum i stated that I believed I was a messenger from god. I maintained an even logical and scientific tone. I was the center of attention for severely negative attacks, near constant ridicule, and frankly what amounted to bullying. It was fun to tear the bullying group apart logically

It wasn't about that. It was about the sour and fragile egos of people. Besides how would they know or not if I were an auto dictate with an IQ of 160 or not. Or a messenger from god which I'm not.

Isnt this what people call trolling? In the rules here it sounds like trolling. And to be honest it makes me wonder if you're still trying similar 'experiments' for fun, to again be in the center of attention, Seeker.

• Like 2

Isnt this what people call trolling? In the rules here it sounds like trolling. And to be honest it makes me wonder if you're still trying similar 'experiments' for fun, to again be in the center of attention, Seeker.

The motivation is not necesarily to be the centre of attention. Such experiments can have legitimate learning purposes. How is stating an IQ, trolling? No one will accept it, necessarily, without evidences.

Personally I would have believed seeker if i had read that post. He sounds a lot like me, and my IQ has measured that high on some tests (after a period of training my self to do well on such tests by doing dozens of them and learning what they were designed to test for, I could go even higher on some)

For a couple of decades i did IQ tests and trained for them, like some people go to gym and exercise to improve their fitness. I found it a lot of fun and an interesting challenge,

Im sorry I am not qualified to offer a comment on depression. I've never had a moments depression in my life, for which I account myself very fortunate.

Apart from good biological/chemical health, I have always trained and disciplined my mind, and maintained a regime of cognitive therapy, and self awareness, which i think prevents many forms of non clinical depression.

In another forum i stated that I believed I was a messenger from god. I maintained an even logical and scientific tone. I was the center of attention for severely negative attacks, near constant ridicule, and frankly what amounted to bullying. It was fun to tear the bullying group apart logically

Besides how would they know or not if I were an auto dictate with an IQ of 160 or not. Or a messenger from god which I'm not.

The motivation is not necesarily to be the centre of attention. Such experiments can have legitimate learning purposes. How is stating an IQ, trolling? No one will accept it, necessarily, without evidences.

I think claiming that you are a messenger from God and then admitting that you are not IS trolling, and it seemed he enjoyed it. The IQ seems to of been done in the same manner. And personally I think those quotes above say much about a persons character. Some will be happy to make up lies and role play and some would never dream of it. It can give those with true experiences a bad name/tarnish. So I think those that make up lies and role play are kidding themselves to claim it was for a legitimate learning purposes(especially while finding it fun). So they can try but to me its just an excuse. Also how could anyone take anything said by that person seriously again.

Personally I would have believed seeker if i had read that post. He sounds a lot like me, *snip

Oh I know you would... you are really two pea's in a pod(or something like that), sometimes I wonder if you are the same person. But you know its funny. I said to myself that I bet the next person to post after my last post above will be Mr Walker. I was even going to write that down and put a clock down or something and take a picture to show how 'psychic' I am. I wonder if anyone else thought that(knew that you would post afterwards). You are very predictable.. And it was your first post in this thread too..

Maybe I'm gifted too to know that. ?

Anyway, interesting thread.

Edited by Kazahel
  • Like 3

You guys are mistaking different with intelligence. I meant many amazing and strange people. They probably had many similar problems. It does not make them gifted or intelligence.

One who thinks deeper is no better then one who does not. Success and "gifted" are personal means and are impossible to discuss as everyone feels different about them. I meant many people are successful which I believe are stupid. In my mind may make them a failure in my own personal opinion. However they have money and live a good life. So to others they are a success.

One could say you are proud your daughter because she makes alot of money and lives a good life. You could be disappointed because she is a prostitute.

You can't...objectively use these terms.

Also, some people mistake the classical circular thinking that often accompanies depression with deep thinking. I have a relative that has an IQ that is beyond our ability to measure and has 3 or 4 doctorates in different sciences. He also suffers from clinical depression. He believes at the time that the thinking he does when he is in a symptomatic state is deeper than the thinking he does when he is asymptomatic, but it isn't. It is confused and disjointed and has never gotten him anywhere in his field. The rational thinking he does in the asymptomatic state has gotten him many accolades and even a nomination for a Nobel prize.

I am artistically gifted in that I can depict things better than most. However, I would have to distinguish technical skill from creativity. The former I view as a skill that can be improved, the latter is more of what I'd consider a gift. I would disagree with the idea that artistic children generally have higher IQs. People with psychotic disorders and some autistic people can be very creative, yet have lower IQs.

I've never had an IQ test because I don't put much stock into them. They are limited And necessarily artificial In that they dont tell you so much about how youll perform in more complex, real world tasks. I've taken online tests for fun, but I don't trust their validity or reliability. I know my strengths and weaknesses. One shouldn't need a test to tell you what you already know.

How did you avoid it when you were in primary school? They tested my IQ constantly, so much so that I learned how to get low or high numbers that have nothing to do with my actual IQ. They did a lot of IQ tests on my children too. Also, I am dumbfounded to read these stories about how adults and peers were mean to people because they were above average intelligence. I spent most of my primary and secondary school life wishing the teachers would leave me alone and stop finding things to sign me up for. When I found out that my oldest daughter had a very high IQ, I was against sending her down that same path. Although, I probably went too far in the other direction.

Personally I would have believed seeker if i had read that post. He sounds a lot like me, and my IQ has measured that high on some tests (after a period of training my self to do well on such tests by doing dozens of them and learning what they were designed to test for, I could go even higher on some)

For a couple of decades i did IQ tests and trained for them, like some people go to gym and exercise to improve their fitness. I found it a lot of fun and an interesting challenge,

i think the accusation of trolling had to do with the fact that seeker claims he intentionally baited the other readers with that information to see what they would do/say.

i'm not suggesting that is trolling, but i can see how it would be considered that by some.

in any case

the nature of IQ tests are such that if you train for them the score is not accurate.

it's like knowing the answers to a test already before sitting down to write it

i don't doubt your IQ is fairly high, just by reading your posts, but i doubt training for the test makes you more intelligent.

Edited by JGirl

I think claiming that you are a messenger from God and then admitting that you are not IS trolling, and it seemed he enjoyed it. The IQ seems to of been done in the same manner. And personally I think those quotes above say much about a persons character. Some will be happy to make up lies and role play and some would never dream of it. It can give those with true experiences a bad name/tarnish. So I think those that make up lies and role play are kidding themselves to claim it was for a legitimate learning purposes(especially while finding it fun). So they can try but to me its just an excuse. Also how could anyone take anything said by that person seriously again.

Oh I know you would... you are really two pea's in a pod(or something like that), sometimes I wonder if you are the same person. But you know its funny. I said to myself that I bet the next person to post after my last post above will be Mr Walker. I was even going to write that down and put a clock down or something and take a picture to show how 'psychic' I am. I wonder if anyone else thought that(knew that you would post afterwards). You are very predictable.. And it was your first post in this thread too..

Excellent post.. You are observant..I agree with every word

It wasn't on this forum my friend. It was just an experiment. I behaveed the same way as I normally do but with a different name or a simple statement. The negativity was overwhelming. I did it because I was curious. For fun... You know entertainment.

I'm sorry you take Internet forums so seriously. For me it's like television just a medium to keep my mind occupied, or a pressure valve, also a place to express myself freely. Im sorry you don't like what I do here, I can't seem to make you happy. Every time you post towards me its some kind of Snyd comment. Did I do something to you?

You wouldn't be trying to steal some of my coveted attention would you Kaz?

He sounds a lot like me, and my IQ has measured that high on some tests

;)

I always though MW might be Christopher Langan or Neil Donald Walch. But he is defiantly not me :(

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Langan

A few years ago I also though jgirl might be Sara Palin.

Edited by Seeker79

A few years ago I also though jgirl might be Sara Palin.

LOL! are you on meds or what?

i haven't even been here three years and in any case i spent many a post bashing that airheaded bimbo

LOL! are you on meds or what?

i haven't even been here three years and in any case i spent many a post bashing that airheaded bimbo

Hahaha yeah well... I changed my mind. Hahahaha

Excellent post.. You are observant..I agree with every word

Thankyou.

It wasn't on this forum my friend. It was just an experiment. I behaveed the same way as I normally do but with a different name or a simple statement. The negativity was overwhelming. I did it because I was curious. For fun... You know entertainment.

I didnt say it was on this forum. I said in the rules here it sounds like trolling and it makes me wonder if you're still trying similar 'experiments' for fun.

I'm sorry you take Internet forums so seriously. For me it's like television just a medium to keep my mind occupied, or a pressure valve, also a place to express myself freely. Im sorry you don't like what I do here, I can't seem to make you happy. Every time you post towards me its some kind of Snyd comment. Did I do something to you?

I just dont like liars who tell stories for fun, they have no honour at all. So you can treat the internet like a place for you to role play and troll but that doesnt mean I have to like it. And I dont think its being snide to speak my mind about this. Imo the type of person who would actually role play and say they are a messenger from God to see how others react doesnt change from simply changing forum. The only thing they tend to change is their role.

Anyway I think thats all that needs to be said about this. And you should not take offense from simple observations.

• Like 1

How did you avoid it when you were in primary school? They tested my IQ constantly, so much so that I learned how to get low or high numbers that have nothing to do with my actual IQ. They did a lot of IQ tests on my children too. Also, I am dumbfounded to read these stories about how adults and peers were mean to people because they were above average intelligence. I spent most of my primary and secondary school life wishing the teachers would leave me alone and stop finding things to sign me up for. When I found out that my oldest daughter had a very high IQ, I was against sending her down that same path. Although, I probably went too far in the other direction.

Standardized tests like the SAT, ACT and GRE--all of which I've been required to take as a part of my education here in the U.S.-- are not IQ tests, though they may correlate with them. They are certainly correlated with educational attainment. I've never taken an official IQ test such as Stanford-Binet, WISC, WAIS, etc. I'm guessing from your use of "primary" school that you're from Britain?

I've taken many standardized tests required for school and a few summers ago I took an aptitude test because I thought it would help me figure out what sorts of careers would be best for me, based on my strengths and weaknesses. They all seem artificial and limited to me. For example, multiple choice or analogy vocabulary tests can't tell you if you truly understand what a word means. You can have a general sense for the meaning of a word and have no idea how to use it properly in a sentence or in writing without prompting. Or you could just be good at test-taking and eliminating incorrect answer choices.

I agree in that I don't think intelligence, by itself, determines the way in which you are treated. Personality, attitude and confidence are often more important in this regard.

Edited by Cybele

Thankyou.

I didnt say it was on this forum. I said in the rules here it sounds like trolling and it makes me wonder if you're still trying similar 'experiments' for fun.

I just dont like liars who tell stories for fun, they have no honour at all. So you can treat the internet like a place for you to role play and troll but that doesnt mean I have to like it. And I dont think its being snide to speak my mind about this. Imo the type of person who would actually role play and say they are a messenger from God to see how others react doesnt change from simply changing forum. The only thing they tend to change is their role.

Anyway I think thats all that needs to be said about this. And you should not take offense from simple observations.

Who said I was a lier? Who said I was role playing? My IQ might be between 155 and 160. I chose a handle that said amessengerfromgod and I might believe I a actually have some information from the divine. Other than that I acted like I always do.. You jump to a hell a lot of conclusions about me. Frankly since you jump out of nowhere and derailed a thread just to point out how immoral I am and not the only thread by the way ... I'm starting to think you are the troll. Something about me irks or threatens you so you feel the need to put me down every chance you get. Really kaz who really has the problem here? Really man get over it. I don't want your attention. Put me on ignore sheeeeesssh.

To bring the thread back, this is exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned the negativity of others. You made my point in the clearest terms possible. I could not have explained it any better than you demonstrated.

Edited by Seeker79

They watch you first, and see how quickly and accurately you do your work, then the start with the iq tests with the lovely bonus of still having to do those standardized tests. Stray to far from the average(too high or too low) and your boned taking iq tests. At least it was the case in my elementary school back years ago.

• Like 1

They watch you first, and see how quickly and accurately you do your work, then the start with the iq tests with the lovely bonus of still having to do those standardized tests. Stray to far from the average(too high or too low) and your boned taking iq tests. At least it was the case in my elementary school back years ago.

i wasn't aware that i was taking an IQ test when it was given to me in grade school. i was part of a program the government had going where they chose certain students from each class and tested them separately for part of each day for part of the school year.

i thought it was very cool to be taken out of class - the stuff we were doing was easy and fun. i had no idea what it was all about

ended up i was pushed ahead from fifth grade to seventh grade as a result of the testing.

that was great as far as my academic abilities went, but i was barely 11 years old and did not fit in socially with my peers. i hated it.

• Like 1

Not surprised about them not telling you it was because of kids like me. I figured out that if you do well on it you get bumped up from a Saved by the bell episode(I was like 10 so it's excusable right?) before so I flubbed the first few on purpose. Then when they had enough of me wasting their time I made them promise not to bump me up.

• Like 1

Who said I was a lier?

Well, would you like to link to these threads you speak about where you did what you say you did? I don't believe this actually happened.

Oh.., I don't make claims that I can't back up, and if they are personal opinions I will say so, or if they are personal experiences... I will also say so. And if I am LOGICALLY prooven wrong i will admit my foot in my mouth.

Again, it would be interesting to see these threads, and see how accurate your description of how you and the others really acted, and if the way they acted was truly because of 'sour egos'. If all you said is true, then those sour egos were manipulated to be that way. By you. For fun.

It is not suprising that i replied, given that i do have a lot of empathy for seeker, As for first post, dont forget we are on the other side of the world. When this thread started I was fast asleep and i am also busy marking and doing about 100 reports atm. i would have made a comment, as in my second post, but i really do not have a lot to offer on the topic of depression. Its an alien concept to me.

You say predictable, I say consistent. And yes i am consistent and thus predictable. That' s a good quality IMO. It trends into a real stubborness which allows me to achieve anything, given enough time.