Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Existential Depression among the Gifted

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#46    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

View PostJGirl, on 25 November 2012 - 07:58 AM, said:

i don't think it's a social taboo to refer to oneself in a positive way. i think the problem arises when one feels the need to refer to how exceptional they are. or special or 'gifted'.
i hate the use of the term 'gifted' to refer to advantage. just call it what it is. a lucky advantage
I did a couple of experiments once on another forum. In one I stated in a matter of fact way that i I have an IQ of 160. The amount of negativity that then poored upon me was tremendous. In another forum  i stated that I believed I was a messenger from god. I maintained an even logical and scientific tone. I was the center of attention for severely negative attacks, near constant ridicule, and frankly what amounted to bullying. It was fun to tear the bullying group apart logically
But the more reason I used, the more hostile they got.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#47    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,557 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

View PostCassea, on 25 November 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

This is not my "diagnosis" per se.  It is one of the parts of the issues I deal with.  It's not a formal diagnosis, but an observation.   And my therapist is a psychologist and part of a team.

All depression is existential. You wouldn't suffer from "rationalist depression" would you?

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#48    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

View Postkarmakazi, on 25 November 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

I experienced a mix of positivity and negativity depending on who I was interacting with.  There were a few adults/ teachers who were very encouraging but most didn't care either way.  Then there were a few who inexplicably hated me and singled me out, which really didn't help with my peers opinion of me.  For the most part, my peers wanted nothing to do with me and because of that, I definitely did not feel exceptional, special, or even useful.

If someone is depressed at that young an age, the greater opportunities can become irrelevant.  (I was depressed prior to 10 years of age)   Despite my IQ I barely graduated, not because of ability but because of depression and frustration, and that I found school both boring and terrifying.  Except for science, biology in particular.  I could have studied cell function, DNA and molecular structure endlessly.

As for similar peers, not for me.  There were similarly minded students, but I was the bottom rung of the popularity food chain in school, so even people who might enjoy talking to me when the teachers forced them to partner with me on a project would still avoid me like the plague outside of class to protect their own social status.

This is very true.   It is indicative in some of the comments even here.  There is a disdain attached to being that aware throughout your life.   Since it is not an average way of thinking the opportunities that seem fruitful are difficult to grasp.   And there are so many systems in place that you have to learn to function in the system.   You don't get to be who you really are deep inside.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#49    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 25 November 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

I did a couple of experiments once on another forum. In one I stated in a matter of fact way that i I have an IQ of 160. The amount of negativity that then poored upon me was tremendous. In another forum  i stated that I believed I was a messenger from god. I maintained an even logical and scientific tone. I was the center of attention for severely negative attacks, near constant ridicule, and frankly what amounted to bullying. It was fun to tear the bullying group apart logically
i don't think you can use that as a gauge though.
just recently becky's mom and i both reported our IQs on a thread here and not one person challenged us or made any comment, derogatory or otherwise. (mine is a decent score, but hers is way up there)

#50    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Hmmm.

This will keep me thinking for a while.
Nice thread.

#51    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• 1,432 posts

• Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 25 November 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

The artistically gifted ,are known to have above average intelligence,and score high on IQ tests .
http://www.artisticn...d_children.html

I am artistically gifted in that I can depict things better than most. However, I would have to distinguish technical skill from creativity. The former I view as a skill that can be improved, the latter is more of what I'd consider a gift. I would disagree with the idea that artistic children generally have higher IQs. People with psychotic disorders and some autistic people can be very creative, yet have lower IQs.

I've never had an IQ test because I don't put much stock into them. They are limited And necessarily artificial In that they dont tell you so much about how youll perform in more complex, real world tasks. I've taken online tests for fun, but I don't trust their validity or reliability. I know my strengths and weaknesses. One shouldn't need a test to tell you what you already know.

Edited by Cybele, 25 November 2012 - 11:44 PM.

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#52    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• 1,432 posts

• Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

Perhaps this had something to do with you making unlikely claims you were unable to back up?

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#53    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:17 AM

View PostCassea, on 25 November 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

That's what is quite amusing.  It is not a lucky advantage.  It is a lonely existence.  Most people I know who struggle with this don't feel "exceptional."  Quite the opposite.  They are taught their whole lives to hide it.  Not to talk about it.   Or constantly told we think too much.  I have yet to see this "gifted" issue be anything positive.  That's why I wanted to start this thread.  To reach  out to others as well.
ok then it certainly isn't a gift.
i am no stranger to this, btw. although i don't refer to myself as gifted.

#54    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:39 AM

View PostCybele, on 25 November 2012 - 11:57 PM, said:

Perhaps this had something to do with you making unlikely claims you were unable to back up?
It wasn't about that. It was about the sour and fragile  egos of people. Besides how would they know or not if I were an auto dictate with an IQ of 160 or not. Or a messenger from god which I'm not.

Oh.., I don't make claims that I can't back up, and if they are personal opinions I will say so, or if they are personal experiences... I will also say so. And if I am LOGICALLY prooven wrong i will admit my foot in my mouth.

Edited by Seeker79, 26 November 2012 - 03:43 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#55    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,987 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 26 November 2012 - 03:39 AM, said:

It wasn't about that. It was about the sour and fragile  egos of people. Besides how would they know or not if I were an auto dictate with an IQ of 160 or not. Or a messenger from god which I'm not.

Isnt this what people call trolling?  In the rules here it sounds like trolling. And to be honest it makes me wonder if you're still trying similar 'experiments' for fun, to again be in the center of attention, Seeker.

#56    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,648 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

View PostKazahel, on 26 November 2012 - 06:51 AM, said:

Isnt this what people call trolling?  In the rules here it sounds like trolling. And to be honest it makes me wonder if you're still trying similar 'experiments' for fun, to again be in the center of attention, Seeker.
The motivation is not necesarily to be the centre of attention. Such experiments can have legitimate learning purposes. How is stating an IQ, trolling? No one will accept it, necessarily, without evidences.

Personally I would have believed seeker if i had read that post. He sounds a lot like me, and my IQ has measured that high on some tests (after a period of training my self to do well on such tests by doing dozens of them and learning what they were designed  to test for, I could go even higher on some)
For a couple of decades i did IQ tests and trained for them, like some people go to gym and exercise to improve their fitness. I found it a lot of fun and an interesting challenge,

Im sorry I am not qualified to offer a comment on depression. I've never had a moments depression in my life, for which I account myself very fortunate.

Apart from good biological/chemical health, I have always trained and disciplined my mind,  and maintained a regime of cognitive therapy, and self awareness, which i think prevents many forms of non clinical depression.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#57    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,987 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

In another forum  i stated that I believed I was a messenger from god. I maintained an even logical and scientific tone. I was the center of attention for severely negative attacks, near constant ridicule, and frankly what amounted to bullying. It was fun to tear the bullying group apart logically

View PostSeeker79, on 26 November 2012 - 03:39 AM, said:

Besides how would they know or not if I were an auto dictate with an IQ of 160 or not. Or a messenger from god which I'm not.

View PostMr Walker, on 26 November 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

The motivation is not necesarily to be the centre of attention. Such experiments can have legitimate learning purposes. How is stating an IQ, trolling? No one will accept it, necessarily, without evidences.

I think claiming that you are a messenger from God and then admitting that you are not IS trolling, and it seemed he enjoyed it. The IQ seems to of been done in the same manner. And personally I think those quotes above say much about a persons character. Some will be happy to make up lies and role play and some would never dream of it. It can give those with true experiences a bad name/tarnish. So I think those that make up lies and role play are kidding themselves to claim it was for a legitimate learning purposes(especially while finding it fun). So they can try but to me its just an excuse.  Also how could anyone take anything said by that person seriously again.

Personally I would have believed seeker if i had read that post. He sounds a lot like me, *snip

Oh I know you would... you are really two pea's in a pod(or something like that), sometimes I wonder if you are the same person.  But you know its funny. I said to myself that I bet the next person to post after my last post above will be Mr Walker. I was even going to write that down and put a clock down or something and take a picture to show how 'psychic' I am. I wonder if anyone else thought that(knew that you would post afterwards).  You are very predictable.. And it was your first post in this thread too..

Maybe I'm gifted too to know that. ?

Anyway, interesting thread.

Edited by Kazahel, 26 November 2012 - 01:14 PM.

#58    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

View PostKazoo, on 24 November 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

You guys are mistaking different with intelligence. I meant many amazing and strange people. They probably had many similar problems. It does not make them gifted or intelligence.

One who thinks deeper is no better then one who does not. Success and "gifted" are personal means and are impossible to discuss as everyone feels different about them. I meant many people are successful which I believe are stupid. In my mind may make them a failure in my own personal opinion. However they have money and live a good life. So to others they are a success.

One could say you are proud your daughter because she makes alot of money and lives a good life. You could be disappointed because she is a prostitute.

You can't...objectively  use these terms.

Also, some people mistake the classical circular thinking that often accompanies depression with deep thinking.  I have a relative that has an IQ that is beyond our ability to measure and has 3 or 4 doctorates in different sciences.  He also suffers from clinical depression.  He believes at the time that the thinking he does when he is in a symptomatic state is deeper than the thinking he does when he is asymptomatic, but it isn't.  It is confused and disjointed and has never gotten him anywhere in his field.  The rational thinking he does in the asymptomatic state has gotten him many accolades and even a nomination for a Nobel prize.

#59    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

View PostCybele, on 25 November 2012 - 11:42 PM, said:

I am artistically gifted in that I can depict things better than most. However, I would have to distinguish technical skill from creativity. The former I view as a skill that can be improved, the latter is more of what I'd consider a gift. I would disagree with the idea that artistic children generally have higher IQs. People with psychotic disorders and some autistic people can be very creative, yet have lower IQs.

I've never had an IQ test because I don't put much stock into them. They are limited And necessarily artificial In that they dont tell you so much about how youll perform in more complex, real world tasks. I've taken online tests for fun, but I don't trust their validity or reliability. I know my strengths and weaknesses. One shouldn't need a test to tell you what you already know.

How did you avoid it when you were in primary school?  They tested my IQ constantly, so much so that I learned how to get low or high numbers that have nothing to do with my actual IQ.  They did a lot of IQ tests on my children too.  Also, I am dumbfounded to read these stories about how adults and peers were mean to people because they were above average intelligence.  I spent most of my primary and secondary school life wishing the teachers would leave me alone and stop finding things to sign me up for.  When I found out that my oldest daughter had a very high IQ, I was against sending her down that same path.  Although, I probably went too far in the other direction.

#60    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Personally I would have believed seeker if i had read that post. He sounds a lot like me, and my IQ has measured that high on some tests (after a period of training my self to do well on such tests by doing dozens of them and learning what they were designed  to test for, I could go even higher on some)
For a couple of decades i did IQ tests and trained for them, like some people go to gym and exercise to improve their fitness. I found it a lot of fun and an interesting challenge,

i think the accusation of trolling had to do with the fact that seeker claims he intentionally baited the other readers with that information to see what they would do/say.
i'm not suggesting that is trolling, but i can see how it would be considered that by some.
in any case
the nature of IQ tests are such that if you train for them the score is not accurate.
it's like knowing the answers to a test already before sitting down to write it
i don't doubt your IQ is fairly high, just by reading your posts, but i doubt training for the test makes you more intelligent.

Edited by JGirl, 26 November 2012 - 04:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users